Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

run wise I suppose I do expect a drop off because we really dont have a run plugger like Marcel on the team at the moment.

when the raiders run on us I am sure it will get brought up a lot......but just remember....our pass rush wasnt that great against tampa and that is what you REALLY need from your DT's....they need to push the pocket and make the qb uncomfortable.

Was Marcel actually doing that for us? It is a simple yes or no question.

Pass rush? Don't think he was having much effect. Run D? Some argue he played mostly early downs, but watching games to me it seems our run D is strong regardless of the line rotation.

Nobody was gonna trade anything in the offseason for Dareus and his contract. Now was the only time anyone would be desperate enough to eat that contract. Teams are not desperate in March and April when they have free agency and the draft to fill holes. Even if there was interest in Dareus the player, teams would've waited the Bills out in the offseason knowing the Bills would cut him. Houston had to give up a 2nd rounder to get somebody to eat Osweilers contract.

Osweilers contract came with a ton of FUTURE guarantees. Dareus leaves behind a ton of dead money. Its a poor comparable.

And theres no one waiting us out expecting us to cut him (because that would be 2019)

I suspect the bigger issue was we had a different gm with different philosophy in March/April

Osweilers contract came with a ton of FUTURE guarantees. Dareus leaves behind a ton of dead money. Its a poor comparable.

And theres no one waiting us out expecting us to cut him (because that would be 2019)

I suspect the bigger issue was we had a different gm with different philosophy in March/April

browns still paid him 16m for nothing to show for it.

I will revise my statement in that I think he had a sack against TB. But you don't pay what he was being paid for an occasional good play.

You do realize sacks aren't the only "good plays" a DT can make. Right?

Someone above asked if he had an impact on pass rush. I answered. And also mentioned run D in the post I revised. Read what people actually post before commenting.

Let me rephrase:

You do understand getting a sack isn't the only "good play" one can make in the team's pass rush scheme? Right?

If you didn't mean to say that, I'm sorry. I can't read your mind.

EDIT: As with offensive linemen, many (most?) of the good plays defensive linemen make aren't reflected in the stats. They also go relatively unnoticed by the average fan.

Edited by The Dean

I will revise my statement in that I think he had a sack against TB. But you don't pay what he was being paid for an occasional good play.

It wasn't even a good play he created. The guard chipped Dareus and then doubled the outside rusher. That left a gaping hole for Dareus 2 yards from the QB. Easy play from a mistake by the offensive line.

There are many elements to this trade we are not fully aware of. First, the team likely knows if Darius is capable of focusing on his job or there will be more problems in the future. You can't win consistently with players who aren't consistent. You can't pay 100m to a non-leading player you can't trust. It's not this GMs fault the old GM gave Darius an almost untradeable contract. Darius makes one more mistake and you will never get another organization to take on his contract. Darius was one headline away from having to be cut and, I am no expert, but I would think that cap hit would be worse than this trade. I am sure Darius will play inspired for a few weeks but I am 95% sure he won't be worth the rest of his contract for Jacksonville. I also suspect his attitude in the locker room was not conducive to the atmosphere they wanted to build and this trade shows every player they are serious about what is required in the future to be a Bill. Using one overpaid player to get the attention of the rest of the team can pay off in a hundred other ways.

It's not that Darius is an awful player but for his contract he is an awful player. They have been competitive without him so it is a smart, decisive move by this GM. If you want to knock a GM knock the one that gave this guy with his known issues at the time a foolish contract extension.

I could see a second rounder costing 16m over his 4 years before leaving.

They had the cap space to waste (because they have no expensive vet stars), so they bought the right to get more players. They have the money for a 2nd rounder already. As a fan, I’d like the willingness to spend to get better. But still, the Browns??? What a mess.....

They had the cap space to waste (because they have no expensive vet stars), so they bought the right to get more players. They have the money for a 2nd rounder already. As a fan, I’d like the willingness to spend to get better. But still, the Browns??? What a mess.....

They did. The sad part is, they haven't gotten better. We have a GM/HC that is jettisoning good/great players and we aren't doing worse.

Is it the "process"? Are players playing for the coach? Are we playing to our strengths instead of our weaknesses (not on offense at least)?

We have a hand full of better than good players but the amount of players that have been exceeding what was thought to be their potential this year is probably at an all time high.

This is exactly what I have been thinking they may be up to and then using the draft to build up around him (or Jimmy Garrapolo). With this strategy they have draft options. just odd....

WHY WOULD WE REACH OUT FOR Cousins or Jimmy G when we have Tyrod Taylor???!!!?????

I just cannot comprehend this thinking, I recently spoke to a Giant, Jet, Raven and Bronco fan. All 4 are very knowledgeable fans , with very high football i.q's, each one had extremely high praise for Taylor. Saying they would "love" to have him as their QB , and view him as one of the toughest QB's to defend in the NFL!

Then I come on here and ppl are talking about aquiring all these different QB's on a regular basis, it drives me absolutely nuts how our QB is so heavily respected by very knowledgeable fans of other teams yet talked about on here like he is garbage and must be replaced asap.. Drives me crazy,but I'll just continue to enjoy watching him play and improve as a QB who still has under 40 starts!!

We'll see who takes on double teams with his departure.

No one. Teams will block our DL 1:1 and double to open up holes. MD may have not showed up large in sacks and tackles, but he drew two blockers consistently. I am not saying he was worth the $ but don't tell me we won't miss a step without him.