McDermott keeps making game and clock management mistakes

Yeah, we're 8-6 and in the playoffs.  We may snap the drought.  But it's hard watching McD make the same mistakes game after game.  That TO before the 3rd down in the 4th QTR nearly cost us the game.  It saved Miami at least 40 seconds, which allowed them the onside kick and recovery.  I know we won, but I'm worried that one of these mistakes will cost us, like in the playoffs.  Why can't we ever get a coach with game and clock management skills? 

I can see why that was called. It looks worse in hindsight, but when your team execution is horrendous, it's hard to blame the coach.

The second they snapped the ball, 2 men were 3 yards into the backfield right in front of McCoy...our O-line was trash in the run game all day, so McDermott probably wanted to call a designed play & give them time to talk it over to ensure there weren't any stupid mistakes. But nope, still were stupid mistakes.

I mean 4th & goal at the 1 yard line, and Groy gets added as a 6th linemen only to get a false start? Then Mills gets a personal foul called on him on top of it? Seriously, the discipline of this line is atrocious. You have yard to go to get a TD and put away the game, instead you get 2 offensive penalties that stack & get the kicking team sent out on the field -_-

And that doesn't even include the blown up run plays that got us to 4th down in the first place. Looking back earlier, we had Ducasse get beat by a freaking corner leading to a sack! He just tapped the guy, then got burnt, getting Tyrod blown up...

Thankfully they were MOSTLY good on pass protection other than a few stupid sacks like that. Tyrod usually had a lot of time to throw, he just started playing it safe again once the 2nd half came around.

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You literally can NOT say that. You can't predict how the clock would have played out after that sans a timeout.

Dude, come on.

100% right. Don't see anything wrong with the call.

8 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Yeah, we're 8-6 and in the playoffs.  We may snap the drought.  But it's hard watching McD make the same mistakes game after game.  That TO before the 3rd down in the 4th QTR nearly cost us the game.  It saved Miami at least 40 seconds, which allowed them the onside kick and recovery.  I know we won, but I'm worried that one of these mistakes will cost us, like in the playoffs.  Why can't we ever get a coach with game and clock management skills? 

Bolded alone is all you need to forget the rest. 

6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I can see why that was called. It looks worse in hindsight, but when your team execution is horrendous, it's hard to blame the coach.

The second they snapped the ball, 2 men were 3 yards into the backfield right in front of McCoy...our O-line was trash in the run game all day, so McDermott probably wanted to call a designed play & give them time to talk it over to ensure there weren't any stupid mistakes. But nope, still were stupid mistakes.

I mean 4th & goal at the 1 yard line, and Groy gets added as a 6th linemen only to get a false start? Then Mills gets a personal foul called on him on top of it? Seriously, the discipline of this line is atrocious. You have yard to go to get a TD and put away the game, instead you get 2 offensive penalties that stack & get the kicking team sent out on the field -_-

And that doesn't even include the blown up run plays that got us to 4th down in the first place. Looking back earlier, we had Ducasse get beat by a freaking corner leading to a sack! He just tapped the guy, then got burnt, getting Tyrod blown up...

Thankfully they were MOSTLY good on pass protection other than a few stupid sacks like that. Tyrod usually had a lot of time to throw, he just started playing it safe again once the 2nd half came around.

100% right. Don't see anything wrong with the call.

Groy’s false start saved the game, btw. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Sweats said:

All i know is that when it's 4th and 7 and you're in FG range, you take the points.

Take the friggin points!!!!!!

Yep.  Especially when you have a kicker whose made 15 straight from 50 yards plus.

Oh well, I really cant get too upset though after a win against the Fish

1 minute ago, KW95 said:

how about the QB hiking the ball consistently with 10 seconds left on the play clock during the whole 4rth quarter

Don't worry Cutler helped him out by hiking with 1 second to go in the entire game, even down by 3 scores 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Even when you're 4th and 1 in FG range YOU TAKE THE POINTS.

But don't tell domdab99 that.

I think a punt there would have also been acceptable.  The going for it didn't make much sense.  Tyrod if he was smarter would have put the ball where Clay could make a play - because an interception doesn't necessarily hurt you there either.   Unless it's of course returned further than the original LOS.

11 minutes ago, GG said:

Groy’s false start saved the game, btw. 

It saved points.  Not sure it would have mattered in the outcome.

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I think a punt there would have also been acceptable.  The going for it didn't make much sense.  Tyrod if he was smarter would have put the ball where Clay could make a play - because an interception doesn't necessarily hurt you there either.   Unless it's of course returned further than the original LOS.

Why got for a low-percentage long pass in that situation?

28 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Yea, after 17 years hate to make the playoffs with a coach that messed up a few timeouts. Pegs should definitely clean house after this season.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I'm sure that's the coaches' fault somehow.

The first time they snapped it with lots of time remaining it may not be his fault but it's his responsibility to make sure to tell TT to drain the clock. He is the head coach and clock management is his responsibility. TT for sure should have known better, I'm not excusing that

Just now, billsfan11 said:

It's true. Thank the lord groy is incompetent or that would have been a big play for Miami 

I'm just astonished by the same people who criticized the punt here criticizing that call in this game.

It's hypocrisy at its finest.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, joesixpack said:

I'm just astonished by the same people who criticized the punt here criticizing that call in this game.

I criticized the punt but I also would have taken the 3 points there.

Game awareness because it makes it a 3 score game in the 2nd half.

Where i don't criticize mcd was going for it on 4th and 7 from the 35. They didn't get it but i think it was the right call because they were in no mans land

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I dunno. He played great last year. He hasn't played hardly at all this year. He played one total play last week against the Colts and it was the game winning TD by Shady. 

Lol I know, just making a joke. I have nothing against the guy

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

That's just stupid. It's a totally different call. They should have gone for the FG this time for sure. It's obvious. Hauschka has a great leg. He's hit 12 of the last 13 over 50. We need the 3 points. It's fourth and 7. You're a total moron if you think that is the same call. It's embarrassing Joe. 

44 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

not recovering the onside kick nearly cost us the game

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

not recovering the onside kick nearly cost us the game

Not being able to stop a nosebleed almost cost us the game.

If not for Cutler gifting us some turnovers, the defense was giving up plays all 2nd half. If it was 3rd & 20, you just knew they'd make it. 4th & 14? Easy stop for anyone but the Bills. It was maddening out there.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's just stupid. It's a totally different call. They should have gone for the FG this time for sure. It's obvious. Hauschka has a great leg. He's hit 12 of the last 13 over 50. We need the 3 points. It's fourth and 7. You're a total moron if you think that is the same call. It's embarrassing Joe. 

You must not have been in the gameday thread.

I wanted a FG on 4th and 1 from the 1. Because you ALWAYS take the points.

100% of the time. Also thought a punt was the right call on the long attempt to Clay.

Just now, BigDingus said:

Not being able to stop a nosebleed almost cost us the game.

If not for Cutler gifting us some turnovers, the defense was giving up plays all 2nd half. If it was 3rd & 20, you just knew they'd make it. 4th & 14? Easy stop for anyone but the Bills. It was maddening out there.

So it wasn't just one thing?