Mccoy needs a running mate

Wasn't Tolbert supposed to relieve the pressure on short yardage situations?

He's a bruiser. A former FB good for a couple yards and a cloud of dust. Granted he's capable of breaking a 10-12 yarder on occasion, but we need a banger who's also a breakaway threat in the backfield to spell shady

What New England does well is get worn out running backs and judiciously use them. They don't keep them for long but when they have them they usually make a great contribution. For the most part the issue isn't the talent but the mind-set and willingness to accept a diminishing role.

gosh, they say bringing up hitler in an internet conversation is Goodwin's Theory and it states arguments die here.

arguments bringing up new england should be the same.

what they do with their players has been working for them often in the past. it doesn't make sense. at all. in anyway.

gosh, they say bringing up hitler in an internet conversation is Goodwin's Theory and it states arguments die here.

arguments bringing up new england should be the same.

what they do with their players has been working for them often in the past. it doesn't make sense. at all. in anyway.

Maybe for you it is anathema to learn from winners but not for me. I'm open to learn from the most successful team in the modern history of the NFL. A lot of fans hate the Pats. Not I. I not only admire how they run their operation but I'm also traitorous enough to believe that Goodell screwed them in the inflategate fiasco.

Maybe for you it is anathema to learn from winners but not for me. I'm open to learn from the most successful team in the modern history of the NFL. A lot of fans hate the Pats. Not I. I not only admire how they run their operation but I'm also traitorous enough to believe that Goodell screwed them in the inflategate fiasco.

i don't disagree one bit about learning from the best.

but it's been almost 16 years of their success. their method has been tried and emulated countless times and failed. there is just simply something they're doing that no one else can. every assistant has floundered when they left the organization, every player essentially goes on to flounder and there is just something they do that wins. I suspect Ernie Adams, Bill Belichick, and Tom Brady combined with some cheating has got them to where they are and why they dominate

I think this has become obvious to some this year. A big back who can take some of the load off of Mccoy might extend his career and improve his efficiency. Tolbert is just a stop gap guy. This should be addressed in the offseason. I believe this is a bigger need than some people think it is. It'll keep Mccoy's legs fresh, plus this draft class is loaded with good backs.

33 touches today! I love it, but I gotta admit - coming back from that on Thursday ain't easy. A true backup who can do the things McCoy does (albeit obviously not as well) would certainly help.

Am concerned because without McCoy , our offense is done.

It seems as if the line has suddenly figured out how to block over the last two weeks. I assume some changes were made during the bye. I wonder how much say Shady had in it.

Tolbert was getting some decent yardage on some plays but he is not capable of carrying this load of Shady goes down.

I'm concerned about this as well because every time McCoy takes a big hit I'm holding my breath.

Hence the need for another Gilliselee/Karlos Williams type of player. No way this team can be confident in Tolbert getting 20+ carries a game if something happens to McCoy.

I agree. I keep hoping they trade for someone before the deadline. It was reported they were sniffing around for a RB.

...and what retread do you expect to find now?......do we even know what Banyard or Taiwan Jones can produce or is the grass definitely greener elsewhere?.....yup, they have had substantial (COUGH) opportunities, right?....

Notice how I said it should be addressed in the offseason? Didn't read well did we? Buffalo needs a guy who can rush 10-15 times next to Mccoy not 3-8 going into next year. He's 30. Tolbert is also old and not a potential replacement. Please read before commenting

Yea but no backup RB gets 15 carries a game ... not even 10

Gillislee averaged 6 carries a game last year. It be nice to have a high end backup but it's only 6 carries. Shady can be premier till he retires

Wasn't Tolbert supposed to relieve the pressure on short yardage situations?

Tolbert has been better than I expected, so McD was partially correct. But, tolbert is still an overage slug......he has football sense.....but limited skills in the extreme in terms of speed and threat. Agreed Shady needs a better back behind him. Taiwan Jones is next in line right now, I think now that Joe Banyard has been released.

Yea but Shady barely comes off the field,so while it'd be great to have a premiere backup, I don't consider it a necessity at all.

Plus Tolbert has ran very well these last 2 weeks

I didn't look up any numbers but it feels like Shady takes himself out quite a bit more than I'd like.

Tolbert has been better than I expected, so McD was partially correct. But, tolbert is still an overage slug......he has football sense.....but limited skills in the extreme in terms of speed and threat. Agreed Shady needs a better back behind him. Taiwan Jones is next in line right now, I think now that Joe Banyard has been released.

They resigned Banyard 10-28-17 to the 53.

They should get him or T Jones some meaningful carries before they are needed for heavy duty.

Yea but no backup RB gets 15 carries a game ... not even 10

Gillislee averaged 6 carries a game last year. It be nice to have a high end backup but it's only 6 carries. Shady can be premier till he retires

I never said for this season in my post. I said we should address it in the offseason in the draft. Moving forward, with Mccoy's age and durability issues, finding a guy that can carry more of the load is ideal

I never said for this season in my post. I said we should address it in the offseason in the draft. Moving forward, with Mccoy's age and durability issues, finding a guy that can carry more of the load is ideal

I'd absolutely take a RB in the 3rd or 4th round

But McCoy really has no durability issues as far as NFL running backs go... sure he has missed some games, but in his career he has played way more than he's missed

He has top of the line durability as far as NFL starting running backs go .

They will definitely bring someone in through the draft

I'd absolutely take a RB in the 3rd or 4th round

But McCoy really has no durability issues as far as NFL running backs go... sure he has missed some games, but in his career he has played way more than he's missed

He has top of the line durability as far as NFL starting running backs go .

They will definitely bring someone in through the draft

He's yet to play a full 16 game season with Buffalo so far...don't know how you can say he doesn't have durability issues. Sure early in his career he was fine but he has dealt with injuries every year he's been here.

He's yet to play a full 16 game season with Buffalo so far...don't know how you can say he doesn't have durability issues. Sure early in his career he was fine but he has dealt with injuries every year he's been here.

He had some issue his first year here.. it was his worst year of his career. He was our best player last year and missed only 1 game and hasn't missed a game all year...

If he plays all 16 this year , then he has missed only 1 game in 2 years which is superb for a starting NFL back

If they really felt like Shady needed to come out more often, they'd probably have given Banyard a chance by now. As it is, I think the plan has always been Shady tires out the D from them chasing him all game and then Tolbert can come in and run over a worn out defense in short-yardage situations.

Me personally, I'd like to have a back that's a bit more dynamic than Tolbert. But there's more to just talent and skill sets with this team. The guys with the heart and the right attitude are going to play. The days of dealing with headaches from players just because they're talented high-end picks (Dareus) are long gone. This isn't the type of team that's going to rely solely on their top-end talent and then hope that their reserves can do their job when needed. Sal C wrote a great piece about how this team is coached. Despite the talent level, every player on this team is coached and treated exactly the same.

He had some issue his first year here.. it was his worst year of his career. He was our best player last year and missed only 1 game and hasn't missed a game all year...

If he plays all 16 this year , then he has missed only 1 game in 2 years which is superb for a starting NFL back

Yes, it is good but still hurt sometimes. He's an older back. Could easily miss a few games at any given time. But I think we both agree, a mid-round back in this deep running back class would be beneficial.

Yes, it is good but still hurt sometimes. He's an older back. Could easily miss a few games at any given time. But I think we both agree, a mid-round back in this deep running back class would be beneficial.

Definitely

You can find a lot of big, strong, fast backs in the mid rounds

A thunder To shadys lightning