What's your reaction if Peterman is terrible this Sunday

Steptide

35 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Losing tomorrow pretty much puts us out of the playoffs anyhow.  Switching to the rookie should be staying with the rookie even if he is bad.  Otherwise we are Hue Jackson and the Browns and I hate what he did with their QBs.

While that is very possible it depends on what Miami, Baltimore, Oakland do in their games.    

Color me blind but the 5-4 Bills should be able to defeat the 3-6 Chargers. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

While that is very possible it depends on what Miami, Baltimore, Oakland do in their games.    

Color me blind but the 5-4 Bills should be able to defeat the 3-6 Chargers. 

SHOULD being the key word. Chargers are better than their record, but I agree the bills should win. Though after the last few weeks and just being a fan of the bills for so long, I don't trust them to do anything 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's a randomly made up assessment that suits an agenda........ like saying John Elway was shown incapable of winning a SB after he lost a couple.   

With a system gradually built around his strengths Tyrod ran the 7th highest scoring offense in the NFL in 2016 with the fewest turnovers in modern NFL history thru 15 games.

AND lead the NFL in big plays offensively in each of his two seasons.

Tyrod is a system QB but aside from a handful most are.........and system QB's can win consistently and go to SB's.   Joe Flacco and Colin Kaepernick were both system QB's and faced each other in a SB.  

Can they keep you in playoff contention for a dozen years like Aaron Rodgers?  No but just because you don't have a franchise QB doesn't mean you have to break it down like the Bills have done with Taylor.

Fishing for franchise QB's can be very painful as well........ask Detroit who have had the super gifted stat piler Matt Stafford for almost a decade now and he is SOMEHOW still a work in progress as a leader/winner(5-4 record this year) and has a losing record for his career. 

The reason Taylor hasn't made a playoff appearance is bad defense.

The defense opposite his teams has been bad for 3 seasons.........they had moments on D.....but in general by the end of this season they will have yet again finished in the bottom quarter of the entire NFL in defensive DVOA...perhaps closer to 30th this year...... and THAT is what you can't do every year and expect to be successful on a consistent basis.

I agree our defense is lousy and needs to be fixed...Drew Brees is an excellent example of how a poor D can derail the most potent of offenses.

That being said imo you are correct on one of two accounts regarding my opinion...On the one hand I disagree that my conclusion is a “randomly made up assessment” because, when you ask most people about Tyrod, “inconsistency” is the answer you will often hear...so I don’t feel I am off base with that...In fact, I would actually be shocked if you DIDN’T think Tyrod was inconsistent.

Where I do feel you are correct is with me having an agenda...I absolutely do...my agenda is to see the Bills acquire the most competent QB possible...and I just so happen to think the Bills can do better than Tyrod.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bakin said:

No - in Buffalo we give them 12-16 games before we throw them under the bus. 

how many games had taylor started?

12?

16?

or 38?

no, he wasn't thrown under the bus, he was benched for good reason. some either have blinders on or they just can not accept reality?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so you don't foresee 67 "Peterman Sucks" threads populated with 31,295 posts?.....perhaps you forgot where you are bud............

If we do it shows the idiocracy from our fanbase if they expect Manning in his first game. Peterman deserves at least the rest of the year before even making a educated guess what he will or can become. I'm not even sure that is a large enough sample size to be honest. Hell, even Manning had a rough 1st year throwing 28ints to 26tds his rookie year.

Just show me accuracy and progression week to week NP.

Edited by Real McCoy

3 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

If we do it shows the idiocracy from our fanbase if they expect Manning in his first game. Peterman deserves at least the rest of the year before even making a educated guess what he will or can become. I'm not even sure that is a large enough sample size to be honest. Hell, even Manning had a rough 1st year throwing 28ints to 26tds his rookie year.

Just show me accuracy and progression week to week NP.

....LOL....can you imagine if Manning started his career in Buffalo with the SAME 3-13 record?......he would have had 15,328 offers of free transportation to the Greyhound station from MB "pundits"...probably more...........

• Like (+1) 1

I think the ceiling on Peterman is something like career backup. It will take the rest of the season to see if he could be that player. A team needs a good backup that can run the actual offense , the draft is still likely to be where the future starter is found. We mostly knew going in that Taylor wasn't going to become a pocket passer, which is what the coaches want. 

My reaction will be it's a shame he didn't start the entire season.  That way we could have traded Tyrod, the Bengals almost got a 2nd for a McCarron so don't tell me we couldn't have received decent compensation for Tyrod, and we could have improved our draft slot.

1 minute ago, Rico said:

Mistakes are more than understandable, and I will be happy if he at least looks the part. If he puts on an EJ or JP-type clown show performance though, I will not be pleased.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here, but I feel Peterman’s ceiling is Alex Smith...I think he has the skill set and is smart enough to be that good

Just now, JaCrispy said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here, but I feel Peterman’s ceiling is Alex Smith...I think he has the skill set and is smart enough to be that good

...thanks for the painul memories 'Crispy.......you do know that during the short window when Alex Smith was a UFA, the OBD brain trusts, yes the legendary group of QB assessment and development, passed on interviewing him because they deemed Alex as "a lateral move from Fitzpatrick".....

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thanks for the painul memories 'Crispy.......you do know that during the short window when Alex Smith was a UFA, the OBD brain trusts, yes the legendary group of QB assessment and development, passed on interviewing him because they deemed Alex as "a lateral move from Fitzpatrick".....

I know I know...sorry AFL lol

Edited by JaCrispy

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Taylor has had 40ish games, and 4 years before that to pre pare. Taylor has had his fair chance in Buffalo 

So true. TT has had more than a fair opportunity and sample size to prove he's a  franchise QB.  And it's crystal clear he's not. He'll be an amazing backup for someone. Just not for us.

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's a randomly made up assessment that suits an agenda........ like saying John Elway was shown incapable of winning a SB after he lost a couple.   

With a system gradually built around his strengths Tyrod ran the 7th highest scoring offense in the NFL in 2016 with the fewest turnovers in modern NFL history thru 15 games.

AND lead the NFL in big plays offensively in each of his two seasons.

Tyrod is a system QB but aside from a handful most are.........and system QB's can win consistently and go to SB's.   Joe Flacco and Colin Kaepernick were both system QB's and faced each other in a SB.  

Can they keep you in playoff contention for a dozen years like Aaron Rodgers?  No but just because you don't have a franchise QB doesn't mean you have to break it down like the Bills have done with Taylor.

Fishing for franchise QB's can be very painful as well........ask Detroit who have had the super gifted stat piler Matt Stafford for almost a decade now and he is SOMEHOW still a work in progress as a leader/winner(5-4 record this year) and has a losing record for his career. 

The reason Taylor hasn't made a playoff appearance is bad defense.

The defense opposite his teams has been bad for 3 seasons.........they had moments on D.....but in general by the end of this season they will have yet again finished in the bottom quarter of the entire NFL in defensive DVOA...perhaps closer to 30th this year...... and THAT is what you can't do every year and expect to be successful on a consistent basis.

There is absolutely no way I could disagree with anything in this post.   I've never been completely sold on Tyrod.  I often find myself wishing he'd throw the damn ball rather than hold it and scramble around.  But, when you see other teams struggling with bad QB (Denver), you realize the Bills could be a lot worse off.  Add in the fact, as you say, that in 2016 with an offense more suited to Tyrod's strengths, he ran a rather productive offense. 

But... now we get Peterman.   Good or bad,who knows yet.   One thing I hope everyone is ready for are the rookie mistakes he's going to make.  The ill-timed interceptions he's going to throw.   I think a lot of people are going to have their faith tested!  

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

There seems to be some discrepancy between your recollection and the facts, OldTime. Alex Smith was traded, he wasn't an UFA. The Bills attempted to trade for Smith when the 49ers were changing over to CK. They offered the 9ers 3 draft picks ( at that point the only team to do so) for Alex, in turn forcing the Chiefs to match the offer. The Bills actually made a pretty strong move in attempt to land Smith in a trade after they released Fitzpatrick .