Playoffs? Playoffs?? The Playoff Chances Thread

This Weekend if the Bills lose ( probable) and the Ravens and Chargers lose the bills would need to win against the dolphins in week 17 in Miami and they are in. The simplest scenario. Ravens loss not likely against the lowly Colts and Chargers likely to beat Jets too  but we are Colts and Jets fans this weekend anyway. I'm just happy that we get to at least play around with these scenarios for the first time in what seems like forever ago.

The Floppy One

23 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I keep seeing so many members of the media (national and local), as well as fans on social media, blaming Peterman for that Chargers game and putting this playoff drought on his shoulders (if the Bills do miss by a game). 

Did they not watch how the rest of the team played for that LAC game?!? They must just be looking at the box score or something... 

The entire team sucked, from offense to defense to special teams. The O line played one of the worst games I have ever seen them play. Pretty much everyone just stunk it up that game. 

I just hate hate seeing it all put on Peterman like that. It's not fair. 

That video is pretty funny though at the end. "Could Buffalo beat NE in NE?" responses: "No." "No." And "No." "They've never given us any reason to think that they could do that."

All 3 of them were quick to answer that one. There wasn't even the cliche "Any given Sunday!" line dropped by anyone like usual. 

Edited by BigDingus

18 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

This Weekend if the Bills lose ( probable) and the Ravens and Chargers lose the bills would need to win against the dolphins in week 17 in Miami and they are in. The simplest scenario. Ravens loss not likely against the lowly Colts and Chargers likely to beat Jets too  but we are Colts and Jets fans this weekend anyway. I'm just happy that we get to at least play around with these scenarios for the first time in what seems like forever ago.

The Floppy One

Ravens schedule is easy but you never know. I would think the Bengals week 17 give Baltimore a tougher out, but maybe the Colts wanna play hard for Pagano? 

1 hour ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

I'm starting to think one of the more likely scenarios is KC and TEN each losing their last two, and us going 1-1 at worst. That puts SD in the 4 seed, Baltimore in the 5 and us in the 6.

There are a lot of equally likely scenarios that get us in, but I fear the most likely is the one where only us and the Chargers finish 9-7. Just gotta be patient and see how week 16 plays out. Remaining hopeful. Petty and the Jets gave the Saints a fight it's not impossible to think the Jets can't steal another W.

5 hours ago, Big C said:

There are a lot of equally likely scenarios that get us in, but I fear the most likely is the one where only us and the Chargers finish 9-7. Just gotta be patient and see how week 16 plays out. Remaining hopeful. Petty and the Jets gave the Saints a fight it's not impossible to think the Jets can't steal another W.

I agree with you here. It really seems to me that the most likely scenario is Titans 8-8, Ravens 10-6, Bills and Chargers 9-7 and the Peterman debacle is the deciding factor.

If the Titans could pull off a win against the Rams this week I would feel a little better about their chances. But that's a huge longshot

Edited by JM57

Beat the Pats and the Phins and dont look back.   

If they cant beat a good team them who cares about playoffs.

The win in Atlanta with with a ton of starters out and beating KC when they were on a slide dont mean a lot.  The last time the D played good enough so if the same happens and the O shows some life its possible!!! 

30 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

The win in Atlanta with with a ton of starters out and beating KC when they were on a slide dont mean a lot.  The last time the D played good enough so if the same happens and the O shows some life its possible!!! 

Saying beat a good team or you shouldn't play in the playoffs and then saying a win over a good likely playoff team doesn't mean anything within two sentences. If it weren't for a certain world leader who has a penchant for talking himself in circles, this would be a new record for an about face! ?

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, BigDingus said:

That video is pretty funny though at the end. "Could Buffalo beat NE in NE?" responses: "No." "No." And "No." "They've never given us any reason to think that they could do that."

All 3 of them were quick to answer that one. There wasn't even the cliche "Any given Sunday!" line dropped by anyone like usual. 

Good. I saw how hyped the Bills were against the Falcons. They thrive on being the underdog. No one thinks they will even compete Sunday. I hope this is under their skin right now. 

1 hour ago, artmalibu said:

If they can't beat the best team in the NFL, on the road, then who cares about the playoffs? :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JM57 said:

Saying beat a good team or you shouldn't play in the playoffs and then saying a win over a good likely playoff team doesn't mean anything within two sentences. If it weren't for a certain world leader who has a penchant for talking himself in circles, this would be a new record for an about face! ?

I guess my point of the "good" teams the Bills beat come with a story, injury or otherwise.  

Not one good win over a good team all year.  So, if the Bills loose to the Pats I guess I feel they really dont belong in the playoffs.  

More understandable for you my political friend... 

8 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

I guess my point of the "good" teams the Bills beat come with a story, injury or otherwise.  

Not one good win over a good team all year.  So, if the Bills loose to the Pats I guess I feel they really dont belong in the playoffs.  

More understandable for you my political friend... 

You can't help the health or availability of the players when you face a team. Does the Bengals win over the Bills mean less because Matthews was out and Clay got hurt early? Does the Chargers loss mean less because Benjamin didn't make it through a drive?

1 hour ago, JM57 said:

You can't help the health or availability of the players when you face a team. Does the Bengals win over the Bills mean less because Matthews was out and Clay got hurt early? Does the Chargers loss mean less because Benjamin didn't make it through a drive?

Clay, Mathews and Benjamin collectively dont have the production that Juilo Jones has so its nowhere near the same.  

The Chargers beat the Bills up on every phase of the game.  

I too am a hopeless Bills fan but at some point who gives a poop if they make the playoffs and cant beat a playoff team.  

That said I do think they have a chance this week, unlike most who have already conceded the game.  If TT plays a good game and the Defense repeats what they did to the Pats the first time they will win. 

8 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Clay, Mathews and Benjamin collectively dont have the production that Juilo Jones has so its nowhere near the same.  

The Chargers beat the Bills up on every phase of the game.  

I too am a hopeless Bills fan but at some point who gives a poop if they make the playoffs and cant beat a playoff team.  

That said I do think they have a chance this week, unlike most who have already conceded the game.  If TT plays a good game and the Defense repeats what they did to the Pats the first time they will win. 

Welp so long as we are writing off wins. The Patriots have only beaten the Saints, Falcons and cheated the Steelers or the Texans (can't have both). Otherwise they lost to the Chiefs, Panthers, Dolphins. And beat several "undeserved" teams such as the 4-10 Bucs, 5-9 Jets, 7-7 Chargers, 5-9 Broncos, 6-8 Raiders, 6-8 Dolphins.

TLDR: The Patriots only really beat two good teams all year.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1

NFL playoff scenarios: What's at stake in Week 16

Bills could drop with a win

Yup, you read that right. Buffalo could upset the Patriots and still fall from their current spot as the AFC's No. 6 seed if the Ravens win at home Saturday night against the Colts. The Ravens and Bills would both have 9-6 records, but the Ravens would have the advantage based on the common-games tiebreaker (minimum four games) that wouldn't kick in until this week. That tiebreaker quirk is a big part of why FPI gives the Bills a 28 percent chance to make the playoffs, while the Ravens are at 92 percent. Another reason: the Ravens finish with home games against the Colts and Bengals, while the Bills play at the Patriots and then at Miami in Week 17.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

NFL playoff scenarios: What's at stake in Week 16

Bills could drop with a win

Yup, you read that right. Buffalo could upset the Patriots and still fall from their current spot as the AFC's No. 6 seed if the Ravens win at home Saturday night against the Colts. The Ravens and Bills would both have 9-6 records, but the Ravens would have the advantage based on the common-games tiebreaker (minimum four games) that wouldn't kick in until this week. That tiebreaker quirk is a big part of why FPI gives the Bills a 28 percent chance to make the playoffs, while the Ravens are at 92 percent. Another reason: the Ravens finish with home games against the Colts and Bengals, while the Bills play at the Patriots and then at Miami in Week 17.

Not true. The Titans would be the odd man out even if the Titans won against the Rams.

Edited by What a Tuel

14 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Welp so long as we are writing off wins. The Patriots have only beaten the Saints, Falcons and cheated the Steelers or the Texans (can't have both). Otherwise they lost to the Chiefs, Panthers, Dolphins. And beat several "undeserved" teams such as the 4-10 Bucs, 5-9 Jets, 7-7 Chargers, 5-9 Broncos, 6-8 Raiders, 6-8 Dolphins.

TLDR: The Patriots only really beat two good teams all year.

and they beat the Bills so thats 3 real wins to none.  And when the Bills go 10 and 6 it will look even better!!!

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

COLTS   RAVENS 

Baltimore weather is expected to be in the upper 50’s and 60% rain. 

Who has the better run game? 

Better question is who has the better run D. Baltimore, no question. 

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Common opponents is the key and that's why winning the week 17 Dolphins game is a must. https://www.thescore.com/news/1450344

Yes but the article seems to be referring to solely week 16. In the end of week 16 if all 3 teams win, titans would be odd man out. Baltimore would take 5th seed from titans and bills would retain 6th seed not lose it.

10 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Yes but the article seems to be referring to solely week 16. In the end of week 16 if all 3 teams win, titans would be odd man out. Baltimore would take 5th seed from titans and bills would retain 6th seed not lose it.

I can't swear this is 100% accurate, but it looks right, after a quick analysis:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/12/18/16792052/every-scenario-for-the-buffalo-bills-to-make-the-playoffs-2017-longest-playoff-drought

If Bills go 10-6

If Buffalo wins both of their remaining games, it’s very straightforward. They need one of the teams they are tied with to lose. Los Angeles won’t come into play because the best they can do is 9-7. Buffalo only needs one of these to happen because they can’t win a four-way tie at 10-6:

• Bills win two games + Baltimore loses/ties at least one game

- or -

• Bills win two games + Tennessee loses/ties at least one game

- or -

• Bills win two games + Jaguars win/tie one game

If Bills go 9-7

This is the most convoluted because there are a host of potential outcomes. We’re making it as easy as we can. Buffalo needs TWO of these to happen:

• Bills beat Miami + Baltimore loses/ties a game
  • Bills win one game + Tennessee loses/ties to Jacksonville
  • Bills win one game + Los Angeles loses/ties one game
  • Bills win one game + Los Angeles wins two games + Kansas City loses two games

If Bills go 8-8

This one is straightforward but messy. Lots of games have to go Buffalo’s way for them to slide in the back door:

• Baltimore loses to Indianapolis and Cincinnati + Miami loses to Kansas City + Los Angeles loses one game

•  

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Serious question, if the titans lose twice, why is that bad for us?

Because the most likely outcome is that the Ravens go 10-6 and us and the Chargers go 9-7. If the Titans lose out we lose the head to head tiebreaker to Chargers. If Tennessee goes 9-7 as long as they don't beat the Jags, we win the three way tiebreaker. 

That being said, a Chargers and Titans loss would be best. It just isn't likely.

Edited by Big C

3 minutes ago, Big C said:

Because the most likely outcome is that the Ravens go 10-6 and us and the Chargers go 9-7. If the Titans lose out we lose the head to head tiebreaker to Chargers. If Tennessee goes 9-7 as long as they don't beat the Jags, we win the three way tiebreaker. 

That being said, a Chargers and Titans loss would be best. It just isn't likely.

I could see the Chargers losing tommorow 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I could see the Chargers losing tommorow 

I could too. However, if the Titans go 9-7, as long as the win is this week and not next week, we jump them in the standings. Mainly, root for the Bills and against the Chargers.

4 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

Our playoff lives just died with this ravens win! Charges will jump us win a win against the jets and our lose to the pats! 

Bad at math? Or just a defeatist?

30 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Bad at math? Or just a defeatist?

I'd say they are just a defeatist. As for your link, I know the scenarios, i was just pointing out that the article was so quick to kick us out of the 6th seed after week 16 even with a patriots win. The titans are in that situation not us.

Of course week 17 changes everything but the article literally said "even with a bills win against the patriots, the bills are out "

1 hour ago, Chicharito said:

Our playoff lives just died with this ravens win! Charges will jump us win a win against the jets and our lose to the pats! 

You're right. Season's over. Empty the lockers. Run for the bus. See you around draft time. Buh-bye.

Edited by PromoTheRobot