What do the Bills do to fix this offense?

Like most of us have said when Tyrod taylor was resigned, he's not good enough to come from behind and put games on his back to win, anyone who thinks it's lack of WR help just doesn't understand that the QB makes the WR, not the other way around. We have to play unbelievable defense every game and game manage with the offense and that's how you attack each game. Until this team drafts a true franchise QB this is what we have to work with.

I guess I don't understand. Because from where I sit, a good QB can make WRs look good and good WRs can make a QB look good. It takes two to tango.

Tyrod may not be a great QB but he'd be more productive with better protection and better targets.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess I don't understand. Because from where I sit, a good QB can make WRs look good and good WRs can make a QB look good. It takes two to tango.

Tyrod may not be a great QB but he'd be more productive with better protection and better targets.

Exactly, it's not a hard and fast rule that the QB makes the WR. Is AJ Green " made by " Andy Dalton? Of course not. Did Hopkins in HOU manage to make mediocre QBs look good? Yes. He was unable to make a really really crappy one in Osweiller look respectable, however. Conversely, Brady has made a plethora of avaerage WRs look good. Taylor has shown in the past ( at least for the second half of the 2015 season) that he can take advantage of elite WR skills of a Watkins caliber. He's still a middling QB, but he can win games with decent WRs. With a group of practice squad type talent WRs, the results will be underwhelming.

I think when a QB steps up to the line of scrimmage knowing he has 3 downs to throw for a 1st it allows for a different mindset and its a big part of the reason good rhythm is often created in the passing game during the 2 minure drill. (IMO)

Throw the football more on 1st down...

Some ideas:

Get away from the zone blocking scheme and see if that helps. We were #1 in rushing behind Shady and this same OL (pretty much) the past 2 years. Go back to what was working.

Draft or sign a WR that will force defenses to respect his speed. I suspect opposing S's are cheating a lot. It's killing our run game.

I don't know that changing QB would help any. Tyrod has no one to throw to that would even be a starter on most teams and the run game has stalled.

Peterman is a rookie. Let's not throw him to the wolves just yet.

Replace Eric Wood. He's one of the worst starting C's in the NFL and has been for a while.

Draft or sign a new LT and move Glenn to RG. Pray that Dawkins pans out.

If we can't trade up and get someone like Darnold (and I'm not sure we should anyways) draft best available and let him compete for the job with Tyrod and Nate.

Edited by GreggTX

I don't want to punish him. I just want to light a fire under his A$$. It's been 5 weeks of he'll get over it. He's hurting us and costing us games.

How much easier of a pass can he get than the one he tipped to Holmes or the 3rd down drive killing bomb vs Falcons?

I just have to question keeping sending him out there and babying him. It's the bigs. If you don't produce, you get replaced. Ask EJ.

Not saying he'll never be good. I'm just saying a little dog house duty might do some good.

I just wanted to point out that pass deflected to Holmes was tipped by Aquib Talib before Zay had a shot at it. I also think benching him now isn't the best idea. He doesn't need a fire under his @?"#%. He needs to relax and just try to have fun. He's putting a lot of pressure on himself. I think his route running is his biggest problem. He's not getting separation. One good game would do wonders for his confidence.

its all about zay jones last 2 games we lost tt is ok we need a play catcher tolbert is out thumper thats it vlad is worthless i see what they wanna do someone needs to teach or pressure zay bring that other rookie up to pressure him. dude cannot sense ball at all.

I just wanted to point out that pass deflected to Holmes was tipped by Aquib Talib before Zay had a shot at it. I also think benching him now isn't the best idea. He doesn't need a fire under his @?"#%. He needs to relax and just try to have fun. He's putting a lot of pressure on himself. I think his route running is his biggest problem. He's not getting separation. One good game would do wonders for his confidence.

Wrong

post-26967-0-34375300-1508074054_thumb.jpg

Personally...if they can find a way to stabilize the OL that would go a long way toward fixing this......

Glenn at RT and Dawkins at RT where they belong

I'm assuming you mean Dawkins at LT in which case, I've been thinking the same thing.

Beyond that, they hired a mediocrity at OL Coach/Run game coordinator, so unless Juan Castillo suddenly gets better than his track record or they find someone better to replace him, the run game they've had for the last two years is gone and they're stuck. I've posted this before but worth repeating - NO ONE here in Ravens-land was anything other than happy to see Castillo go. I think the Ravens just got their revenge on us for the Lee Evans trade.

TT isn't going to pull them out of this, regardless of who the receivers are.

If I heard correctly, the Bills gained 36 yards on 6 drives in the second half. 32 of those yards were on 1 drive. Meaning Buffalo gained a measley 4 yards on 5 drives! Thats astonishingly bad, and almost not believable. With that being said... where do we go from here to get this fixed?

Hypothetically, if we could trade just the second round pick we acquired for Watkins, back for Watkins or another dynamic WR, should we?

Let Dennison go?

Ride it out and hope for improvements?

Promote from the PS? Reilly or Dupre?

It just baffles me that they changed a running scheme that was #1 in the league last year, totally fit our personnel, and switched to this zone blocking scheme this year. Something needs to be done over the bye week.

Thoughts?

did you purposely leave out the most obvious option?

1. Let's not panic.

2. Put Groy in at RT or bring Mudge in from PS. Dawkins or Glenn still at LT.

3. Promote Reilly up to WR

4. Replace Tolbert with Banyard

5. Tell TT to throw quicker. Can not stand in the pocket.

I'd give that a whirl!