Possible return for the XFL?...

BillsFan130

8 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I don’t understand the minor league point. The NFL already has a minor league, it’s called the NCAA. They aren’t going away any time soon. 

I don’t understand this point. And I have heard other people say it numerous times. There are college baseball, hockey and basketball teams yet all 3 of those leagues have minor leagues. How is college football a minor league when no team has control of any of the players? The whole point of a minor league is to develop YOUR own players. If a guy was playing good in college, the Bills can’t just call him up. You would have to wait until the draft and hope to get lucky. It’s nothing like a minor league. It’s the step below...just like the one that the other leagues have, on top of the minors.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I wish they(NFL) would do a 16 team league in non NFL cities and let 2 NFL teams share a development franchise.

They could play on Tuesdays and Fridays and have an 8 game season to start off.

20 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Ya for sure. I'm Canadian and for sure know where you are coming from.

The only part that bothers me about the CFL is some of their rules. (If you miss the field goal, you get a point if the other team doesn't return it out) In saying that, the NFL has a lot of dumb rules as well

My biggest problem with the CFL is quotas.

Let the best players play who cares where they are born? the NHL sure doesn't.

Put the best product on the field possible,if you suck you suck you shouldn't see the field just because your Canadian.

BTW I am Canadian.

21 hours ago, row_33 said:

start watching the CFL, it's a step up from college, an option QB game, and nowhere near the NFL's power or talent levels

I have since a kid....I would like some of their rules....plus the NFL needs to stop call illegal formations when "the end was uncovered". Who cares? it doesn't affect the play..stop calling a penalty on EVERY punt or kick return....terrible call yesterday screwed the Bears on Cohen return....

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

I wish they(NFL) would do a 16 team league in non NFL cities and let 2 NFL teams share a development franchise.

They could play on Tuesdays and Fridays and have an 8 game season to start off.

My biggest problem with the CFL is quotas.

Let the best players play who cares where they are born? the NHL sure doesn't.

Put the best product on the field possible,if you suck you suck you shouldn't see the field just because your Canadian.

BTW I am Canadian.

Very good point. That is very true 

13 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Well. Basketball also have NCAA and they have the D league and G league and all the summer leagues. And of course there is college hockey and college baseball. Not as popular as basketball or football but point being that all these kids that come out of college can make a living playing and have a chance to prove themselves further. All the UDFAs will get much more of a shot. And teams would get the ability to develop players at a professional level.

Gotta remember. Without the Europe Football league that Fred Jackson went to which was affliate of the Bills... Fred may never have played a single down in the NFL. 

I'd like to see every football team have a minor league affiliate. Designate 20 guys off the 53 man minor league roster than can't be touched and have the undesignated guys be able to be signed to any of the NFL teams 

It simply doesn’t benefit the NFL. They aren’t going to make big money from a minor league. No one wants to watch a bunch a fringe NFL roster guys play low quality preseason like football. There wouldn’t be would development at a pro level because the quality of play wouldn’t be great. The step up from the minors to the pros would be similar to that of college to the pros. Comparing football to baseball is an apples to oranges comparison. Jackson is the exception to the rule. NFL players have short careers. They don’t have the time to hang around in the minors like baseball or hockey players. 

19 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Problem with Spring league football is most of the players are trying to make rosters being drafted, in mini-camps, etc. Maybe you get some players not drafted who cannot find UDFA deals and players cut and not signed looking to show skills one last time but I do not think there is enough players.

Yes, it would be a league of mediocre talents. It wouldn’t be a league with future stars like minor league baseball. It would simply be fringe roster guys who can fill a roster spot due to injuries. The quality of play would not be good enough to attract fans. 

Yeah, I've been reading about this the past week or so. Apparently it wouldn't be called the XFL though, rather it'd be the URFL or UFL since the WWE itself owns that name & Vince has been filing trademarks separately from the WWE, and this league would be from Vince's Alpha Entertainment venture.

Here's the link to the details - https://sports.yahoo.com/rebooted-xfl-might-direct-response-nfl-anthem-protests-203217339.html

XFL Tweets-min.jpg

Edited by BigDingus

I'd be more pumped if NFL Europe came back as a farm league. There were a bunch of good players in that league and football has been growing it's fanbase substantially in England and Germany. If McMahon set up the XFL as an international spring league he'd probably make a pretty penny. 

On 12/17/2017 at 5:44 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t understand this point. And I have heard other people say it numerous times. There are college baseball, hockey and basketball teams yet all 3 of those leagues have minor leagues. How is college football a minor league when no team has control of any of the players? The whole point of a minor league is to develop YOUR own players. If a guy was playing good in college, the Bills can’t just call him up. You would have to wait until the draft and hope to get lucky. It’s nothing like a minor league. It’s the step below...just like the one that the other leagues have, on top of the minors.

Agreed, The stupid rules force players to be 3 years removed from high school to play. The only reason they do that is to force players to get experience as indentured servants in the NCAA. What about the kids who get hurt in college or have families that are too poor to wait 3 years before they can make a dime off of their abilities? These kids should have a chance to play pro football straight out of high school and get paid for 3 years while getting experience if they want to go to the NFL in the future. 

I don't get why they keep saying the XFL is coming back... He's not going to use that name as others have outlined before. The league bombed in historic fashion, he would not use the same name if he wants any chance of success or to be taken seriously. The XFL trademarks have been renewed every year since 2005, so that's not indicative of the name.

Also, ESPN is now reporting on it too - http://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/21840316/vince-mcmahon-sells-some-wwe-shares-fund-alpha-entertainment-llc

Edited by BigDingus

This is not going to be a development league or a league that is going to work with the NFL to make their product better. McMahon is not getting into it to create something that is not going to be an attempt at competition to the NFL. I would bet he decided to do it now because, like his buddy I  the white house says, the NFL is losing viewers.

With fans upset over anthem protests and runs being made to make the players 'softer', McMahon is going to come out and provide the people that are mad or leaving exactly what they want. I would almost guarantee that the league will require all players to stand for the anthem, and they won't have rules meant to protect players, they will promote the hard hitting stuff. This will be a league that is going to take the stuff the NFL is trying to get rid of and give fans what they want. I'm sure they will also have agreements with all players that they know the risks, and can't sue from injuries suffered during games.

Not a chance that McMahon is funding a developmental league, or spring NFL league. It will be an attempt to try and compete with the NFL

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

This is not going to be a development league or a league that is going to work with the NFL to make their product better. McMahon is not getting into it to create something that is not going to be an attempt at competition to the NFL. I would bet he decided to do it now because, like his buddy I  the white house says, the NFL is losing viewers.

With fans upset over anthem protests and runs being made to make the players 'softer', McMahon is going to come out and provide the people that are mad or leaving exactly what they want. I would almost guarantee that the league will require all players to stand for the anthem, and they won't have rules meant to protect players, they will promote the hard hitting stuff. This will be a league that is going to take the stuff the NFL is trying to get rid of and give fans what they want. I'm sure they will also have agreements with all players that they know the risks, and can't sue from injuries suffered during games.

Not a chance that McMahon is funding a developmental league, or spring NFL league. It will be an attempt to try and compete with the NFL

Bring back the gladiators.

I say they give them the Soccer Goalie style helmets with the padding on it and less pads around. I've heard many reports that the weight of the gear and hardness of the outside of the helmets contributes to head injuries. Also people will be allot less likely to lower their heads like that.