Vic Carucci's Interesting Take On Why Tyrod Was Benched

BuffaloRush

http://buffalonews.com/section/sports/bills/podcast/

I'd encourage everyone to listen to the Bills Blitz podcast.  Even though I don't like the BN Sports business model, the coverage is top notch as is this podcast from Vic Carucci and Jay Skurski.  I have always respected Vic and he's an extremely reliable source.  Keep in mind he brought up rumblings about Rex and Whaley getting fired nearly a year in advance.

Vic's take on Tyrod getting benched for Peterman is that it was more of a big picture move.  Not necessarily a few years down the road, but next year in particular.  His take is the Bills realized that 8-9 wins will get them in the playoffs and there was a very good chance that they get there with Tyrod as QB.  If they get to the playoffs with Tyrod that makes it harder for them to move on from the QB who led them to the first playoff appearance in 17 years.  So at point in the year the team realized they didn't want to be stuck with Tyrod for the 2017-2018 season.  Considering the fact of how poorly Tyrod has played in losses and the fact that they don't want him next year, they made the move to start Peterman.

It's an interesting thought.  Skurski argues that the coaching believes Peterman will run the offense better than Tyrod.  It's an interesting listen for sure.

So what are your thoughts on this?   Does Vic' idea seem plausible?  

• Like (+1) 1

I personally think if we kept playing Tyrod, we wouldnt win another game. He had been completely figured out. Stop the run, stop the Bills. This move IMO is to give us a chance to win again and save this season. That’s my take. Peterman might give us a better shot at winning more games down the stretch. The book hasn’t been written on Nate yet.

• Like (+1) 4

Hey Chargers, Chiefs, Patriots, Colts and Dolphins -- if you keep #5 in the pocket and make him throw the football you probably win the game ...not that hard.  Surprised it took this long to figure it out.  This team was not a playoff team with Taylor and it's likely not one with Peterman...but it was worth a shot.  Vic's conspiracy theories are good fodder for water cooler talk -- but every team left on our schedule is capable of keeping Tyrod in the pocket except for maybe the Colts.

• Like (+1) 1

Disagree with Vic. Peterman is playing because he gives the Bills the best chance to win the game. I drove 6 1/2 hours each way to go to the Saints game Sunday. Tyrod was brutal and hurt the defense by not being able to keep the offense on the field. It was awful!! 56 yards in 3 quarters!! I like Tyrod he’s a average QB that’s a class act in my opinion. I truly think that McDermott and staff really believe Peterman can make a difference. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Disagree with Vic. Peterman is playing because he gives the Bills the best chance to win the game. I drove 6 1/2 hours each way to go to the Saints game Sunday. Tyrod was brutal and hurt the defense by not being able to keep the offense on the field. It was awful!! 56 yards in 3 quarters!! I like Tyrod he’s a average QB that’s a class act in my opinion. I truly think that McDermott and staff really believe Peterman can make a difference. 

Oh Jesus, man............a 6 1/2 hour drive to watch that filth against the Saints.

I know this doesn't help much, but i am so sorry that this team did that to you, man. In fact, the FO at OBD owes every one of its fans an honest apology for what we've all witnessed the past 2 weeks.

16 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Oh Jesus, man............a 6 1/2 hour drive to watch that filth against the Saints.

I know this doesn't help much, but i am so sorry that this team did that to you, man. In fact, the FO at OBD owes every one of its fans an honest apology for what we've all witnessed the past 2 weeks.

I think their public apology is letting Peterman start.

31 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

I don't think that there was any worry in their minds that Tyrod would lead them to the playoffs. It's probably the last thing they should worry about after the last two games.

To be fair, Tyrod only played terrible in the last game.  The Jets game, Tyrod was the only one who showed up to play, so not really fair to pin that on him.  

But as far as Vics take, I think its more than a theory, I think its very much a factor.  The Bills own a lot of picks next year, if they already know TT isnt the guy for them long term, nothing would make more sense right now than to switch to Peterman and give him enough time to see how heavy they need to go on a QB next year.  If Peterman comes in and finishes the year strong, it lessens the need to make a costly move to get a QB.  Sure they would still take one, but now they can sit back and take one where they feel comfortable and retain the draft capital to fix the other many holes on the team.  

If Peterman flops, so does our record which that alone would reduce the cost to acquire a QB as we may be able to get one with our first pick or make a less costly trade up to get their guy by not having to trade up as high.  

So really, its a win win for the draft next year regardless if NP excels or falls flat on his face.  Not to mention, we are still the 6th seed in the playoffs right now, if NP can spark this offense we may just break the playoff drought too.  If not, they have nothing to lose as he's a 5th round pick and easy to move onto a high profile draft pick next year.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This FO just dumped a bunch of young players who didn’t fit their process. Regardless of whether TT takes this team to the playoffs or not, if he’s not their guy then I don’t think they blink an eye when they cut him loose.

I think they were unsure if he could be their guy until the Saints game, when Tyrod himself helped them slam that door closed with conviction. Vic’s delusional. 

Peterman is starting because he presents the best opportunity to win some games and get to the playoffs. Your worst game of your career should not come nearly 3 seasons into starting. Tyrod has regressed every year. They brought in Dennison who Tyrod is very familiar with and installed a system that he knows well to give him an opportunity to take that next step and it didn't happen. Plain and simple.

If you actually watch him play, with your own two eyes, you'll see that he just isn't ever going to be good enough. In fact I am shocked that a fan base, who has been exposed to absolutely awful QB play for nearly 20 years now, can't identify a dud when they see it. I think in preseason they identified who the better QB was. But McDermott's mind told him it was "just preseason." Now more than half way through the season, he has seen first hand that his gut feeling was right all along. Play the kid, see what he's got.

And to all of you that hate the move, let's put it this way. If we're going to lose, let's make it productive. We have a plethora of draft picks and a lot of holes. What if Peterman is good or great? We have an absolute great chance of fixing much of what is wrong with this team. If Peterman is bad, then we go into full on rebuild mode. We trade a bunch of capital to draft a QB high in the first. Unfortunately, this is the reality of this franchise right now, and I thought people would've recognized it during the absolute purge of players in the offseason and beyond.

I guess it's just easy to pile on the team and Taylor here?

Vic's take seems pretty damn obvious and logical.  Taylor played just atrociously on Sunday and with a couple other showings similar to that this year combined with no really great showings, McBeane had seen enough to know Taylor wasn't the future at the position and they wanted to see a guy who just might be the future.  He's just too inconsistent and doesn't play at a high enough level on his best days to warrant anymore time wasted seeing if he could be our future.

With the Bills schedule to close the season, they could have made the playoffs with Taylor at the helm.  But we likely wouldn't have made any noise in the playoffs and then Taylor would have been the 1st QB since Flutie to lead the team to the playoffs.

Completely logical take by Vic.  It's probably true to some extent.  Shooting for the stars and the future with Peterman or plummet to a higher draft choice with him as we realize he's likely not the future and, at the very least, needs some serious competition in the form of a 1st or 2nd round draft choice.

It's a good move for the Bills future, even if it might hurt the team this year.  It might really help the team this year, though, and I think that's what we're all really hoping for  :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be fair, Tyrod only played terrible in the last game.  The Jets game, Tyrod was the only one who showed up to play, so not really fair to pin that on him.  

But as far as Vics take, I think its more than a theory, I think its very much a factor.  The Bills own a lot of picks next year, if they already know TT isnt the guy for them long term, nothing would make more sense right now than to switch to Peterman and give him enough time to see how heavy they need to go on a QB next year.  If Peterman comes in and finishes the year strong, it lessens the need to make a costly move to get a QB.  Sure they would still take one, but now they can sit back and take one where they feel comfortable and retain the draft capital to fix the other many holes on the team.  

If Peterman flops, so does our record which that alone would reduce the cost to acquire a QB as we may be able to get one with our first pick or make a less costly trade up to get their guy by not having to trade up as high.  

So really, its a win win for the draft next year regardless if NP excels or falls flat on his face.  Not to mention, we are still the 6th seed in the playoffs right now, if NP can spark this offense we may just break the playoff drought too.  If not, they have nothing to lose as he's a 5th round pick and easy to move onto a high profile draft pick next year.

Getting half your stats for a game in the last 6 minutes of a game that the other team has given up on doesn't count. If it does that means "garbage time" for Peterman was just as meaningful.

Sorry but Tyrod has been crap all year. 1st in 3 and outs. 30th in passing offense. That's on Tyrod.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Vic's take on Tyrod getting benched for Peterman is that it was more of a big picture move.  Not necessarily a few years down the road, but next year in particular. 

His take is the Bills realized that 8-9 wins will get them in the playoffs and there was a very good chance that they get there with Tyrod as QB.  If they get to the playoffs with Tyrod that makes it harder for them to move on from the QB who led them to the first playoff appearance in 17 years. 

Sounds like Carucci read my post from earlier today...

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/198520-theory-starting-peterman-more-about-the-defense-than-anything/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-4676294

"Then, how do you get rid of the guy who was QB for the team that finally broke the drought?"

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is the weirdest analysis I’ve seen on this forum. If he was a year off, his rumblings were just wrong.

That's because you are reading the sentence without any context.  Vic broke an exclusive story that Terry issued an ultimatum that if the Bills didn't the playoff, both Rex and Whaley could be fired.  Of course at the time all of the fan base and some of the media dismissed the rumors (including Sal Cappaccio and Chris Trappaso).  They said Vic was crazy and was reporting speculation Many were certain that there was no way Rex and Whaley would get fired with multiple years on their contract.  Pegula himself denied it.   Less than a year later, both were gone.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000617938/article/report-bills-owner-gives-ultimatum-to-ryan-whaley

Edited by BuffaloRush