Possible return for the XFL?...

BillsFan130

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I still think spring ball can work. Make it a spring league and he's got a chance.

Don't you think it's a crazy idea though, especially with all the research on CTE? Football alone has tons of problems with that, and XFL from what I remember is even more violent 

1 hour ago, JinxedBill1 said:

All good points here.  I'd also run it as a spring league, air when the NFL is not in season to give fans of football someone to watch yet not compete with the cash cow that is the NFL.

streaming services certainly change the network landscape of revenues streams.  Only problem I see here is the initial push to have fans watch.  

Problem with Spring league football is most of the players are trying to make rosters being drafted, in mini-camps, etc. Maybe you get some players not drafted who cannot find UDFA deals and players cut and not signed looking to show skills one last time but I do not think there is enough players.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I mean there is no better time to do this with NFL fans dwindling. 

I would be a fan of this if it is used as a minor league for NFL. NFL needs a minor league. Every other sport has one. 

Haha. Dwindling. Only 13.2 million people watched last Sunday night's game!!! The league is in free fall. Hopefully, they don't cancel the SB.  

the NFL is dying truthers are funny. 

5 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I mean there is no better time to do this with NFL fans dwindling. 

I would be a fan of this if it is used as a minor league for NFL. NFL needs a minor league. Every other sport has one. 

Where to start?

"dwindling"?  not quite.  And forget the ill-logic that, if the fans of real pro football are "dwindling", the rating of a circus league filled with nobodies would be a rating s bonanza.

And the NFL does fine with the NCAA as it's minor league.

5 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

It just seems pretty extreme especially with the CTE issue going on

Coupled with the fact that the XFL prides itself on hard knockout hits.. like doing away with the fair catch. 

Yes, this is what we need back in action! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A reality tv host is our president. Anything is possible in stupid America.

honestly, I would love a really good minor league pro football league in the summer.  It would be great for Qbs to develop.

Better than a community organizer.

The XFL isn't and never would be coming back as a minor league to the NFL. McMahon wouldn't sink money into it if it wasn't as a competition.

Seeing as how he is buddies with Trump, and the current belief by the friend that the NFL is in serious trouble losung ratings cause they wont stand for the anthem, its time to start some competition for those who quit the NFL. I guarantee they will install a rule requiring all players stand for the anthems (maybe while Hulk Hogan comes out playing air guitar to his music dressed in the flag) and forget the fake news and their CTE worries, the harder the hits the better, players will just shake it off and get back in the game instead of the NFLs girlie concussion protocol stuff. Real men shake off concussions while standing for the Anthem.......

The NCAA is not a minor league system for the NFL, the NFL teams cant t

Send a player down to develop or play there until they are ready. If they don't make the NFL team or PS, they are out of a job unless someone else picks them up. There's no place for them to develop and then get called up like other leagues

Edited by apuszczalowski

58 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I don’t understand the minor league point. The NFL already has a minor league, it’s called the NCAA. They aren’t going away any time soon. 

Well. Basketball also have NCAA and they have the D league and G league and all the summer leagues. And of course there is college hockey and college baseball. Not as popular as basketball or football but point being that all these kids that come out of college can make a living playing and have a chance to prove themselves further. All the UDFAs will get much more of a shot. And teams would get the ability to develop players at a professional level.

Gotta remember. Without the Europe Football league that Fred Jackson went to which was affliate of the Bills... Fred may never have played a single down in the NFL. 

I'd like to see every football team have a minor league affiliate. Designate 20 guys off the 53 man minor league roster than can't be touched and have the undesignated guys be able to be signed to any of the NFL teams 

Edited by Kmart128

I think there would be decent demand for:

1. A spring league

2. That functions at least to some degree as a minor league system for the NFL -- that is, teams with some kind of NFL player development affiliation, at least for a bunch of players on each team. Or perhaps with some draft rules that encourage college feeder regionalization. Think a team in Birmingham Alabama with draft rights over Alabama and Auburn players.

3. That, unlike the old XFL, experiments with rules to create a wider open, higher scoring, less hard hitting game (with an eye toward not injuring those NFL minor leaguers)

I agree with many, I think a spring league would be an excellent idea, when people still have football in their blood but have nothing to watch. There are a ton of players who just need a chance to showcase talents, for every Kurt Warner there must be 1,000's of others who just don't have a 2nd outlet to showcase, this would be an excellent way to do that. Like many have said, if McMahon doesn't make it into a mockery having guys named "he hate me" and what not and they take it serious but don't go up against the NFL, heck maybe they can even come up with rules that reduce blows to the head or a new helmet, should be interesting.

I would love a football league that ran in the off (NFL/NCAAF) season! A developmental league for the NFL would be ideal, but I'd be happy just to have football year round. I think two basic styles might work. Either NFL teams assign prospects (maybe practice squads)  to the teams (I'm assuming a small league of 4-8 teams would be the only way to do it, or NFL teams are required to draft players from the league, maybe there's a developmental draft separate from the normal college draft. I think it could be a lot of fun, and maybe give a shot to some people who just can't go the college route, including foreign players who need a place to convert from other sports, like rugby, but just can't make US college work. Anyways, I'd love any kind of "real" football to be year round. Arena just doesn't cut it for me, and the offseason is always the longest 6 months of my life.