TBD's Approval Rating for Sean McDermott As Bills Head Coach?

BuffaloRush

Do You Approve of Sean McDermott As Bills Head Coach?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Approve of Sean McDermott As Bills Head Coach?

• Yes, I approve
    • No, I do not approve

Not a fan so far but not saying fire him or anything like that

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Considering most of us had them between three and six wins at the beginning of the year, this team's exceeded expectations given the lack of talent on this roster (WR was a joke this year).  Wins at Atlanta and Kansas City were impressive.  McDermott has made some rookie mistakes (not kicking the field goal before halftime against the Bucs trying to get a quick pass play out of bounds which backfired, starting Peterman against a tough Chargers defense on the road).  He's built a good culture, but everything will depend on finding a franchise quarterback over the next two years.

Wins/losses are a little over rated in my books. A lot of those games the Bills won earlier in the year, they got a lot of fortunate breaks.

They could easily be 4-9 right now.

Let's say the Bills finish 8-8 this year but finish 7-9 or 6-10 next year. (which is a strong possibility) Would that mean he's regressing as a coach even though the team looks stronger, and even though he improves on  a variety of factors such as clock management?

I'm already done with the guy.

That punt last week told me all I needed to know.

That was a disgrace.

I'll never understand for the life of me how these franchises that are worth billions and that will go to the ends of the earth to try to win ........ continually fail to give themselves the best chance of winning on Sundays by having dumb coaches making dumb decisions.  I guess it boils down to the owners themselves being dumb.

If I had to hire a guy to play blackjack with my money, I'd want to make sure he was playing with the right strategy.  Double down when we have an 11 vs. Any dealer hand other than an Ace up.  Hit the 12 vs. A dealer 2 upcard.  Don't stick on your 15, when the dealer has a 7 upcard, because you had a "feeling" the dealer was going to bust.  Yet when it comes to football there are about 30 owners thast are okay with their coach playing the cards incorrectly.

It's baffling.

Btw.....McDermott is the guy at the blackjack table that doesn't double down on his 11 vs. the dealers 6 upcard......because there's a chance he could lose twice as much.  That's what his punt last week was.

Edited by Estro

2 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Anyone criticizing this guy is being unfair.  He's a rookie coach who inherited a number of aging veterans and other assorted average leftovers and he's done pretty well under the circumstances.  Unfortunately, two big blowout losses made this thread possible.

The two blowout losses made it possible? Not the horrible game time decision making, like punting on 4th and 1 on the Colts 41 when they needed to win the game?

I'm admittedly biased... Well not really, biased, I didn't come into his hiring railing against McDermott.

I just don't care for him. Almost everything about him, I dislike. He seems like a good guy, but his demeanor, his coaching history, what he did to the roster, how he comes across as arrogant most of the time in my opinion. Yet he can't own his arrogance, it's always veiled in some form of fake humility. That's just how I read him. So I'm not going to vote. I'll say the team has done better than I thought it would, but the losses, wow, they've been worse than I expected.

His general outlook on how to build a team, I'm undecided. I'm not sure what he believes in offensively, but if it's what we've seen so far, that's unacceptable. I don't like his usage of timeouts, and his use of challenges have been terrible as well. But what else would you expect from a guy coming from the Andy Reid coaching tree.

I'm leaning towards I don't like him, again, I'm admittedly biased or kind of feeling a certain way and I feel it's too early too. So I won't vote, I don't think my opinion reflects most Bills fans.

22 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

The two blowout losses made it possible? Not the horrible game time decision making, like punting on 4th and 1 on the Colts 41 when they needed to win the game?

I think both definitely contribute to it. The gutting of the roster, starting Peterman. The guy has certainly tried to press any and all buttons that could piss you off if you're not a complete homer.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm admittedly biased... Well not really, biased, I didn't come into his hiring railing against McDermott.

I just don't care for him. Almost everything about him, I dislike. He seems like a good guy, but his demeanor, his coaching history, what he did to the roster, how he comes across as arrogant most of the time in my opinion. Yet he can't own his arrogance, it's always veiled in some form of fake humility. That's just how I read him. So I'm not going to vote. I'll say the team has done better than I thought it would, but the losses, wow, they've been worse than I expected.

His general outlook on how to build a team, I'm undecided. I'm not sure what he believes in offensively, but if it's what we've seen so far, that's unacceptable. I don't like his usage of timeouts, and his use of challenges have been terrible as well. But what else would you expect from a guy coming from the Andy Reid coaching tree.

I'm leaning towards I don't like him, again, I'm admittedly biased or kind of feeling a certain way and I feel it's too early too. So I won't vote, I don't think my opinion reflects most Bills fans.

Pretty much agree with everything you said. Very good post in my opinion. (I'm sure lots of people will disagree with us)

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Not a fan so far but not saying fire him or anything like that

Wins/losses are a little over rated in my books. A lot of those games the Bills won earlier in the year, they got a lot of fortunate breaks.

They could easily be 4-9 right now.

Let's say the Bills finish 8-8 this year but finish 7-9 or 6-10 next year. (which is a strong possibility) Would that mean he's regressing as a coach even though the team looks stronger, and even though he improves on  a variety of factors such as clock management?

Too many variables to answer that question.  Unless you inherit a talented roster, a new coach usually gets three years.

4 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Half the guys on the team are guys that he helped pick and/or decided should be on this team and/or decided were good enough.

No kidding, he gets to decide who's on the team.  He's done that well, they've played good for a no name team (except a couple guys).  That's the point.  It appears he'll be even better as he continues to build the team with players he wants - as he's already proven to be correct on many of them.  

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

No kidding, he gets to decide who's on the team.  He's done that well, they've played good for a no name team (except a couple guys).  That's the point.  It appears he'll be even better as he continues to build the team with players he wants - as he's already proven to be correct on many of them.  

Isn't it equally fair though that this team is devoid of talent and that's because of him? Everyone says, look at what he did with this roster, and talks about how bad the roster is. The guy made the roster bad. I'm not in to having a guy who cuts salary, keeps promising the future, gets rid of talent, and "over achieves" into an 8-8 season. That's hell. I've seen enough of that, which is why when any coach does things that resemble that, they are on a short leash with me. Which doesn't mean anything, so all you McDermott lovers don't need to take offense to that. I can't fire him, I'm just saying I don't like the style. 

7 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Much like a presidential poll, WGR ran an "approval rating" for Sean McDermott a few days ago and surprisingly McDermott's rating was around 75%.  So I'm curious to know where McDermott fans here at TBD

Surprisingly?? Should be 98% with 2% being trolls and malcontents.

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I think both definitely contribute to it. The gutting of the roster, starting Peterman. The guy has certainly tried to press any and all buttons that could piss you off if you're not a complete homer.

I do understand this. I felt that Rex Ryan represented just about everything I stand against and I was pre-disposed not to like him as a result. 

I still like McDermott. Much more my type of person and my type of coach. I don't like every decision he has made. His insistance on Mike Tolbert as the #2 back is beyond baffling and he has made some in game mistakes (though I would still say way below league average). 

I have questions about how McDermott and Beane have gone about this season and the middling it approach but they still have some capital in this draft to alter the direction of the franchise. That is the challenge they must meet. 

I wanted McD to take Mahomes or Watson without having to trade up.

If he can draft a better QB this draft or if Peterman becomes a good starter or backup I'll believe.

The other option is if a good FA QB or trade is made. The jury is still out with me but willing to give McD and Beane at least 5 years.

The hiring of Castillo and Dennison when the players here do not fit there scheme is like Rex with his 3-4

Edited by ALF
added info

10 hours ago, Steptide said:

I like him so far. This upcoming off season will tell us alot more though. They gutted alot of the talent from this team, I wanna see how they'll re build it 

Agree with this. So far he's done decent, but I'm in the "time will tell" boat still myself.

• Like (+1) 1

Although I've voiced some displeasure with his conservative philosophy and overly cliche demeanor, it's hard to argue with the success of the team thus far, given my season's expectations. If this poll we to include the front office decisions, I would have voted no. But as a coach, he has overachieved as a rookie with limited talent 

• Like (+1) 1