How losing Gilmore helped Bills build a winning secondary

YoloinOhio

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excellent point. but man it feels good to watch us hit on a 1st round pick and see Belichick screw up another personnel move.

$40m GUARANTEED for gilmore. Hes basically uncuttable, which means Bill has to continually be reminded he sucks at being a GM. Like when he watched Chandler Jones dominate last week and he sits with the worst defense in the league.

GEEEEENIUS.....

They could have kept Logan Ryan for 1/3 the money. Their secondary was good last year. Overpaid for Gillislee too. You don't need that many RBs who do the same thing. Edited by YoloinOhio

Not a great point when looking objectively at the Bills' receiving corps. Make that receiving corpse.

He conceded it would be nice to have him but that wasn't his point he was making which was that he probably wasn't worth the sort of money that Sammy would have been asking for. And there is very little aside in Sammy's history or even current play from a few stretches here and there to merit the $15M+ a year he'd most likely be looking to get.

We as fans for once knew that Gilmore wasn't as good as he thought he was & was going to go for the big $$$ as they usually do & i think that's why him & possibly Sammy are gone .

Gilmore & Watkins both had made statements about how they thought they needed to get paid A LOT more cash than they were getting which is what a bunch of players are about & McD & company are continuing to prove they were not needed .

Dareus is also finding out he isn't as big a part of the puzzle as he thought he was & the supposed lessor players are stepping up & doing more than what he has done now & in the recent past ...

I think next year some how some way Bean & company will find a home some where other than B/lo for Mr. Big stuff & when he gets where he is going he will have some decent games but be less of a factor than thought just like Gilmore !!

I believe Dareus is playing at half speed because he is still booty hurt due to McD sending him home & is thinking

"they need me I'm a huge part of this D I'll show them & not play hard" & McD is showing him that there is still no I in team !!

GO BILLS !!!

Edited by T master

He conceded it would be nice to have him but that wasn't his point he was making which was that he probably wasn't worth the sort of money that Sammy would have been asking for. And there is very little aside in Sammy's history or even current play from a few stretches here and there to merit the $15M+ a year he'd most likely be looking to get.

Where'd you get the $15M number from?

eh come on. This is too simplistic.

But, give credit where credit is due. Whaley didn't sign Gilmore. His scouting work landed on Tre White. Safeties were Whaley finds. Beane brought in Gaines. So 3/4 Whaley 1/4 Beane.

I believe the personnel decisions were largely in McDermott's hands. Whaley was a lame duck and the only thing he likely did was hand over scouting reports from the people under him. Glad things have worked out this way though. Our defense is legit.

Pro Football Focus' grading has also not been friendly to Gilmore this season. They rank him 71st among NFL cornerbacks. The Bills have two cornerbacks (White No. 5 and Gaines No. 18) in the top 20 of PFF's grading, while Poyer is No. 8 among safeties and Hyde is No. 34.

This can't possibly be true. I've read right here on this site that he is very, very good CB and a much better tackler than given credit for. And, that McBean made a huge mistake letting him go...just give him a few more million.

Bills fans should slow down on the celebration about how terrible Gilmore is, he is stil young in the Belichek system.

After spending two years in Camp Rex he went to a sophisticated system in the New England backfield where you have to know what all the wrs, tes, rb and even QB are doing as well as what your tea mates are doing...the Rex system was for the most part, you cover X, sometimes you will have safety help sometimes you wont, that was almost the extent to what he did in Buffalo 90% of the time. Give Gilmore a year in this system and we may not be slapping ourselves on the back as much, at some point he might "get it".

I got flamed for this when I said it before but I’ve trusted this group since they were brought on board as there was no reason not to. What was seemingly foolish transactions were clearly based on what they had seen...and since none of us are there, you have to trust in them.

I look at what Sammy has done and simply say, “Thank God he is not ours”. Not that he hasn’t or won’t have big games but i don’t believe he will be worth what he demands come the end of this season. Would be nice to have him, but....

That's ridiculous. There was little reason to trust an inexperienced group, actually no reason to except blind optimism. Sammy has already paid off for the Rams offense ( you haven't been watching them if you think otherwise) and will surely have an even bigger role as time goes on. He just got there. As for Gilmore, I never liked the player and CBs on second contracts are generally overpaid relative to their value. Gilmores talent level at his position is nowhere near Watkins. If you watch the Bills and thank your lucky stars they don't have Watkins I'm not sure if you understand Offense.

That's ridiculous. There was little reason to trust an inexperienced group, actually no reason to except blind optimism. Sammy has already paid off for the Rams offense ( you haven't been watching them if you think otherwise) and will surely have an even bigger role as time goes on. He just got there. As for Gilmore, I never liked the player and CBs on second contracts are generally overpaid relative to their value. Gilmores talent level at his position is nowhere near Watkins. If you watch the Bills and thank your lucky stars they don't have Watkins I'm not sure if you understand Offense.

I understand cautious optimism like the next guy, but to suggest the *only* reason to trust the current regime would be blind optimism is ridiculous. It's not like McDermott and Beane were brought in to run the Bills following their successful launch of a Tim Horton franchise.

We get it; the Pegulas don't know what they're doing and some of you could run this team better if only you had a couple billion sitting around.

But you don't have a few billion sitting around, and the Pegulas did the one thing that EVERYONE was begging them to do -- keep the Bills in Buffalo. For that, they deserve at least the benefit of the doubt that they can build a winner. The Rex hire was a swing and a miss. But they were willing to admit that mistake, eat a bunch of cash, and try again. This time seems to be working very well. No reason to think it won't keep improving at this point, except to think you know something everyone else at OBD doesn't know.

I understand cautious optimism like the next guy, but to suggest the *only* reason to trust the current regime would be blind optimism is ridiculous. It's not like McDermott and Beane were brought in to run the Bills following their successful launch of a Tim Horton franchise.

We get it; the Pegulas don't know what they're doing and some of you could run this team better if only you had a couple billion sitting around.

But you don't have a few billion sitting around, and the Pegulas did the one thing that EVERYONE was begging them to do -- keep the Bills in Buffalo. For that, they deserve at least the benefit of the doubt that they can build a winner. The Rex hire was a swing and a miss. But they were willing to admit that mistake, eat a bunch of cash, and try again. This time seems to be working very well. No reason to think it won't keep improving at this point, except to think you know something everyone else at OBD doesn't know.

Good post! All True.

Where'd you get the $15M number from?

That's what I believe his agent would be looking for him to get on the open market. Of course, if he keeps producing what he has been then they would probably have to readjust that thinking.