Bills love Sam Darnold?

HappyDays

30 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Darnold didn’t have an underwhelming season whatsoever. And USC won the PAC-12.

Sure he made some dumb throws but he had a good year. And he showed he’s an NFL talent. Guy should be going back for one more year though.

Which I think he is.

Not saying he was bad. He had a decent year. But he regressed... His freshman year was better. He was being talked about as the best prospect since Luck. He was expected to make a huge jump and be in contention for Heisman. However it didn't happen and that's why I called it underwhelming... It's underwhelming in regards to what was being expected of him as potentially the best QB prospect since Luck

40 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Darnold didn’t have an underwhelming season whatsoever. And USC won the PAC-12.

Sure he made some dumb throws but he had a good year. And he showed he’s an NFL talent. Guy should be going back for one more year though.

Which I think he is.

Why should he go back assuming he's the #1 pick? That doesn't make sense to me. He'll learn more about football in the NFL, where he'll focus on it year round, than in the Pac-12. 

12 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I am a relatively casual observer of NFL prospects in college.  My observation is that among those who take prospect watching far more seriously, there is absolutely no consensus about who the top QB is, or who will be the top pick in the draft.  For example: I just looked at a random list of most of the mock drafts published on the internet over the past 6 days.  Of the 14 mocks, Sam Darnold is the top overall pick in three of them.  Josh Rosen is the top pick in 8 of them.  Lamar Jackson is named in two of them and Saquon Barkley in one.  I don't know that any of these mock drafts have been produced by former NFL GMs or any kind of certified experts.  I am pretty sure that you are not an expert either.  You are welcome to your opinion.  Just please remember that's all it is, just like mine.

That's true, but I put some stock in this: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000877512/article/ask-5-whos-better-nfl-prospect-sam-darnold-or-josh-rosen.

Bear in mind that I'm a UCLA alum and think Rosen is excellent. I just think that Darnold is the better prospect for a host of reasons. They're both good, however.

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Why should he go back assuming he's the #1 pick? That doesn't make sense to me. He'll learn more about football in the NFL, where he'll focus on it year round, than in the Pac-12. 

That's true, but I put some stock in this: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000877512/article/ask-5-whos-better-nfl-prospect-sam-darnold-or-josh-rosen.

Bear in mind that I'm a UCLA alum and think Rosen is excellent. I just think that Darnold is the better prospect for a host of reasons. They're both good, however.

It makes plenty of sense. He could still improve on his game without the added pressures of the NFL. He could attempt a shot at a championship. He’s only started 22 games. He could use more experience and still go #1 next year while going to USC and enjoy being a kid.

I bet he stays. I do see your point though. He could just take the money and come out. I hope not.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

We have something in common DaveM. Also a Bruin alum and lifelong season ticket holder I have some reservations on Rosen. His durability and passion for the game? Darnold has the famous "it" factor. Rosen just doesn't. I think the Browns will mistakenly take Rosen, opening the door for us to trade up. Yes it will be expensive but in the long run worth it.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He has been a little inconsistent, but let's not make too much of this. He has had an objectively good season (26 TDs to 12 INTs and 8.7 ypa; his completion pct was higher than Rosen's too) against big-time competition (relatively speaking), and he played extremely well against a good Stanford team in the championship game. Indeed, he has a penchant for playing well in big games (UCLA, Stanford, Penn State). SC lost at Wazzoo 30-27, but that is a really tough place to play. SC stunk vs ND, but every great player has a bad game now and then.   

I hear ya, but we are also talking about a trade up that in recent examples have cost teams a bounty, even Chi gave up a ton to go up one spot from 3 to 2 last year.  I keep seeing people packaging both our firsts, but honestly, to get up to #2 this year I don't know if that is going to be enough and could cost even more picks.  

So now you have to weigh the costs more closely with the risks.  And his season hasn't been strong enough to just blindly say trade what ever we can to get him when there are other good QB prospects that may cost quite less like Baker and Mason for example.  And don't get me wrong, I would still love to get Darnold, but his cost makes me nervous after the underwhelming season this year compared to expectations.

I still think Baker Mayfield is going to be a Buffalo Bill next year.  Although wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the trigger to get Darnold, especially if they love him considering we got so many draft assets.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I hadn't seen that article from Jeremiah.  Very interesting.  It's not set in stone, but NFL executive opinions carry more weight than the Mel Kipers and Todd McShays of the world.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

That was the meme about Michigan QBs from the 1960s through the 1990s. And the meme about John Teaford-coached QBs for about a decade or so. Then Brady and Rodgers came along. Never judge the school; always judge the player instead. 

Their best defensive player (arguably) -- Michael Bennett -- wasn't even drafted.

Yeah I missed that one...add 2 more pro bowls to the list...22 pro bowls combined for players not drafted in the first round...including 3 from UDFA's...that is beyond phenomenal drafting.

In regards to Darnold, We dont even know if he will declare...he might stay in school another year

Edited by matter2003

You won't find a team that doesn't love Darnold.  Unfortunately I don't see him coming out this year.

People acting like Darnold regressed or had a bad year just didn't watch college football.

The kid is a once in a lifetime talent, he will go 1st overall.

It took him a couple games to get into a grove, but after that, you can clearly see his talent.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Dick Hammer ? Pretty cool, Damn  if that's not the most masculine sounding name possible. I feel like I need to go hunt a few Elk or something... 

I approve of this manly name

-Chest Rockwell. Boogie Nights

Darnold's ceiling is elite and probably more so than any other QB prospect in the 2018 draft. He's been a little inconsistent this year but he's raw even for a college player. Thing is he consistently flashes jaw dropping ability in all of the required skills for playing the all important position at the next level. If he declares for the draft he will probably need two years as the #1 guy before he starts to take charge of games, especially if he goes to a rebuilding team like the Bills. In a best case scenario he'll be like Troy Aikman that way. In a worst case he will never achieve the consistency needed to be a great QB. 

Rosen is a great fit for a team planning on running a WCO. 

I'd be delirious if the Bills got either of these guys. Don't see it happening tho. 

20 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

His face is too small to be a franchise QB.  He looks like something cobbled together from the afterbirth of Jimmy Clausen.

This is spot on. 

Rosen, on the other hand, has more of a prototypical qb body. Big hands, broad shoulders, big meaty face. It'd be hard to pass that up some some scrunch-faced little prick.

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I hear ya, but we are also talking about a trade up that in recent examples have cost teams a bounty, even Chi gave up a ton to go up one spot from 3 to 2 last year.  I keep seeing people packaging both our firsts, but honestly, to get up to #2 this year I don't know if that is going to be enough and could cost even more picks.  

So now you have to weigh the costs more closely with the risks.  And his season hasn't been strong enough to just blindly say trade what ever we can to get him when there are other good QB prospects that may cost quite less like Baker and Mason for example.  And don't get me wrong, I would still love to get Darnold, but his cost makes me nervous after the underwhelming season this year compared to expectations.

I still think Baker Mayfield is going to be a Buffalo Bill next year.  Although wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the trigger to get Darnold, especially if they love him considering we got so many draft assets.  

Mayfield would be a mistake. You just can't bank on a short QB.

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

While I hear what you are saying, guys like Russel Wilson and Drew Bree's say otherwise which are 2 of the top 4 best QB's in the NFL right now both with SB Rings too.  I don't think Baker being less than ideal height would scare too many teams off.

6 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

2 years ago the Bills loves Wentz. You can love them all you want, but if you never ask them out they end up with someone else. 

Bills need to go get their QB. 

They didnt have 2 first round picks that year.  Boths 1 and next years first gives them almost any position in the draft.  They need to get a Qb.  Draft seems to have better prospects then most.  Do what you got to do to get one.  Gms out smart themselves all the time by thinking they are jimmy johnson building the cowboys.

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While I hear what you are saying, guys like Russel Wilson and Drew Bree's say otherwise which are 2 of the top 4 best QB's in the NFL right now both with SB Rings too.  I don't think Baker being less than ideal height would scare too many teams off.

For every Brady, Brees and Wilson there are 5 Trent edwards and Matt Barkleys.

8 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

They didnt have 2 first round picks that year.  Boths 1 and next years first gives them almost any position in the draft.  They need to get a Qb.  Draft seems to have better prospects then most.  Do what you got to do to get one.  Gms out smart themselves all the time by thinking they are jimmy johnson building the cowboys.

Manziel

33 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

But OU has some big dudes on their line, and he still remains a pocket QB first & foremost. Unlike Tyrod who is 6'1 according to the official NFL profile page but looks 5'8 behind his line, Mayfield actually looks like he belongs with the group and has good field vision.

Who knows though... I could be completely wrong, but I like what I see from Mayfield. If he kills it in their playoff game, then wins a National Championship (I doubt it, but still), I'd find it hard to look past him for anyone.

I think smaller qbs can succeed in the NFL.  Not sure in the northeast.  If you want a guy who makes things happen on broken plays and outside of the pocket than you go jackson.  He is mike vick but right handed and 6-2 220.

7 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

2 years ago the Bills loves Wentz. You can love them all you want, but if you never ask them out they end up with someone else. 

Bills need to go get their QB. 

The Bills best pick-up line is "hey, at least we aren't Cleveland!"

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Do you really believe that?  If true, then heck yeah, get Darnold.  You say having 2 firsts plus next year's #1 gets us almost any pick.  Do you believe that would get us the first pick in the draft?