• Announcements

• SDS

Problems logging in?   11/05/2017

I know a few people are getting logged out too quickly. I don't have the answer to that yet.   However, one change that occurred is that there is no longer a log in name and a separate display name. The upgrade discarded the log in name and now uses the display name. So, to log in:   Username: <display name> Password: <your password>   If you need to contact me to find out what your display name is use: Contact Us  and we can get things sorted out.
matter2003

So what happens if the Bills draft their franchise QB and...

He is the real deal but two years later the team is in the same position as the Sabres are with their franchise player...namely the cellar. 

What then? Its a thought nobody really talks about...all you hear is how they need this type of player...and I wholeheartedly agree.

What we don't stop and talk about is what happens if he is as good as advertised but the team still sucks?  What do we do then?

Simple - You cry in your beer...

On the other hand, failure is not to be feared, it's never trying that is the real sin...

I must be becoming a philosopher in my old age...

Seriously just go out there and draft the best QB you can find and let's go from there...

You trade you everything for aaron rodgers for 4 first plus a player, and go to the playoffs atleast once...

Edited by GoBills!

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

He is the real deal but two years later the team is in the same position as the Sabres are with their franchise player...namely the cellar. 

What then? Its a thought nobody really talks about...all you hear is how they need this type of player...and I wholeheartedly agree.

What we don't stop and talk about is what happens if he is as good as advertised but the team still sucks?  What do we do then?

It will probably be because there is no team around him, because everyone wanted a QB so bad they forget you need 29 other positions on a team.

• Like 1

IF you can find a genuine very good starting QB in the draft, then you have a 5 year window to build around him ia the draft before he gets paid big and you have to skimp on other positions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It will probably be because there is no team around him, because everyone wanted a QB so bad they forget you need 29 other positions on a team.

By everyone, you mean McD and Beane, right?

• Haha 1

This is a much more like scenario than that the Bills draft a franchise QB and everything is rainbows and unicorns all the way to the Lombardy Trophy, especially if McDermott and Beane are still around.

What happens if they take a later round QB and keep Tyrod as the starter while getting better players in other positions  and they still end up with no playoffs at 7-9? Do you really think this staff will be here in 2019 then? IMO not a chance, fans are done waiting on the bridge QB that never has a exit, Peterman is not the exit and the Tyrod bridge is full of holes.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

By everyone, you mean McD and Beane, right?

I guess you are basing this snark on all the trades they made. Get back to me in late April and let me know if having all those picks still sucks?

QB has a 15 year shelf life. If they have been smart and responsible they have also stocked the O-line.

These are the things that take so much time. Finding a QB and then developing and maintaining a cohesive line.

Greatly simplified but on the whole true as I see it, everybody else you can draft and start soon,  or buy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I fear we'd be the Colts 

Thats exactly who we’d be - and we’d likely do the same thing they did: Fire the incompetent front office that can’t draft talent and hire one that can. 

With the amount of draft picks we have next year, it's not a terrible idea to draft 2. However, I do think Peterman will end up being good at some point 

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

QB has a 15 year shelf life. If they have been smart and responsible they have also stocked the O-line.

These are the things that take so much time. Finding a QB and then developing and maintaining a cohesive line.

Greatly simplified but on the whole true as I see it, everybody else you can draft and start soon,  or buy. 

Completely agree

• Like 1

get the QB first. bolster the line in the same draft. next draft bolster the Dline and LB

sprinkle some fa pick ups in there.

it's going to be two full off seasons and possibly the third before they have this roster ready to contend. but it would seem important to get your QB and build his line in the first off season?

• Like 1

Top 16 draft picks QBs since 2000 (top 16 so I can have the joy of including EJ)

Vick - hit (gets a big asterisk for those missing prison years)

David Carr - bust

Joey Harrington - bust

Palmer - hit

Leftwich - bust

Eli - hit

Rivers - hit

Ben - hit 

Alex Smith - hit (but it took a while)

Vince Young - mixed (not what you hoped for, but was productive for a while)

Leinert - bust

Jay Cutler - hit (I know, but over a decade as a starter)

JaMarcus - bust of epic proportions

Ryan - hit

Stafford - hit

Sanchez - mixed (see Young, Vince)

Bradford - hit

Newton - hit

Locker - mixed (a close call, a good bust argument to be made)

Gabbert - bust (unless we see a big late resurgence here)

Ponder - bust

RG3 - mixed (no one who's that good even for that short a time gets labeled a bust in my book)

Tannehill - hit (see Cutler, Jay ... if healthy, he's on his way to a long and mediocre career; I guess I could add a separate "true franchise QB" to differentiate this type of guy)

EJ - bust

Bortles - mixed (see Locker, Jake)

Winston - mixed/incomplete/trending down

Mariota - mixed/incomplete/trending up

Goff - mixed/incomplete/trending up

Wentz - hit

Trubisky - incomplete

Mahomes - incomplete

Watson - hit (but see Griffin, Robert III)

So out of 31 first half of the first round picks in this millennium, we've got:

14 hits

8 busts

4 mixed results

5 incompletes

The chances of getting your man and having him turn out not to be the man (as in The Franchise)? Probably about 50% ... and a bit higher if you're drafting in the teens.  On the other hand, chances of getting at least a solid QB who'll be pretty good for at least a few years and maybe longer?  Probably closer to 2 out of 3.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

get the QB first. bolster the line in the same draft. next draft bolster the Dline and LB

sprinkle some fa pick ups in there.

it's going to be two full off seasons and possibly the third before they have this roster ready to contend. but it would seem important to get your QB and build his line in the first off season?

Yeah youd think so because the QB is gonna need time to develop...no point having a team ready to win with a rookie QB...most times that doesnt turn out well..