Peterman Arm Strength

Shaw66

Peterman has a lot going for him.  I think his number 1 attribute may be his intelligence and decision making.   The Wonderlic test presumably measures quick and accurate thinking.   Peterman had a 32 on the Wonderlic, not lights out, but among the best of the QBs coming out of the last draft, and pretty good overall.   Taylor had an apparently had a 15, and the biggest complaint about Taylor is decision making and a slow trigger.   We'll see about that.

The biggest complaint about Peterman, and something certainly worth worrying about, is arm strength.   I didn't know it, but at the combine they use a radar gun to determine the release velocity of thrown footballs.   Peterman was 49 mph, among the worst at the combine.   The best is in the high 50s, and just about all the name guys coming out of the draft are at or above 55.   So Peterman is 10-15% below where the best prospects are.   Over the years, very few guys are clocked below 50.    In fact, the only familiar name at the bottom of the velocity test is - Tyrod Taylor, clocked at 50.  

Now,  Taylor's interesting to me, because arm strength has not been a problem since he came to the Bills.   Did he improve his delivery and increase his delivery velocity in his four seasons at Baltimore?   I don't know, but if he did, that means that Peterman's major weakness could be addressed.   Brady also had a pretty poor deep ball early in his career, and he's improved that a lot.  Maybe there's hope. 

You can see all the numbers here.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Peterman has a lot going for him.  I think his number 1 attribute may be his intelligence and decision making.   The Wonderlic test presumably measures quick and accurate thinking.   Peterman had a 32 on the Wonderlic, not lights out, but among the best of the QBs coming out of the last draft, and pretty good overall.   Taylor had an apparently had a 15, and the biggest complaint about Taylor is decision making and a slow trigger.   We'll see about that.

The biggest complaint about Peterman, and something certainly worth worrying about, is arm strength.   I didn't know it, but at the combine they use a radar gun to determine the release velocity of thrown footballs.   Peterman was 49 mph, among the worst at the combine.   The best is in the high 50s, and just about all the name guys coming out of the draft are at or above 55.   So Peterman is 10-15% below where the best prospects are.   Over the years, very few guys are clocked below 50.    In fact, the only familiar name at the bottom of the velocity test is - Tyrod Taylor, clocked at 50.  

Now,  Taylor's interesting to me, because arm strength has not been a problem since he came to the Bills.   Did he improve his delivery and increase his delivery velocity in his four seasons at Baltimore?   I don't know, but if he did, that means that Peterman's major weakness could be addressed.   Brady also had a pretty poor deep ball early in his career, and he's improved that a lot.  Maybe there's hope. 

Yes shaw, TT has improved his arm strength and velocity over the years to where it is above average 

Tom Brady went from having a noodle arm to having a big time gun where he can sling it over 60MPH...

you can improve it and it does happen...

While Petermans arm was average to slightly below average for NFL standards he can and most likely already has gotten it stronger since last January 

The test will be if he can build up his arm strength while not getting shoulder fatigue 

AND

there is a key difference between arm strength and arm velocity 

arm strength is the ability to make that 65 yard throw in the air

arm velocity is all about threading the needle at 8-20 yards in contested windows 

Edited by Buffalo716

This is just my opinion, but to me arm strength is the absolute dumbest argument to be made against a qb. 

For one, even the strongest qbs in the NFL over throw or under throw recievers at times. Does t matter who the qb is, they've done it. 

Two, unless a qb is trying to throw it 75 yards, this argument is void. Fitzpatrick was known to have a weak arm, but could still throw it 50 yards if necessary (I seem to remember Stevie Johnson making a crucial drop on a 50 yard bomb) 

Lastly, I don't know if I ever seen a qb in the NFL that couldn't throw the ball 20 yards or less. Which is the average pass by a qb. Not every throw made by a qb is a deep shot, home run throw. 

Just my opinion, but the whole arm strength argument is so over blown

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, Steptide said:

This is just my opinion, but to me arm strength is the absolute dumbest argument to be made against a qb. 

For one, even the strongest qbs in the NFL over throw or under throw recievers at times. Does t matter who the qb is, they've done it. 

Two, unless a qb is trying to throw it 75 yards, this argument is void. Fitzpatrick was known to have a weak arm, but could still throw it 50 yards if necessary (I seem to remember Stevie Johnson making a crucial drop on a 50 yard bomb) 

Lastly, I don't know if I ever seen a qb in the NFL that couldn't throw the ball 20 yards or less. Which is the average pass by a qb. Not every throw made by a qb is a deep shot, home run throw. 

I think it's more about how quickly balls get to their destination that the actual distance.  Less time in the air, less time for defenders to react...

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Deshaun Watson's ball velocity was 45. 

And we all know how much he sucked!

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Arm strength is more about how fast you can gun a ball into a tight window.  Not so much distance.  Almost every QB can hit a 40 yard lob in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Can't remember exactly, but TT may have had a shoulder injury at the combine.  I think he threw anyway since he was a longshot guy.  

Either way - arm strength is not an issue of his.  He can make all the throws, its more an unwillingness to throw many of them.

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure the combine gun adequately registers strength so much as delivery speed -- which is about mechanics and technique.  Of course mechanics and technique can be improved with coaching and practice, so there's reason to ignore this as a negative about Peterman.

9 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Windows are tight in the NFL. The longer it takes to get there, or heavier the wind up, the more time for the defense has to react. 1/4 second can mean a lot. 

That said. I noticed Peterman has a big awkward wind up on Sunday. Could be wrong 

Meh....  He throws a nice ball.   It was obvious at camp, when you see him throw in person you can tell.   Also the velocity thing is the qb throwing as hard as they can, which isn't game time reality.

Drew Brees style thrower.  Lets hope he has the talent to get close to that level......

The key to being a good NFL guy is pocket awareness and throw anticipation.   Arm strength never seemed to mean much in terms of wins and losses in the NFL.

Found this video interesting. It was made not long before he was drafted. A throwback to high school days. I didn't realize that NP was a four star recruit coming out. Mike Farrell, a Rivals recruiter who was scouting Peterman mentions 3 or 4 times that he has a cannon arm and a gunslinger mentality. 

Peterman was 53.

Mahomes was 60.

Kizer was 56

Watson 49

Greg Gabriel has a good article attached to the numbers. Detailing Brees, Manning and Brady's less than average arm strength while he watched their college tapes and live practices. "Brees arm strength coming out was below average at best"

I trashed on Watson and Peterman for their arm strength. I think Watson floated more balls in college...hopefully the later can start out with as much success as the former.

I'm not sure if this is as big of a deal as some make it out to be.  I'd think pattern timing/anticipation is a bigger deal, which is Peterman's strength.  He might want to avoid the Brett Favre type risk passes.  What was Peyton Manning's velocity his last two seasons in Denver?  From what I remember, most of his passes were quick, shorter attempts and rarely threw long.  His intelligence overcame his declining physical abilities.