McD already a hypocrite by not committing to Tyrod at KC

Jobot

FACT: McDermott's reason to start Peterman, (so he said) was to try and figure out if he could give the Bills a better chance to win and make the playoffs

Okay... following Peterman's debut.... there is no arguing that the team is better off today starting Tyrod over Peterman.

So even if you believe that Peterman 'knew where the ball should go' and made some 'darn good plays'... you cannot bury your head in the sand and ignore that the O-line will ever allow this approach to succeed.  Until the O-line problems are fixed, only then can you justify Peterman back under center IF YOU ARE SAYING WE WANT TO WIN TODAY....  So Tyrod MUST be the starter if you're trying to tell everyone that you play the guys that give the team their best chance to win.

It's really disappointing to see this from someone who had appeared to be a great Leader earlier in the season.  Regardless of Wins and Losses, the Bills appeared to have found a true leader that could get the best out of his team.  Unless he has been having some 'behind the scenes' brutally honest discussions with the players, this locker room is going to crumble very soon... as no one is going to want to go follow this guy.

Because you don't agree with him does not make him a hypocrite.  He took a risk, it failed and he owned it.  I'm quite sure that Peterman will not see the field again this year unless there is an injury to TT or in mop up duty.   

1 minute ago, xsoldier54 said:

Because you don't agree with him does not make him a hypocrite.  He took a risk, it failed and he owned it.  I'm quite sure that Peterman will not see the field again this year unless there is an injury to TT or in mop up duty.   

Why hasn't he announced that yet? Seriously, needs to evaluate it? 

26 minutes ago, Jobot said:

FACT: McDermott's reason to start Peterman, (so he said) was to try and figure out if he could give the Bills a better chance to win and make the playoffs

Okay... following Peterman's debut.... there is no arguing that the team is better off today starting Tyrod over Peterman.

So even if you believe that Peterman 'knew where the ball should go' and made some 'darn good plays'... you cannot bury your head in the sand and ignore that the O-line will ever allow this approach to succeed.  Until the O-line problems are fixed, only then can you justify Peterman back under center IF YOU ARE SAYING WE WANT TO WIN TODAY....  So Tyrod MUST be the starter if you're trying to tell everyone that you play the guys that give the team their best chance to win.

It's really disappointing to see this from someone who had appeared to be a great Leader earlier in the season.  Regardless of Wins and Losses, the Bills appeared to have found a true leader that could get the best out of his team.  Unless he has been having some 'behind the scenes' brutally honest discussions with the players, this locker room is going to crumble very soon... as no one is going to want to go follow this guy.

McD  didn’t mean for one game ... he wants to see if Peterman can be better long-term ... it’s really a simple concept ... I don’t know why so many people are having such a hard time with it ...Everyone needs to realize that Taylor is gone after this season and playing him now does nothing for anyone.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

McD  didn’t mean for one game ... he wants to see if Peterman can be better long-term ... it’s really a simple concept ... I don’t know why so many people are having such a hard time with it ...Everyone needs to realize that Taylor is gone after this season and playing him now does nothing for anyone.

because McD stated they are looking to win games now. yet, as you just mentioned, he's making moves indicating long term decisions.....like benching your winning qb for 5th round rookie.

that in itself makes him a hypocrite.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the actions of McBean have been pretty consistent.  No move they've made outside of trading for Benjamin has said they plan on making the playoffs this year and the Benjamin move could have been them just buying low in their minds.  Fan expectations shifted when the team got to 5-2, but I don't see how that dramatically shifted the actions of the braintrust.

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think the actions of McBean have been pretty consistent.  No move they've made outside of trading for Benjamin has said they plan on making the playoffs this year and the Benjamin move could have been them just buying low in their minds.  Fan expectations shifted when the team got to 5-2, but I don't see how that dramatically shifted the actions of the braintrust.

i'm going off what the coach said upon his arrival, and during interviews. he's stated multiple times that he is here to win games, and win games now. 

12 minutes ago, 87168 said:

because McD stated they are looking to win games now. yet, as you just mentioned, he's making moves indicating long term decisions.....like benching your winning qb for 5th round rookie.

that in itself makes him a hypocrite.

Maybe the three straight poundings on defense have shifted this season away from "win now", to more of an evaluation of the players they want to keep for next season. That includes looking at what they have in Peterman against teams like the Chiefs and the Patriots.

The 5-2 season was clearly a fluke. This team needs a lot of players and the HC and GM are just starting out. I think fan expectations need to change back to what they were at the beginning of the season.

• Like (+1) 2

After the Chargers game, I thought the same thing - McDermott HAD to go back to Tyrod for the remainder of the season.

Now, I think he is screwed either way.

If he goes back to Tyrod, he looks weak and undetermined. Also, we don't learn any more about Peterman or his future (I don't believe that can be determined on one game.) Best outcome for this option is that Tyrod comes out and plays more aggressive and starts lighting it up, but given past indicators this is doubtful. 

If Peterman starts again, I think he could lose the locker room. But this is the only way McDermott can regain his credibility. If Peterman starts this week and starts throwing interceptions, the season would be over. But the best outcome for this option is if Peterman somehow turns it around and plays really well....once again highly doubtful given past indicators.

Unfortunately, (for us fans desperate for the playoffs) this decision will not be based on getting to the playoffs this year. I think McDermott has left himself with only one viable option for his long term future and credibility - starting Peterman.

33 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

He hasn't owned it.  That is the problem with McDermott.  He's a fraud if Peterman starts the locker room is lost and top level fa's will not want to come here if they here tgis is a rebuilding program for 2020.

We won't make the playoffs with this D - too many holes as of now and for exactly that reason is why we won't see the playoffs even with Taylor. McD needs to ride out his decision and not flip flop like for example Hue Jackson. It sucks but it's what this team needs. The last thing we need is to stumble  to 8-8 purgatory tbh 

2 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

Maybe the three straight poundings on defense have shifted this season away from "win now", to more of an evaluation of the players they want to keep for next season. That includes looking at what they have in Peterman against teams like the Chiefs and the Patriots.

The 5-2 season was clearly a fluke. This team needs a lot of players and the HC and GM are just starting out. I think fan expectations need to change back to what they were at the beginning of the season.

that doesn't make sense. those losses didn't eliminate them from playoff contention. with that said, you're kind of implying that the coach threw away the season in order to evaluate a rookie. that again, contradicts what he's been telling the fan base since he got here.

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

He hasn't owned it.  That is the problem with McDermott.  He's a fraud if Peterman starts the locker room is lost and top level fa's will not want to come here if they here tgis is a rebuilding program for 2020.

fa will come if paid.  i think most realize that this team is in need of a new qb, and there's going to be a lot of young talent on this team next year.  it's going to take time.  concerning the not owning it nonsense, that's fan stuff.

2 minutes ago, AdamK said:

After the Chargers game, I thought the same thing - McDermott HAD to go back to Tyrod for the remainder of the season.

Now, I think he is screwed either way.

If he goes back to Tyrod, he looks weak and undetermined. Also, we don't learn any more about Peterman or his future (I don't believe that can be determined on one game.) Best outcome for this option is that Tyrod comes out and plays more aggressive and starts lighting it up, but given past indicators this is doubtful. 

If Peterman starts again, I think he could lose the locker room. But this is the only way McDermott can regain his credibility. If Peterman starts this week and starts throwing interceptions, the season would be over. But the best outcome for this option is if Peterman somehow turns it around and plays really well....once again highly doubtful given past indicators.

Unfortunately, (for us fans desperate for the playoffs) this decision will not be based on getting to the playoffs this year. I think McDermott has left himself with only one viable option for his long term future and credibility - starting Peterman.

Agreed 100% .. Tyrod won't be successful enough for us to make the playoffs with this Wanny-like garbage at D

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Tyrod sucks, checkdown Charlie.

If he is bad as you think, the Bills could not be 20-18 when he plays. I remember when Watkins played and was healthy, completed bombs down field. I think the Bills were top five in that in 2015.

This board is insufferable sometimes.

In the eyes of the OP, if one changes their mind they can be termed a "hypocrite".  Things change, the 2017 Buffalo Bills outlook changed dramatically last Sunday.  Another lose to an AFC team, we were firmly knocked out of the playoff picture and no longer control our own destiny.

3 minutes ago, Strethor said:

We won't make the playoffs with this D - too many holes as of now and for exactly that reason is why we won't see the playoffs even with Taylor. McD needs to ride out his decision and not flip flop like for example Hue Jackson. It sucks but it's what this team needs. The last thing we need is to stumble  to 8-8 purgatory tbh 

8-8 could get the sixth seed this year. But we won't even make that. 7-9.

7 minutes ago, 87168 said:

that doesn't make sense. those losses didn't eliminate them from playoff contention. with that said, you're kind of implying that the coach threw away the season in order to evaluate a rookie. that again, contradicts what he's been telling the fan base since he got here.

Maybe he thought that the defense was going down and not going to come back, and that putting in Peterman was his attempt to save the season. Because he was an unknown as far as what he could do. Could he come in and start putting up points on the board using the passing game? So this would have been an attempt to save the season, because with the defense he had, Taylor was a known quantity of not being good enough to outscore teams.

The big picture for the people in charge of getting this franchise back on top is being focused on the future of this team, not necessarily this season.

Edited by 1billsfan

Just now, ddaryl said:

I'm more interested in seeing more of Nate and if he can rebound... 

and I don't beleive TT gives us a better chance.  Opposing teams know exactly how to beat him now 

according the chargers, and the film they watched of him during the pre-season, pressure is key. the chargers figured that out with a few minutes of pre-season film, and a few minutes from the saints game. granted they have the best pass rush in the league, but as they stated, they figured him out just like teams have with TT. the difference is TT can extend plays under pressure, or knows to take at least dump it off or take a sack, rather than throw an errant ball, leading to an int.

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Are you insane?  Because he has said repeatedly that the decision was on him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 87168 said:

according the chargers, and the film they watched of him during the pre-season, pressure is key. the chargers figured that out with a few minutes of pre-season film, and a few minutes from the saints game. granted they have the best pass rush in the league, but as they stated, they figured him out just like teams have with TT. the difference is TT can extend plays under pressure, or knows to take at least dump it off or take a sack, rather than throw an errant ball, leading to an int.

The game plan would have been different had Taylor started - on what Bosa and Ingram do play to play.  We are largely screwed on both sides of the ball unless everything pans out ideally in what our defense and run game brings to the game.   

7 minutes ago, 87168 said:

But I no longer care about TT and the Bills playoff chances. That shipped sailed for me.. All I care about is seeing what we have and hoping this rebuild is different from the the last 10

Mcd is a phony in my books. I love how after the Saints game he says  TT is the starter and then he goes to Peterman. Just jerking his players around.

If he wasn't sure who to start, all you got to say is a cliche answer. "We will evaluate every position including quarterback". Really not that difficult

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

But I no longer care about TT and the Bills playoff chances. That shipped sailed for me.. All I care about is seeing what we have and hoping this rebuild is different from the the last 10

i'm with you.  even if the bills managed to sneak into playoffs, then what?  i'd love to break that streak, but they certainly wouldn't be competitive.  on top of that, i think it's more than likely tyrod will be gone next year and there will be a new qb in town.  there was going to be a shake up next year, playoffs or not.  

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

I agree, but IMO someone needs to be held accountable for such a horrid evaluation of the team's performance and player talent.   This staff was ready to crown the rebuild complete when they traded for Benjamin which was super premature...

Here's an idea... before trading Dareus, don't play him during the 'obvious' run situations and see how well the rest of your roster performs.  Then you understand what impact will come from his departure.  I just hope this regime is learning through all of this.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And he said it didn't work out the way they wanted.  You're being completely ridiculous at this point.

Well of course it didn't work out the way he wanted lol. It couldn't have gotten much worse at that.

He did make the wrong decision and he hasn't really owned it. What was his quote. "I don't regret the decision, I regret the result?". Basically saying he still thinks it was the right move starting Peterman and not admitting it was wrong.