Should Mc-Bean Pull a Whale-y of a Deal ??

T master

4 hours ago, Lfod said:

It's a tough call. You trade up land the pick and your a genius and everyone loves you. If you trade up for a bust then it's a stain and we forever debate what could of been.

I think this year's draft defines the GM and reguardless what he chooses it has to be right. This is his first draft here for Buffalo and a lot is riding on it including his job. I'm sure the decision is a heavy one and I don't think the GM wants to make a mistake. 

I agree this qb pick will define this team for the next 10 years. It has to be not necessarily perfect but it has to be the "right" pick. I like Darnold & Rudolph but my crystal ball is as flawed as the next guy. The good news is there's lots of quality guys to consider. And we have the ammunition to move up. I have no doubt obd has moved on from Tyrod. And I think they are committed to developing NP as a solid backup. Now the hard part, go get the savior!

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Let's not pull a Whaley type deal. If you recall, if Whaley didn't get Sammy, then the next player he wanted was Eric Ebron (not Mike Evans, not OBJ, not Brandin Cooks, not Khalil Mack)....shaking my head at that buffoon (and his sidekick Russy)

Image result for doug whaley russ brandon war room

Haha, I love this photo. It's saying so many different things. Brandon is obviously excited because he'd have something to sell the fans. Whaley looks a little stoic, like, "I hope this works." And then in the background, I love that the only guy not celebrating is Buddy Nix. He's kinda just looking on and I bet he was thinking, "That was a lot to give up but hey it's your show now." Because as we know, Nix was never in on big time draft trades.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

but why draft the fourth or fifth guy when you can have the first or second?

Plus if you like the 4th or 5th guy, he will likely be on other team's radars as well. Teams like Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and New England might be willing to jump up into the teens if they think a franchise guy is there. Especially if the price is right.

3 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Plus if you like the 4th or 5th guy, he will likely be on other team's radars as well. Teams like Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and New England might be willing to jump up into the teens if they think a franchise guy is there. Especially if the price is right.

the Bills trading down would be a CATASTROPHIC failure

Yeah, not this year. There will be plenty of opportunities to trade back in the future. In three years, when this draft class starts to reach their potential, Brady, Rothlisberger,  and Breeze could all be gone, and Rodgers, Ryan, and Flacco will be nearing the end of their careers. There is way to much to gain from moving up to grab someone who  will still be on a rookie contract at that time to not try.

11 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

the Bills trading down would be a CATASTROPHIC failure

8 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Fully expecting all 3 1st’s to be moved to get into the top-2. They’ll take whichever of Darnold/Rosen is there. 

I would not be surprised at this.

11 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Fully expecting all 3 1st’s to be moved to get into the top-2. They’ll take whichever of Darnold/Rosen is there. 

It will likely be 3 1sts if your offering this year, next year, and the year after.  2 1sts;  1 second;  and 1 3rd or 4th this year should be enough. A 2 and a 3 this year is probably worth more than a 1 next year, although it depends on how deep the trading partner thinks the draft is.

Edited by MURPHD6

6 hours ago, T master said:

As it looks right now the Bills are still in a quagmire at the QB position as we have all seen . We as fans always hope because TT is a good team mate & a team guy that he can become a real good QB & score just the points needed to get victories but doesn't or can't !!

With that being said i was wondering if the Bills fans would mind or want Mc Bean & company to pul a Whaley type deal to get say a Baker Mayfield or a Josh Rosen in this years draft & package 2 first round picks to get either or just take the best player that falls to them at what looks now to be a #18 draft pick ??

I always thought the Sammy pick was foolish when OBJ was there along with a lot of other good players that the Bills passed on (which seems to be a recurring theme) but if you have a franchise type QB which no one coming out of college is a bonafide 100% guaranteed Tom Brady QB , but some one that has that kind of potential .

There are certain kinds of players that come out & you just get the feeling that they can change the fortune of the team that drafts them & it looks as thought there may be a couple of those in this draft & the Bills need one at the QB position .

So would you pull that kind of deal or would you sit back & take your pick as it falls ? You be the Bills GM & call it as you see fit !!  

You make this kind of move for a QB

17 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

It will likely be 3 1sts if your offering this year, next year, and the year after.  2 1sts;  1 second;  and 1 3rd or 4th this year should be enough. A 2 and a 3 this year is probably worth more than a 1 next year, although it depends on how deep the trading partner thinks the draft is.

Probably, but if it’s with the Giants, who could use a QB, or the 49’ers, who will likely get other offers, you’re going to have to beat those offers. And by three picks I didn’t mean 1 for each of the next three years, I meant both 1st’s that we own this year, along with next season’s 1st rounder as well.

Maybe it’s an overpayment, but you do what you need to do to get up there. Throw in a side piece like a 2019 4th Round Pick as well, add a player like a John Miller if they want a project piece as well. Basically whatever we need to get up there and get our guy. 

I'm all for doing what you got to do to select YOUR guy. 

Say the next Aaron Rodgers was available (or the guy you think is going to be the next Aaron Rodgers), you could justify trading any number of picks to move up & select the guy. If you need to send both 1st round picks this year, and some picks next year, so be it.

Obviously you have to save some draft picks for supporting this QB and filling out the rest of the team, but hitting on a QB could turn around the fate of your franchise for years to come.

I think it depends on a whole bunch of factors.

First we need to know how the Bills rate the various QB prospects and if they truly put 1 or 2 of them way above others.

No need to move way up to get something you can get in another form lower down.  That was what we should have learned from the foolish Watkins move.

If there are a couple of guys you deem much better, are they even available?  You need a dance partner, and some high drafting teams are going to want those "super" QBs themselves!  

So it becomes a math game to see how high up you need to go to find the first available partner who is not interested in a QB, and is willing to trade down with you...and then you need to figure out if your list of "super" QBs will still be available.

My gut tells me the Bills will not end up with the super big name guys, but will do what is necessary to get one of the 4 or 5 QBs everyone is talking about.

Probably won't be Rosen or Darnold, but it will be maybe one of the guys from the state of Oklahoma.

I fully expect Darnold to return to school.  If we are able to trade our pick, KC's pick and a future pick for Rosen I do it without thinking about it.  Not willing to trade picks for any of the other QBs.  Fully plan on downing a bottle of bleach if they draft Mayfield.

10 hours ago, T master said:

As it looks right now the Bills are still in a quagmire at the QB position as we have all seen . We as fans always hope because TT is a good team mate & a team guy that he can become a real good QB & score just the points needed to get victories but doesn't or can't !!

With that being said i was wondering if the Bills fans would mind or want Mc Bean & company to pul a Whaley type deal to get say a Baker Mayfield or a Josh Rosen in this years draft & package 2 first round picks to get either or just take the best player that falls to them at what looks now to be a #18 draft pick ??

Now Grey Cup is over they should look at poaching a QB from CFL for rest of season.

Why are people saying the Bills have too many draft picks to sign all those rookies? Rookies are a lot cheaper than veterans right? Get a lot of guys on rookie deals at positions that can contribute right away and pay up for a few select proven veterans at positions that require more development.

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I fully expect Darnold to return to school.  If we are able to trade our pick, KC's pick and a future pick for Rosen I do it without thinking about it.  Not willing to trade picks for any of the other QBs.  Fully plan on downing a bottle of bleach if they draft Mayfield.

History is against doing it.  It nevet works out better for the player.  The player always regresses or gets hurt.  USC is not going to prepare him for the NFL more than being in the NFL.  USC is going to use him to win college football games like they should.  Use some gumption resfuse to sign with cleveland if they scare you away and force a trade. In life you have a finite chances and oppurtities.  Play well vs OSU and jump right back in going in the top ten.  If some think Allen is a first rder i would run to the NFL.

Sure as hell not for another WR like Dimwit Doug. For a QB, sure, provided they are willing to cut their losses and move on if he doesn't pan out. McBeane has shown no problem cutting someone else's dead weight, but I don't know if they are willing to dump their own, hope the choice is good & we don't have to find out.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsVet said:

The main reason Doug Whaley isn't working in the NFL right now is the splashy moves.  That, and his insistence that EJM was a franchise QB when it was clear he wasn't.

How did Whaley insist that EJ was a "franchise QB"?  After the first year he signed Kyle Orton who played 12 games. Then in the next off season he signed Hotrod. He made no attempt that we're aware of to re sign EJ.

I know he wanted him to be as did most of us.  But insist? Don't see it.

Edited by reddogblitz