Should Mc-Bean Pull a Whale-y of a Deal ??

T master

As it looks right now the Bills are still in a quagmire at the QB position as we have all seen . We as fans always hope because TT is a good team mate & a team guy that he can become a real good QB & score just the points needed to get victories but doesn't or can't !!

With that being said i was wondering if the Bills fans would mind or want Mc Bean & company to pul a Whaley type deal to get say a Baker Mayfield or a Josh Rosen in this years draft & package 2 first round picks to get either or just take the best player that falls to them at what looks now to be a #18 draft pick ??

I always thought the Sammy pick was foolish when OBJ was there along with a lot of other good players that the Bills passed on (which seems to be a recurring theme) but if you have a franchise type QB which no one coming out of college is a bonafide 100% guaranteed Tom Brady QB , but some one that has that kind of potential .

There are certain kinds of players that come out & you just get the feeling that they can change the fortune of the team that drafts them & it looks as thought there may be a couple of those in this draft & the Bills need one at the QB position .

So would you pull that kind of deal or would you sit back & take your pick as it falls ? You be the Bills GM & call it as you see fit !!  

It's a tough call. You trade up land the pick and your a genius and everyone loves you. If you trade up for a bust then it's a stain and we forever debate what could of been.

I think this year's draft defines the GM and reguardless what he chooses it has to be right. This is his first draft here for Buffalo and a lot is riding on it including his job. I'm sure the decision is a heavy one and I don't think the GM wants to make a mistake. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 2

I definitely expect this type of move... and it makes me a little nervous because we really don't have any way to gauge how good this new regime will be at evaluating college talent and making their own draft picks.  Since last year's draft was evaluated by Whaley.

The Bills actually have 'too many' draft picks next year to realistically sign so many rookies.  So I definitely expect some sort of wheeling and dealing.  It will definitively continue to support another exciting off-season in Buffalo.

Edited by Jobot
typo

It's a QB driven league and its been over 30 years since the Bills have drafted a QB inside the top ten. I think we have enough evidence to show that the wait for someone to fall approach has not worked, as everyone who fell that became a franchise guy was passed on by the organization anyway. Yes they will be forced to reach, but given the lack of talent at the position and the amount of teams needing QB's, there's really no other viable option outside of over paying for a vet.

The likely scenario is San Fran giving us their pick for two ones and the Rams two. I don't see how a team with a franchise guy already in place could turn down the opportunity to make 2 picks in round 1 and 2 picks in round 2 in the same draft.  Especially given the Jimmy is about to take up alot of cap space, so they will need reliable starters on rookie deals if they want to fill the rest of their holes with veteran signings.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Like (+1) 2

I think they almost 100% have to make some type of move to put themselves in position to draft one of this years top QBs. I don't want them to spend a ton of this years draft picks to get there, though, as they have a lot of other areas of need. But yeah, I don't think they can afford to fart around anymore. It's time to get it done and go after who they think can be their franchise guy.

You gotta do what you gotta do to get your man. The last 17 years proves that without a top tier QB you are going nowhere. They are going to give up some draft pics to move up if they think there is someone there that is worth it. I expect the Bills to be major players in free agency this year too.

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

giants need a left tackle....glenn and the chiefs pick for their pick. 

No one is taking an oft injured left tackle and a pick outside the top 15 for a top 5 pick. Glen is worth a 4th rounder at best, primarily because of his contract. I suggest reading up on pick evaluation; its supper rad and interesting if the draft is what your into. There are very good reasons why the moves that you are suggesting never get made, as they would cost any respectable GM their job.

Edited by MURPHD6

3 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Parcells made the same decision once, and he gifted Matt Ryan to Atlanta, then later admitted that it was the biggest mistake of his career.

well i'm saying if they keep manning and try to make one more run with him. they get their left tackle and still get a nice high pick to add another piece.

For sure I expect them to make the move up. Rather it’s San Fran or the giants I expect them to try and get into the top 3 with a package of picks this year and next with the sole purpose of getting a top tier quarterback prospect. I think they have already shown they can sign decent free agents with plug and play talent. I don’t expect them to win next year either sadly without some serious magic. But I think they’ll be set for year 3 of this regime to make some serious impact 

• Thank you (+1) 1