What's your reaction if Peterman is terrible this Sunday

Steptide

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Chargers ( and everyone else that follows) were not going to send their usual rush at Taylor. They were going to tell their DEs to stay disciplined and wide keeping Taylor IN the pocket rather than flushing him out. Teams know outside the pocket is where Taylor can hurt them with his feet and it's the only place he does much damage as a passer. Taylor has been solved by NFL coaches, Payton and Bowles laid the blueprint. That's why the change was made. McDermott knew what he was going to get, especially from last years OC. Lynn knows exactly what Tyrods weaknesses are and how to expose them. Taylor is done as an NFL QB until he can/ will make throws from the pocket. It's just become too easy to defend. His only shot is to go with a pocket passer and hope he can beat the blitz a few times. McD knows Taylor won't and can't read a defense and throw with timing, which is what he'd be forced to do. Sean Payton's comments after the Bills game along with many players say all there is to say about Tyrod as a QB. 

As I said elsewhere, he played objectively well in the three games prior to the NO game. His line and his receivers utterly failed him in the Jets game.  Teams have figured him out, but they've also figured out most qbs in the league not named Brady/Rogers/Brees.  Most qbs have a couple of real stinkers every season. 

8 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Running/ mobile Qbs are more prone to sacks than traditional drop back passers.  If the ball comes out on time at 3 steps there is nothing a pass rush can do.  

Exactly , McDermott decided his rookie pocket passer " under siege " was a better option than a contained Taylor bracketed by DEs staying wide. One guy will at least throw the football to the open guy. The other will take the 2 yard checkdown on 3rd and 12 down by three touchdowns. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

As I said elsewhere, he played objectively well in the three games prior to the NO game. His line and his receivers utterly failed him in the Jets game.  Teams have figured him out, but they've also figured out most qbs in the league not named Brady/Rogers/Brees.  Most qbs have a couple of real stinkers every season. 

Those teams rushed their ends into the backfield enabling him to break contain. That won't happen anymore, even if teams have elite ends. They will tell them to be disciplined and " stay home". McDermott knew the jig was up. His hand was forced by what he knew the DCs had figured out. Most NFL QBs are not as severely limited passing the football as Taylor is. You are expecting that teams will play Tyrod as a pocket passer and have the DEs knife into the backfield. They won't do that anymore . It's what happened to RG3 as well. Steve Young has explained that in the past and related to himself, how he had to reinevent his game from the pocket or perish. That's where Tyrod is right now and it's not changing by Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Exactly , McDermott decided his rookie pocket passer " under siege " was a better option than a contained Taylor bracketed by DEs staying wide. One guy will at least throw the football to the open guy. The other will take the 2 yard checkdown on 3rd and 12 down by three touchdowns. 

Tell that to Alex Smith (sacked 5 times), Eli Manning (sacked 5 times), and Tom Brady (sacked 3 times). 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Those teams rushed their ends into the backfield enabling him to break contain. That won't happen anymore, even if teams have elite ends. They will tell them to be disciplined and " stay home". McDermott knew the jig was up. His hand was forced by what he knew the DCs had figured out. Most NFL QBs are not as severely limited passing the football as Taylor is. You are expecting that teams will play Tyrod as a pocket passer and have the DEs knife into the backfield. They won't do that anymore . It's what happened to RG3 as well. Steve Young has explained that in the past and related to himself, how he had to reinevent his game from the pocket or perish. That's where Tyrod is right now and it's not changing by Sunday. 

People have known this strategy since literally EARLY 2015. There are stories about it too. It's easier said than done, and it can be counterschemed. 

I think Sunday will be tough.  So if he shows a few decent throws and awareness I will be OK with it.  Really won't be fair to judge him until he has a couple home games under his belt as well.  The road games will be difficult unless the Bills can start rushing the ball again.  If Peterman is stuck in obvious passing situations all day he's gonna get beat up.

If Peterman is terrible this weekend I think it proves that this team was the biggest mirage we've seen during the drought, more so than 2008 and 2011.

I also think it's a very bad omen heading into year two of this new regime because unlike with 2008/2011, the coaches of those teams were in their 3rd and 2nd season's with the team and pretty much lame ducks as Jaraun was fired midseason the following year and Gailey after the next year. I really believe that McD doesn't recover from his first year if we lose our or only win another game or two and also why the move was made now to Peterman whether it's truly desperation or not.

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Tell that to Alex Smith (sacked 5 times), Eli Manning (sacked 5 times), and Tom Brady (sacked 3 times). 

People have known this strategy since literally EARLY 2015. There are stories about it too. It's easier said than done, and it can be counterschemed. 

Why it hasn't been done every time, vs Taylor who knows?  Manning Brady and Smith are all far better passers than Tyrod. He can't do anything from within the pocket. AlsoThe Bills were running a completely different offense in 2015 and 16. which is a big factor. It can't be overstated, this staff from the jump has been " run my offense or we'll get someone who can". Perhaps this counter-scheme doesn't exist in the currrent offense. Also , does any coach know Taylors weakness and how to counter scheme them etc better than Lynn? He called plays designed to minimize Taylors many flaws. It's really a matchup that McDermott couldn't win. Tyrod would have a better chance of beating KC at arrowhead than he did against the Chargers. If he didn't feel that way, this change would not have been made. That's the bottom line here. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

I suppose it really depends on how "terrible" is defined and how it looks. So, for me if he is throwing into double coverage b/c no one is open, then that's a Rookie mistake. If he's widely inaccurate and missing open receivers causing turnovers - be it INTs or on downs - that's a learning / development issue that I'm not sure can be fixed at this point in his life. If he's throwing up contested balls and the Defender is outplaying the receiver causing 2 or 3 INTs, then to me it is mostly on the receivers to snatch that ball and keep it and I'd give him credit for getting his guy the opportunity. 

If he's not recognizing blitzes or taking what the Defense gives him, that's something IMHO he can learn. 

So, if he's terrible with what to me would be QB 101 - accuracy, knowing the Offense enough to know where the ball should go on pre-read capability, if he's overthrowing or under-throwing receivers b/c of arm strength, if he lacks touch, etc....then I'd be concerned about his future ability in the NFL. If his "terrible" is a result of Rookie-itis, then I'm fine with it b/c it would be unfair to demand or expect he doesn't have learning and development to go through.

I actually think there is a pretty decent chance he has a good game, and a very small chance he doesn't. For starters I keep hearing from many on this site how great San Diego is on defense. Yes they have Bosa and Ingram on the edges, but they are also last against the run with 4.6/carry and upwards of 135-140 yds/game I can't quite remember exactly. Their overall pass defense is middling and the overall defense is below average. I think even though he is a rookie and inexperienced the Chargers could end up frustrated if Dennison plays it smart....I think he will. Quick short passes and the running game could be a successful ticket. My biggest worry was falling behind with our defense, but another myth on this board is how great the Chargers Offense is....you look it up this is not an impressive team. They have some names but are not getting great production. Go NP!

• Like (+1) 1

I suspect he won't be terrible, maybe mediocre.  I really won't make any judgment until I see him play a few games.  Even if he sucks and we get killed, I won't really care since that is what happened in the previous two weeks under Tyrod.  Then we'll know we need to draft a new QB and that we're looking at a complete rebuild.  Which is what I expected when the new GM and coach were hired anyway. 

I would like to add that I'll feel a little depressed if Nate s**ts the bed. Every Bills fan should be saying their prayers that Peterman shows that he has the talent to grow into a franchise QB, because it would benefit the Bills greatly in next seasons draft. We love talking about our stockpile of draft picks and what it could mean in bringing talent to Buffalo, with many saying that we will package a bunch of picks together to move up and grab (hopefully) a future franchise QB. I hate that scenario. I'd rather keep as many of our picks as possible to draft talent at OL, DL, LB and infuse our team with talent sooner than later. A successful Peterman means more talented overall team next year. 

2 minutes ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

I would like to add that I'll feel a little depressed if Nate s**ts the bed. Every Bills fan should be saying their prayers that Peterman shows that he has the talent to grow into a franchise QB, because it would benefit the Bills greatly in next seasons draft. We love talking about our stockpile of draft picks and what it could mean in bringing talent to Buffalo, with many saying that we will package a bunch of picks together to move up and grab (hopefully) a future franchise QB. I hate that scenario. I'd rather keep as many of our picks as possible to draft talent at OL, DL, LB and infuse our team with talent sooner than later. A successful Peterman means more talented overall team next year. 

While one game wouldn't be an indication either way, I wouldn't get my hopes up overall. The list of successful starting 5th round NFL QBs is not a long one. The surest way continues to be a first round draft pick. 

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

For me, I need more than one game, but it'd no doubt be disappointing. 

...remember reading an article about Kaep during pre-season 2014.....I think he had 32 games under his belt.......and the conventional wisdom of an NFL Executive quoted  was the "norm" for a true evaluation window was 50 games FWIW...................