Re-Sign Jordan Matthews?

Dkollidas

You could sign any free agent off the street, they would likely give you similar production to Matthews. This fact makes Matthews expendable. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I keep hearing “he’s a good player” but I am not sure. He fell to 4th on the Eagles depth chart and I’m not sure he’s better than that here. Is he good or was he relatively productive in an extremely friendly scheme in Philly? He doesn’t excel at anything.

Deonte Thompson had a bigger game than any Matthews has had this season. That tells me everything I need to know. 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I keep hearing “he’s a good player” but I am not sure. He fell to 4th on the Eagles depth chart and I’m not sure he’s better than that here. Is he good or was he relatively productive in an extremely friendly scheme in Philly? He doesn’t excel at anything.

I would put him at Robert Woods level

I still think that players that can get behind the defense are missed in this offense....Tyrod's deep ball is gone

13 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I still think that players that can get behind the defense are missed in this offense....Tyrod's deep ball is gone

No surprise Deonte Thompson is putting up the best numbers of our WRs. Tyrod is a deep ball thrower. I actually think Benjamin, Zay, and Thompson is a good top 3. Draft a speed guy in the 3rd or 4th next year. 

12 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I don’t think the comparison to Woods is too far off, but I do think there are some key  differences betweeen the two. I’d prefer Woods to Matthews. Woods seems to have more playmaking ability than Matthews. I never get the feeling that Matthews is going to break a big play.  Woods has always had big play potential, along with the occasional game where he’d put up big numbers. Matthews doesn’t have the ability to change a game,  Woods was occasionally able to do so. Matthews could put up huge numbers as a slot receiver in a high powered offense. Aside from that scenario, he offers very little. 

Before the Kelvin Benjamin trade I thought he'd be resigned and now I think we'll let him sign elsewhere for reasons others have stated, Zay Jones is in the same mold as Matthews and will be alot cheaper for now anyways. Beane traded picks for Benjamin who's still in his prime so he obviously thought Benjamin could be the difference maker.

I think it's too early to tell.  We are now heading into the tough stretch of the schedule.

I fully expect McBean & staff are doing their evaluations now - and if they want someone, they are going to burn up the cap space we have this year to extend players they want.  But if we're laying more eggs, I do not expect to see a whole lot of extensions...

This season has seemed to me like a waiting to get to this point.  With all the injuries and still acclimating to the offense, now it's time for some of these players to show off

I withhold judgement on the roster moves now.  I think we'll see extensions by the end of the year for players they want now and into the future.  Why else would they clear some cap space by jettisoning Dareus?  If the team/offense is performing - I would expect to see TT/Matthews/Benjamin extended/reworked.  I also expect we'll see movement with other positions.  I don't know about Shady's deal at all - so don't know if his contract would also be looked at.

People still think $6-$8 Mil is a big amount against the cap?  Plus with the way contracts can be structured and re-structured... Yes, keep him if he falls into that price range.  I feel he is a little better than Woods, but the injuries(on top of being a late acquisition) really cost him valuable timing in building chemistry/timing with Tyrod.  

If he isn't re-signed, not the end of the world, but at some point we should have a decent WR group here in Buffalo.  

Edited by ThunderGun

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He has?  He has missed a bunch of games due to injury and committed a terrible fumble in one of his rare appearances.

I obviously meant while on the field and I am pretty sure the injury contributed to the fumble.  We will have a half season of football at least to see how he pans out.  He runs good routes and catches the ball and I suspect that Benjamin will take off some pressure on the other receivers.

He certainly sounds like he wants to be here and be a part of this team and culture. He also comes across as exactly the type of player they want on the roster. He's a team guy, he's here to do his part and he's a good teammate. And I don't think he'll have a real high price tag. Plus he's just turned 25 over the summer, KB is 26 and Jones is 22. That's a solid group with two guys in prime years for athletes and another guy who would benefit greatly from having those two guys to work with.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

KB is only "locked up" if the Bills choose to pay him $8mil next year.  I don't think that decision is made yet........I am guessing that B and MCD , however, won't pass on their "Carolina connection" guy.  (unfortunately just like Rex had a thing about former Jets on the team..any of those guys still around?)

The panthers picked up his option.  There is no decision to be made

5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

No way at all. As others have submitted. He isn't worth it

at what price? Is not worth which IT ? :P

he aint shown me much.

But he might fit. Financially and structurally.

I expect Bills need to scour for upgrades at WR this draft and FA.

Caveat for me is, the sternum injury was said to be a season long thing and all about pain management.
Thats does not mean he is not limited physically still.

Trust the Bills on this one.

I think he should be vying for a 3-4 WR unless he his ceiling is rising.

I bet he will be evaluating the Market if a Bills offer sheet comes in