Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

Like I asked earlier today, are any of those touting Dareus' importance because he takes on double teams the same people who bitched incessantly about him having to do that in Ryan's scheme at times?

Not sure that matters. It's not his decision whether he was double teamed or not. People were complaining he was intentionally being misused with Ryan as a more conventional NT clogger of the line rather than a disrupter and going after QB. He wasn't doing any of that because the whole D was a cluster fuk but that's what people were complaining about. Not that he was double teamed and taking on blockers.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the bottom line: Doesn't matter if you like the trade, or hate the trade. The compensation received for a player of the caliber and age of Dareus is one of the most lopsided trades ever. People can chime in all they want about cap space saved, but you still save the same cap space if we trade him for more or better draft picks.

And in terms of this year, we are a team with the longest playoff drought in the NFL and sitting on a 4-2 record. We have some talented QB's ahead of us on our schedule and future cap space and a future 6th round pick isn't going to help us beat those QB's and teams, but Dareus would have. Yes its been a slow start with him being in the dog house and then not being healthy. But he had a good game last week and looked to be back on track moving forward.

So if all we got was a measly 6th round pick, we SHOULD HAVE waited until the offseason where we could have gotten the same 6th round pick or most likely better if Dareus stayed on the field the rest the season. I have no issue trading, just a BIG issue with the measly compensation not making it worth doing now vs the offseason.

and then we're on the hook for another year of the cap hit.

Like I asked earlier today, are any of those touting Dareus' importance because he takes on double teams the same people who bitched incessantly about him having to do that in Ryan's scheme at times?

At the limited cap savings it was at least a role that justified the extra couple million in the cap. We would have to spend as much or more to get a guy to fill that role. If he starts getting after the qb again its a disaster.

Not sure that matters. It's not his decision whether he was double teamed or not. People were complaining he was intentionally being misused with Ryan as a more conventional NT clogger of the line rather than a disrupter and going after QB. He wasn't doing any of that because the whole D was a cluster fuk but that's what people were complaining about. Not that he was double teamed and taking on blockers.

I remember the bitching differently. Constant complaints about how Ryan was using him as a 2 gap NT to take up blockers to keep the LBs clean when his strength was as a one gap, penetrating DT who could get after the passer. And while none of that matters in the grand scheme of things, I find it highly ironic none the less.

Dareus had a good final five minutes last week. He sucked the rest of the game. Especially when it came to getting off the ball quick and providing pressure on passing downs. He was content with playing paddy cake with the OLmen otherwise.

:lol: Watching the TB game again. 1st two plays of the game, Dareus was doubled as the LDT and the RDT. 3rd play he was cut block by the RG, but rose to his feet and just missed the tackle on Doug Martin. 4th play he stacked and shed against the RG to make the tackle on Martin for a gain of 1.

At the limited cap savings it was at least a role that justified the extra couple million in the cap. We would have to spend as much or more to get a guy to fill that role. If he starts getting after the qb again its a disaster.

At the limited cap savings? I see the question differently; as the highest paid player on the team, shouldn't he have been giving both as a run stopper AND a pass rusher?

I sincerely hope he regains his lost form in Jax, but if all they want him to be is that run stopper they lack currently, it's a HUGE waste of salary on a 2 down player.

:lol: Watching the TB game again. 1st two plays of the game, Dareus was doubled as the LDT and the RDT. 3rd play he was cut block by the RG, but rose to his feet and just missed the tackle on Doug Martin. 4th play he stacked and shed against the RG to make the tackle on Martin for a gain of 1.

How's he doing on those pass plays? Getting any push? Any push at all? Fast forward to some of those plays and watch how fast KW gets off the ball while Dareus just dances with his opponent. He sucked in that game and I don't care what you, McD or anyone else has to say about it so save your breath. As the highest paid player on the team he OWED it to his teammates, coaches, and fans to sell out FAR more often than he was willing to.

Is this where I put the smiley face?

The statement from his own HC is evidence enough for me. They also said things like "He's not a bad guy," and "now he'll get a fresh start." Teams shouldn't feel the need to say things like that about their highest paid player. I wouldn't be surprised if Dareus says something in the next week or so to remove all doubt.

I don't want to get into a back-and-forth about this, because (as I'm sure you can see for yourself) that gets REALLY tedious. So this will probably be my last comment on the matter.

McDermott made his comment in September. There hasn't been a negative peep from management, or any other players, since. Beane's complimentary (well, relatively) was made just a day ago. Now, I think it's important to keep in mind McDermott was probably trying to prod Marcel a bit in September, and Beane was probably trying to be a bit gracious on the day of his exit. Still, I don't find this as any convincing evidence he wasn't buying in, at least as the season moved on.

See? Nuance.

At the limited cap savings? I see the question differently; as the highest paid player on the team, shouldn't he have been giving both as a run stopper AND a pass rusher?

I sincerely hope he regains his lost form in Jax, but if all they want him to be is that run stopper they lack currently, it's a HUGE waste of salary on a 2 down player.

How's he doing on those pass plays? Getting any push? Any push at all? Fast forward to some of those plays and watch how fast KW gets off the ball while Dareus just dances with his opponent. He sucked in that game and I don't care what you, McD or anyone else has to say about it so save your breath. As the highest paid player on the team he OWED it to his teammates, coaches, and fans to sell out FAR more often than he was willing to.

Is this where I put the smiley face?

Snark aside. The TB OL payed plenty of attention to him. I watched Kyle get blown off the LoS once by a single block and another time by a double. You have made up your mind regardless of what anyone presents to you. Gotcha. BTW if you want to go by stats ( I wouldn't), KW had 1 solo tackle for the entire game.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Snark aside. The TB OL payed plenty of attention to him. I watched Kyle get blown off the LoS once by a single block and another time by a double. You have made up your mind regardless of what anyone presents to you. Gotcha.

Pot meet kettle

Hypocrisy, aint it grand.

Love Mrs Peterman.

Snark aside. The TB OL payed plenty of attention to him. I watched Kyle get blown off the LoS once by a single block and another time by a double. You have made up your mind regardless of what anyone presents to you. Gotcha.

No, I haven’t. I’m just not willing to excuse the majority of plays where he gave less than a good effort for the handful of plays when he did. If you’re ok with that kind of attitude, fine. But I expect more from the highest paid player on the team at all times. And I know for a fact his teammates and coaches do to.

Pot meet kettle

Hypocrisy, aint it grand.

Love Mrs Peterman.

You're not getting enough attention? Sorry your boy is on the bench. You'll recover eventually.

No, I haven’t. I’m just not willing to excuse the majority of plays where he gave less than a good effort for the handful of plays when he did. If you’re ok with that kind of attitude, fine. But I expect more from the highest paid player on the team at all times. And I know for a fact his teammates and coaches do to.

You just said he did nothing until the last 5 minutes of the TB game. I just watched the 1st series where he made one excellent play on the 4th play of the game. That tells me right away that you're biased.

You just said he did nothing until the last 5 minutes of the TB game. I just watched the 1st series where he made one excellent play on the 4th play of the game. That tells me right away that you're biased.

It’s called hyperbole used to make a larger point. Which is that he didn’t have a great game by any stretch and I find the “but he tied up two blockers” argument mighty weak sauce to prove that he did.

I’m not biased against Marcel Dareus. Not in the least. My hope is he can reclaim his potential and flourish in a new setting. But I won’t miss the player he’s been the last two plus seasons.

It’s called hyperbole used to make a larger point. Which is that he didn’t have a great game by any stretch and I find the “but he tied up two blockers” argument mighty weak sauce to prove that he did.

I’m not biased against Marcel Dareus. Not in the least. My hope is he can reclaim his potential and flourish in a new setting. But I won’t miss the player he’s been the last two plus seasons.

There weren't many that excelled on the Bills D the last two seasons under you know who.

Really the same? So you know that the other DTs can pick up his snaps counts and with no falloff. And what happens when one goes down

What happens if an earthquake swallows up the Ralph?

The guy underperformed, wasn't worth the big salary, and he's gone. And there are 4 other DTs there that can play. And the D especially the run D will be fine, as it was when Dareus wasn't in the field.

You're not getting enough attention? Sorry your boy is on the bench. You'll recover eventually.

Dear Mr 26Copypaste.

You are tolerated because you post stuff here and save people the time of looking it up themselves.

Other than that your holier than thou attitude really sucks.

You hate being called out and you damn well know it.

Keep trolling that I still am calling out for Peterman. Your repetition is as bad as jm2009.

We both know the truth of it.

P.S. I hope your feelings arent hurt.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Very good question.

One thing I am not buying into is a process that results in trading someone who is a difference maker for a 6th round pick whether that guy is "buying in" or not.

Let's put this all in perspective. Before the compensation was known, take a look at what the expectation was for what we would receive by re-reading the 11th post in this string.

To argue that a 6th round pick is some kind of huge victory seems laughable. Trading him to Doug Marrone's team for a 6th round pick is depressing.

P.S. I wonder if the Steelers will get more than a 6th round pick for Martavis Bryant. That would be really depressing.

I guess i have to ask....is Marcel actually being a difference maker?

Im not talking about 2 years ago...im talking about now.

Here is the bottom line: Doesn't matter if you like the trade, or hate the trade. The compensation received for a player of the caliber and age of Dareus is one of the most lopsided trades ever. People can chime in all they want about cap space saved, but you still save the same cap space if we trade him for more or better draft picks.

And in terms of this year, we are a team with the longest playoff drought in the NFL and sitting on a 4-2 record. We have some talented QB's ahead of us on our schedule and future cap space and a future 6th round pick isn't going to help us beat those QB's and teams, but Dareus would have. Yes its been a slow start with him being in the dog house and then not being healthy. But he had a good game last week and looked to be back on track moving forward.

So if all we got was a measly 6th round pick, we SHOULD HAVE waited until the offseason where we could have gotten the same 6th round pick or most likely better if Dareus stayed on the field the rest the season. I have no issue trading, just a BIG issue with the measly compensation not making it worth doing now vs the offseason.

Nobody was gonna trade anything in the offseason for Dareus and his contract. Now was the only time anyone would be desperate enough to eat that contract. Teams are not desperate in March and April when they have free agency and the draft to fill holes. Even if there was interest in Dareus the player, teams would've waited the Bills out in the offseason knowing the Bills would cut him. Houston had to give up a 2nd rounder to get somebody to eat Osweilers contract.

Dear Mr 26Copypaste.

You are tolerated because you post stuff here and save people the time of looking it up themselves.

Other than that your holier than thou attitude really sucks.

You hate being called out and you damn well know it.

Keep trolling that I still am calling out for Peterman. Your repetition is as bad as jm2009.

We both know the truth of it.

P.S. I hope your feelings arent hurt.

3/6/17 :lol:

What happens if an earthquake swallows up the Ralph?

The guy underperformed, wasn't worth the big salary, and he's gone. And there are 4 other DTs there that can play. And the D especially the run D will be fine, as it was when Dareus wasn't in the field.

run wise I suppose I do expect a drop off because we really dont have a run plugger like Marcel on the team at the moment.

when the raiders run on us I am sure it will get brought up a lot......but just remember....our pass rush wasnt that great against tampa and that is what you REALLY need from your DT's....they need to push the pocket and make the qb uncomfortable.

Was Marcel actually doing that for us? It is a simple yes or no question.