Deshawn Watson is better then Tyrod. Yes I said it

I think those 2 depended more on their legs than Watson. I know you cant do cross racial comparisons (its against the law), but I see some Steve Young to Watson. Guys who are great runners but would rather stand in the pocket to make plays.

But as you said, well see. Its very early but man, he looks about as good as any rookie qb I can remember.

I've yet to see him play so I can't say a lot. You can't argue he's gotten accolades for his play.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I banged the drum for Watson predraft. He is a special player. Scouts get caught up in measurables and you get people like EJ Manuel taken in the 1st Round. Meanwhile guys like Russel Wilson, Watson, Carr and Bridgewater drop. It's why a guy like Josh Allen who has no accuracy or pocket presence will go early in next years draft and be a bust because he has great measurables.

I could not agree with this more. Well said. Because Watson could not throw the ball 80 yards threw a tire people were down on him. Kid is a gamer & knows how to play the position. Big game tested, which means a ton in my eyes.

Are you familiar with the concept of paragraphs?

And by the way, when you bemoan not having a higher round pick because all the good QBs are gone, but then list guys like Carr and Wilson and Prescott as guys we should have gotten, all of whom were second round and beyond, it make your argument look dumb.

Paragraphs or no paragraphs the guy makes an excellent point.

I could not agree with this more. Well said. Because Watson could not throw the ball 80 yards threw a tire people were down on him. Kid is a gamer & knows how to play the position. Big game tested, which means a ton in my eyes.

Paragraphs or no paragraphs the guy makes an excellent point.

Except for saying we won't get a QB without drafting in the upper part of round 1, then listing a number of guys as examples of whom we missed. All of whom were drafted later than middle of round 1.

PFF just posted a nice article about why they have Deshaun Watson as only the 28th best QB in their rankings (or 16th if you take out the half he played against Jacksonville):

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-deshaun-watsons-big-rookie-season-what-you-arent-seeing

Highlights:

There are four big numbers that tell the story to this point:

-Fourth-highest percentage of negatively graded throws

-Ninth-highest percentage of turnover-worthy plays

-Lowest drop rate in the league by receivers, only two drops

-Charged with four sacks, tied for seventh among quarterbacks

Watson is simply missing too many throws, as evidenced by an adjusted completion percentage of 66.1 percent that ranks 33rd out of 34 qualifiers. His completion percentage of 61.5 percent ranks 24th in the league, and thats aided by his having only two drops all season. The four sacks charged to Watson (as opposed to blockers) were made even worse by two fumbles due to poor ball security, but those plays do not show up in his stats and theyre rarely separated out in other metrics.

Lets wrap it up on a positive note. Watson has three years of strong college grading under his belt and we saw his playmaking ability throughout his college career. Its been on display early in his pro career as he currently ranks ninth in the league in big-time throw percentage and 13th in percentage of positively graded throws. Watson is also ranked fourth among quarterbacks with a rushing grade of 85.3, so hes added plenty of value to the Houston offense. Hes also had interception luck, sure-handed receivers, and questionable work in the pocket that has either padded or gone unnoticed on the stat sheet. When you add it all up, Watson has been a mid-tier quarterback since taking over as a starter back in Week 2 after a disastrous debut in Week 1 that is still dragging down his overall PFF grade.

Pretty much what Ive been seeing as well. His receivers are helping him out big time but he still shows poor accuracy and poor decision making on a too consistent basis. I tend to think his faults will start to catch up to him on the stats sheet.

I still think it is funny that there are people banging the table for him that don't even know his name!! It has a "U" not a "W." It is really bothering me for some reason.

I'm a Watson fan and always have been (except against OSU). He was a great college player and is on his way to being a good pro. He has "it."

I still think it is funny that there are people banging the table for him that don't even know his name!! It has a "U" not a "W." It is really bothering me for some reason.

I'm a Watson fan and always have been (except against OSU). He was a great college player and is on his way to being a good pro. He has "it."

What could have been if Whaley was actually in charge of the draft?

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/4/8/15225118/buffalo-bills-doug-whaley-possibly-in-love-with-deshaun-watson-nfl-draft-2017

I guess we need to see what Beane and co. have in store for next years draft. I hope we hit big!

Edited by Real McCoy

What could have been if Whaley was actually in charge of the draft?

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/4/8/15225118/buffalo-bills-doug-whaley-possibly-in-love-with-deshaun-watson-nfl-draft-2017

I guess we need to see what Beane and co. have in store for next years draft. I hope we hit big!

....and with this gang around these parts, there should be a TON of bust labels being handed out during OTA's and pre-season.......PLENTY of time for a draft pick to show his wares, right (COUGH)?.....definition of the "one and done" crowd...............oh joy........then you wonder why Buffalo's welcoming "red carpet" is stained with pigeon droppings......

I banged the drum for Watson predraft. He is a special player. Scouts get caught up in measurables and you get people like EJ Manuel taken in the 1st Round. Meanwhile guys like Russel Wilson, Watson, Carr and Bridgewater drop. It's why a guy like Josh Allen who has no accuracy or pocket presence will go early in next years draft and be a bust because he has great measurables.

When I look at Watson, I see a guy with the upper body of a franchise NFL QB, and the lower body of an NFL wide receiver. The recent cases of RGIII and Bridgewater are clear reminders of QBs who just didn't have the right NFL QB body type to take a pounding.

The Bills could have liked his game, but maybe they didn't want to risk picking him that high because of what they perceived as Watson being a QB with a much higher probability of having a bad injury, which in turn would force the team to start over in a franchise QB search. Of course, I don't know...I'm just throwing out the possibility of why they didn't take him.

There are exceptions like the Bills current starting QB, but he wasn't a top 10 pick so that kind of huge risk was never there.

Edited by 1billsfan

Update Watson now has 19 Passing TD’s that leads the NFL and 2 Rushing TD’s Total 21 TD’s that leads the NFL, QB rating 103 and a off the charts 8.3 yards per attempt. First QB in NFL history since the league was formed in 1920 to have 400 yards passing 4 TD’s passing and over 50 yards running in one NFL game. all that and he sat the first game and a half to start the season.

I started this thread, so here is my adjusted thoughts on this subject. Watson is off to the best start of any rookie QB ever. He now has 15 TD passes and 2 Rushing TD for a total of 17 TD's which leads the entire NFL his passer rating is 101. Note he did not play in the 1st one and a half games that the Texans played in. Tryrod will be lucky to get to 17 total TD's by week 12. So Watson has done all this in 4 1/2 games and is one of leading players to be in consideration for NFL MVP and Rookie of the year. If Watson had played in the other games where Tom Savage was playing he would be over 20 Total TD's. Can you imagine what a extra 10 TD's would look like on Bills, (Tyrod has 7)We would be undefeated and talking about a Super Bowl run.

Please don't give me the excuse it's because he has better receivers. The last 2 QB's for the Texans could barely get that team to score 20 points a game with those same receivers and running backs and he also is missing his best tight end who's injured. Now with Watson at the helm the Texans are averaging 34 points a game. The Bills just keep passing on QBs. We're 3-2 because of are defense not because of our offense.

So let's just keep passing on QB's Like Mahomes , Watson, Russell Wilson, Carr and Dak the list goes on and on. We're just so stupid to keep doing what we're doing and not drafting a QB at the 10th selection. Tyrod is a good person he works hard and is a leader and he is a decent QB but he's a Bridge QB not a franchise QB. All those QB's I'm listed above are better then Tyrod in my opinion. We had a chance to draft everyone of them. This fantasy that now that the Bills have 2 number ones and they will be able to trade up to get there QB will not work. We will end up at around the 20th pick and the Chiefs will be 30, 31 or 32. If I'm the Jets, Browns, Jags, 49ers, Broncos, Dolphins, Chargers and Giants. I'm not trading with the Bills so they can get one of the 4 Franchise QB's that will be in next years draft.

I have my doubts Darnold will come out. If I'm one of the GM's of those teams I listed I would not even take 4 Number 1 picks and trade with the Bills. Why would I want to do that so I can lose out on a franchise QB like Darnold from USC, Rosen UCLA,Lamar Jackson Louisville or Baker Mayfield Oklahoma, The Bills had there chance last draft they had the 10th pick and decided to trade out and not take Mahomes or Watson. The Browns are even worse. They had the 1st and 12 pick in the draft and did not take a QB. They traded the 12th pick to the Texans and the Texans drafted Watson.

The whole thing just stinks to high heaven. This is what happens when you try to play cute and not take care of the most important position in football. I don't care how good are CB white from LSU is. Even if he makes all pro it's not worth not drafting a QB when you have that low of draft pick. We will not be that low again for a long time. Yes this next draft will not bring us the QB we need, they will be all gone. We are just plain stupid, but nothing can top what the Browns did. Having 2 picks in the top 12 selections and you don't come away with one of those QB's. Pathetic is all I've got to say.

Update Watson now has 19 Passing TD’s that leads the NFL and 2 Rushing TD’s Total 21 TD’s that leads the NFL, QB rating 103 and a off the charts 8.3 yards per attempt. First QB in NFL history since the league was formed in 1920 to have 400 yards passing 4 TD’s passing and over 50 yards running in one NFL game. all that and he sat the first game and a half to start the season.

I started this thread, so here is my adjusted thoughts on this subject. Watson is off to the best start of any rookie QB ever. He now has 15 TD passes and 2 Rushing TD for a total of 17 TD's which leads the entire NFL his passer rating is 101. Note he did not play in the 1st one and a half games that the Texans played in. Tryrod will be lucky to get to 17 total TD's by week 12. So Watson has done all this in 4 1/2 games and is one of leading players to be in consideration for NFL MVP and Rookie of the year. If Watson had played in the other games where Tom Savage was playing he would be over 20 Total TD's. Can you imagine what a extra 10 TD's would look like on Bills, (Tyrod has 7)We would be undefeated and talking about a Super Bowl run.

Please don't give me the excuse it's because he has better receivers. The last 2 QB's for the Texans could barely get that team to score 20 points a game with those same receivers and running backs and he also is missing his best tight end who's injured. Now with Watson at the helm the Texans are averaging 34 points a game. The Bills just keep passing on QBs. We're 3-2 because of are defense not because of our offense.

So let's just keep passing on QB's Like Mahomes , Watson, Russell Wilson, Carr and Dak the list goes on and on. We're just so stupid to keep doing what we're doing and not drafting a QB at the 10th selection. Tyrod is a good person he works hard and is a leader and he is a decent QB but he's a Bridge QB not a franchise QB. All those QB's I'm listed above are better then Tyrod in my opinion. We had a chance to draft everyone of them. This fantasy that now that the Bills have 2 number ones and they will be able to trade up to get there QB will not work. We will end up at around the 20th pick and the Chiefs will be 30, 31 or 32. If I'm the Jets, Browns, Jags, 49ers, Broncos, Dolphins, Chargers and Giants. I'm not trading with the Bills so they can get one of the 4 Franchise QB's that will be in next years draft.

I have my doubts Darnold will come out. If I'm one of the GM's of those teams I listed I would not even take 4 Number 1 picks and trade with the Bills. Why would I want to do that so I can lose out on a franchise QB like Darnold from USC, Rosen UCLA,Lamar Jackson Louisville or Baker Mayfield Oklahoma, The Bills had there chance last draft they had the 10th pick and decided to trade out and not take Mahomes or Watson. The Browns are even worse. They had the 1st and 12 pick in the draft and did not take a QB. They traded the 12th pick to the Texans and the Texans drafted Watson.

The whole thing just stinks to high heaven. This is what happens when you try to play cute and not take care of the most important position in football. I don't care how good are CB white from LSU is. Even if he makes all pro it's not worth not drafting a QB when you have that low of draft pick. We will not be that low again for a long time. Yes this next draft will not bring us the QB we need, they will be all gone. We are just plain stupid, but nothing can top what the Browns did. Having 2 picks in the top 12 selections and you don't come away with one of those QB's. Pathetic is all I've got to say.

Please tell me how the whole thing stinks to high heaven when

- Your starting QB is actually playing well

- We drafted a possible defensive rookie of the year.....who is actually looking better then Stephon Gilmore

- We have 2 1st round picks next year

Please tell me how the whole thing stinks to high heaven. I root for the Texans rook....hope Watson has a great career....but you act like the bills made a BAD choice...and they didnt

Closest thing Buffalo had this year to a shootout was vs Tampa. Taylor threw for 268 ran for 60 and did not turn over the ball. As great as Watson was if he doesn't throw a pick 6 and another pick inside the 30 in their own territory the Texans win the ball game and he throws for less than 300 let alone 400.

If Taylor only played as well as Car maybe Buffalo could have won the game?

Edited by Mat68