Deshawn Watson is better then Tyrod. Yes I said it

I cant believe there is even another side to this debate.

Its over. Yes, Watson is better than Tyrod. The Bills passed again on using their first/original pick in Round 1 on a QB. The Bills screwed up again. These are ENTIRE YEARS of peoples lives (i.e., my aging dad) that the Bills continue to piss away as part of some incoherent, inscrutable design that I may never fully understand.

DRAFT A GODD- QUARTERBACK!

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You carefully ignored my closing statement: We did very well for ourselves in the draft. We got what has been a top rookie DB in the NFL, a position of massive need and loaded up on picks to get a QB this draft if they decide to do so.

No team rebuilds every position in one draft, its a process and the front office made good moves to rebuild this team in this draft. Has Watson looked good so far, yes, but lets not pretend he was some slam dunk on draft night.

And lets be real honest with ourselves here...how many people are ACTUALLY watching the games Watson plays in versus checking the stat box? He has had a lot of success just chucking the ball up into double coverage and stuff and letting his extremely talented WR group go up and get the ball. I love watching Watson play in college and I am watching him play now, but a lot of what he has accomplished has been greatly helped by the talent level of who he is throwing too. TT has NO ONE here in Buffalo and I doubt Watson would be playing anything close as good here if he was a Buffalo Bill working with these scrubs to throw to. In fact, I don't think its unreasonable to say TT would also be having a pretty good season if he was playing in Houston too.

Anyone trying to compare TT and Watson is only doing so because they play the same position, not because they are playing with anything close to equal talent around them. Im no TT apologist, and I said coming into the season there are things he still needs to improve to be a long term solution, but there is no denying he is working with the worst group of weapons to throw to in the NFL while Watson is working with a top 3 unit.

I know exactly what you said in your statement. I didn't miss anything. You brought up the point that the Bills did well in their draft. You extolled the wisdom of getting a terrific corner but it was at the expense of getting a franchise qb. That isn't smart---it's actually very dumb.

I'm very well aware that the Bills are not going to rebuild this franchise in one year. Who more than I have stated that the Bills are in the midst of a rebuilding process? But the most important task in that is procuring a endeavor is procuring a franchise qb. In my opinion (maybe not in yours) we could have accomplished that excruciatingly difficult task last year by using our first round pick and then have more drafting options with our added picks.

What you and so many misguided others are recommending is a recipe of failure that has not worked for this bedraggled franchise i.e. put off the qb issue and wait for a better situation that rarely comes. This strategy of built in futility has gotten old. If you don't believe me then look at the pathetic record of non-playoff games over the past generation.

What bothers me about you and others is that you work yourselves into exhaustion explaining why successful qbs that we pass over were not viable options after they have become viable options for the teams they are playing for. You and so many of your excuse-making cohorts enthusiastically detail the warts on successful players that we have passed over while being casual to the point of being dismissive about the fact that the Bills haven't had a franchise qb taking the snaps for a quarter century. Being patient is one thing but you and your acolytes are taking it to an absurd level.

I'm not looking for the perfect prospect. I'm looking for the next HOF qb. I'm not looking for the best of the best. I'm not standing squarely for only the best option or nothing. That is a mentality that has suffocated this gagging franchise. What I want is to sooner, rather than later draft a legitimate franchise qb that will in time give this befuddled franchise an opportunity to seriously compete. And let me add with supreme confidence that I know that Taylor is not the answer. Bridge qbs are bridge qb who buy you time to be somewhat respectable until you find a better option at qb.

Alpha was wrong about this qb draft class and won't let it go.

17 Td's already for Watson = L

Give GunnerBill his props. He was all over Watson.

I was wrong? LMAO...first, you DONT even know what my stance was, second, I never made any declarations about the QBs in this class and said they all had potential.

So let me fill you in...My whole stance was that there was not a QB I loved taking at 10 and preferred to target one in the 2nd or later and focus on fixing the D and work on a QB in the 2018 class if netter TT worked out or any other prospect we brought in (which ended up being Peterman who has shown promise).

Hmmmmm...nothing about what I preferred has bene proven wrong. D is massively improved, our first round pick is in contention for DROY, and we are loaded with draft assets to take a QB in 2018 in what looks to be a good draft for the position. Of all the QB's the one I hated the thought of taking at 10 was Mahomes, I hate prospects who need to be rebuilt mechanically to succeed in the NFL early in drafts.

I said all along I loved watching Watson in college, yet was not sold on him at the next level but would 100% support him if we drafted him even though I preferred to fix the D first and go after a QB later in the draft or next year.

The FO went with the plan I preferred all off season and its worked out pretty well on defense with Tre and we got a kid with potential in Peterman while arming ourself to get a top prospect if needed next year. So where was I wrong because I never proclaimed Watson would be a bust, I just said TT was NOT our biggest problem last year and the D was a MASSIVE liability and I wanted to fix that first early in the draft.

That doesn't make GunnerBill wrong for loving Watson, he had his preference and Watson is playing well too like he expected.

I know exactly what you said in your statement. I didn't miss anything. You brought up the point that the Bills did well in their draft. You extolled the wisdom of getting a terrific corner but it was at the expense of getting a franchise qb. That isn't smart---it's actually very dumb.

I'm very well aware that the Bills are not going to rebuild this franchise in one year. Who more than I have stated that the Bills are in the midst of a rebuilding process? But the most important task in that is procuring a endeavor is procuring a franchise qb. In my opinion (maybe not in yours) we could have accomplished that excruciatingly difficult task last year by using our first round pick and then have more drafting options with our added picks.

What you and so many misguided others are recommending is a recipe of failure that has not worked for this bedraggled franchise i.e. put off the qb issue and wait for a better situation that rarely comes. This strategy of built in futility has gotten old. If you don't believe me then look at the pathetic record of non-playoff games over the past generation.

What bothers me about you and others is that you work yourselves into exhaustion explaining why successful qbs that we pass over were not viable options after they have become viable options for the teams they are playing for. You and so many of your excuse-making cohorts enthusiastically detail the warts on successful players that we have passed over while being casual to the point of being dismissive about the fact that the Bills haven't had a franchise qb taking the snaps for a quarter century. Being patient is one thing but you and your acolytes are taking it to an absurd level.

I'm not looking for the perfect prospect. I'm looking for the next HOF qb. I'm not looking for the best of the best. I'm not standing squarely for only the best option or nothing. That is a mentality that has suffocated this gagging franchise. What I want is to sooner, rather than later draft a legitimate franchise qb that will in time give this befuddled franchise an opportunity to seriously compete. And let me add with supreme confidence that I know that Taylor is not the answer. Bridge qbs are bridge qb who buy you time to be somewhat respectable until you find a better option at qb.

The Bills did not pass on a franchise QB as NONE of the rookies have proven to be a franchise QB yet, and on draft night NOT ONE had ever stepped on an NFL field even once. So this notion that we chose a corner over a franchise QB is just a completely false statement that comes from the benefit of hindsight.

On draft night, every single QB in this draft had questions marks, with Trubisky being the most commonly listed top QB. All 3 teams at the top of the draft desperately needed a QB and NONE considered Watson for the pick. The top 2 teams didn't even consider Trubisky worthy of the top 2 picks.

At the end of the day, ON DRAFT NIGHT, teams made their decisions based on what they knew about the QB's and clearly the Bills did not feel confident enough in the QB's available to forego a chance to add more picks and try to improve the D and WR group while loading up for next years draft for a potential QB.

And so far, I think the Bills did pretty good because the D has vastly improved and thats pretty important while positioning ourselves to get a QB next year...just ask Drew Bree's how important a defense is. Our Defense was miles worse than our offense last year, so not a shock the team felt it was a bigger priority in a draft year where the consensus was heavily divided on the top 5 QBs in the draft.

I was wrong? LMAO...first, you DONT even know what my stance was, second, I never made any declarations about the QBs in this class and said they all had potential.

So let me fill you in...My whole stance was that there was not a QB I loved taking at 10 and preferred to target one in the 2nd or later and focus on fixing the D and work on a QB in the 2018 class if netter TT worked out or any other prospect we brought in (which ended up being Peterman who has shown promise).

Hmmmmm...nothing about what I preferred has bene proven wrong. D is massively improved, our first round pick is in contention for DROY, and we are loaded with draft assets to take a QB in 2018 in what looks to be a good draft for the position. Of all the QB's the one I hated the thought of taking at 10 was Mahomes, I hate prospects who need to be rebuilt mechanically to succeed in the NFL early in drafts.

I said all along I loved watching Watson in college, yet was not sold on him at the next level but would 100% support him if we drafted him even though I preferred to fix the D first and go after a QB later in the draft or next year.

The FO went with the plan I preferred all off season and its worked out pretty well on defense with Tre and we got a kid with potential in Peterman while arming ourself to get a top prospect if needed next year. So where was I wrong because I never proclaimed Watson would be a bust, I just said TT was NOT our biggest problem last year and the D was a MASSIVE liability and I wanted to fix that first early in the draft.

That doesn't make GunnerBill wrong for loving Watson, he had his preference and Watson is playing well too like he expected.

With respect to the highlighted segments in what way has Peterman demonstrated potential and promise? I'm not arguing one way or the other. It's just that I haven't heard any reports indicating that he is doing well or not.

In my view Peterman represents the failed approach that this organization has too often taken towards qbs. Instead of taking an improbable fling at getting a good qb in a lower round why not invest in a more highly rated prospect? Again, I'm not saying you are wrong just wondering what it is based on?

The Bills did not pass on a franchise QB as NONE of the rookies have proven to be a franchise QB yet, and on draft night NOT ONE had ever stepped on an NFL field even once. So this notion that we chose a corner over a franchise QB is just a completely false statement that comes from the benefit of hindsight.

Your response is somewhat odd. No college qb has played in the pros until after he has been selected and played. So what is your point? Saying you don't know how a prospect will play before he has played in a pro game is stating the obvious.

On draft night, every single QB in this draft had questions marks, with Trubisky being the most commonly listed top QB. All 3 teams at the top of the draft desperately needed a QB and NONE considered Watson for the pick. The top 2 teams didn't even consider Trubisky worthy of the top 2 picks.

Of course almost all qb prospects have question marks. If you are waiting for the perfect prospect you will be waiting for perpetuity. So what if Watson wasn't taken at the very top of the draft? What's your point? He was available when our turn came up in the first round. Need you be reminded that he is playing well in his rookie year? Arguing that passing on a rookie qb who is playing well in his rookie year was the right approach to take is not a very strong and convincing argument for a fan of a team that hasn't had a franchise qb in a quarter century.

At the end of the day, ON DRAFT NIGHT, teams made their decisions based on what they knew about the QB's and clearly the Bills did not feel confident enough in the QB's available to forego a chance to add more picks and try to improve the D and WR group while loading up for next years draft for a potential QB.

The bottom line is Houston has their franchise qb while the Bills are still in their multi-generation search.

And so far, I think the Bills did pretty good because the D has vastly improved and thats pretty important while positioning ourselves to get a QB next year...just ask Drew Bree's how important a defense is. Our Defense was miles worse than our offense last year, so not a shock the team felt it was a bigger priority in a draft year where the consensus was heavily divided on the top 5 QBs in the draft.

I agree that the Bills upgraded their defense. Much of it had to do through free agency with the addition of the two safeties and better coaching. Whereas you are happy that the Bills selected a good CB (who I like) I would have preferred selecting either Mahomes or Watson with our first round pick. When a losing and boring franchise hasn't had a franchise qb taking the snaps for a quarter century arguing to wait another year with the inevitable question marks on the next class is not an argument that I find very appealing.

With respect to the highlighted segments in what way has Peterman demonstrated potential and promise? I'm not arguing one way or the other. It's just that I haven't heard any reports indicating that he is doing well or not.

In my view Peterman represents the failed approach that this organization has too often taken towards qbs. Instead of taking an improbable fling at getting a good qb in a lower round why not invest in a more highly rated prospect? Again, I'm not saying you are wrong just wondering what it is based on?

They have said multiple times they like the kid, and he showed some promise in preseason...hes far from ready, don't get me wrong, just meant the kid has some potential, even as a potential backup.

Your response is somewhat odd. No college qb has played in the pros until after he has been selected and played. So what is your point? Saying you don't know how a prospect will play before he has played in a pro game is stating the obvious.

Yes, that is the point. Its a complete false statement to say we chose a DB over a "franchise" QB on draft night, something many people keep falsely saying. No one knew what any of the prospects would be, so it doesn't work that way to say we chose a CB over a "franchise" QB. We chose to DRAFT help for our defense over a prospect at QB, that is the ONLY truth on draft night.

Of course almost all qb prospects have question marks. If you are waiting for the perfect prospect you will be waiting for perpetuity. So what if Watson wasn't taken at the very top of the draft? What's your point? He was available when our turn came up in the first round. Need you be reminded that he is playing well in his rookie year? Arguing that passing on a rookie qb who is playing well in his rookie year was the right approach to take is not a very strong and convincing argument for a fan of a team that hasn't had a franchise qb in a quarter century.

The point is, there were significant question marks with Watson going into the draft about his ability at the next level. The Bills were NOT desperate offensively given they were a top 6 scoring team under TT in 2016 and 3rd to ONLY Atl and NO in TD's scored. However, we were DESPERATE on D, which was one of the worst performing units in the NFL last year. If you take the anomaly game abasing the Pats out where they had no Brady, Jimmy, or even Gronk, the Bills were 26th in the NFL in points allowed in the other 15 games giving up an average of over 25 points per game. So Bills had OPTIONS going into a draft class where the QB's had a higher level of risk, and they chose to work on the D, get another young WR and add picks to go after a QB in 2018 and put that rookie on a BETTER overall team. A path that so far is working quite well in our favor as far as the D goes and adding even more picks after the draft.

The bottom line is Houston has their franchise qb while the Bills are still in their multi-generation search.

WRONG. Houston has a PROMISING QB, anyone declaring him a franchise QB after a handful of games is just being ridiculous. First of all, if you watch the games and not the stat sheet you will see a lot of questionable throws where his WR's have totally bailed him out of poor throws. Second, the list is a mile long of young QB's who started with promise and then fizzled. Personally, I like the kid and think he's going in the right direction, but its completely foolish to declare him a "Franchise" QB this early in his career. Let the kid play a while and grow and see what he's really made of before making any determination on him.

I agree that the Bills upgraded their defense. Much of it had to do through free agency with the addition of the two safeties and better coaching. Whereas you are happy that the Bills selected a good CB (who I like) I would have preferred selecting either Mahomes or Watson with our first round pick. When a losing and boring franchise hasn't had a franchise qb taking the snaps for a quarter century arguing to wait another year with the inevitable question marks on the next class is not an argument that I find very appealing.

Why on Earth is this even an issue for you? You can NOT build a whole franchise in one season. The Bills vastly improved their D under this regime, and added an armory of draft assets to get the QB you desperately desire that very well could be way better than Watson in the first place. Why is it NOT possible in your mind to see that we can do BOTH...improve the D and get a coveted QB? Who cares which happened first because BOTH had to happen, and Bills went safer and added picks and got a DB they coveted who is straight balling right now and we are 3-2 and one dropped catch away from 4-1 in a season most swore we wouldn't win 3 games all year.

Just because they didn't do it YOUR way doesn't mean they are doing it the WRONG way. You people NEED to STOP hanging 17 years on a regime whose barely been here more than 17 weeks.

If Tyrod opened the year with 17 TD's in 6 games, certain posters on this board would have already crowned him.

Silly.

If any QB started with 17 TDs in 6 games playing with these scrub WRs and a struggling run game then they should be crowned.

Yes, that is the point. Its a complete false statement to say we chose a DB over a "franchise" QB on draft night, something many people keep falsely saying. No one knew what any of the prospects would be, so it doesn't work that way to say we chose a CB over a "franchise" QB. We chose to DRAFT help for our defense over a prospect at QB, that is the ONLY truth on draft night.

The point is, there were significant question marks with Watson going into the draft about his ability at the next level. The Bills were NOT desperate offensively given they were a top 6 scoring team under TT in 2016 and 3rd to ONLY Atl and NO in TD's scored. However, we were DESPERATE on D, which was one of the worst performing units in the NFL last year. If you take the anomaly game abasing the Pats out where they had no Brady, Jimmy, or even Gronk, the Bills were 26th in the NFL in points allowed in the other 15 games giving up an average of over 25 points per game. So Bills had OPTIONS going into a draft class where the QB's had a higher level of risk, and they chose to work on the D, get another young WR and add picks to go after a QB in 2018 and put that rookie on a BETTER overall team. A path that so far is working quite well in our favor as far as the D goes and adding even more picks after the draft.

WRONG. Houston has a PROMISING QB, anyone declaring him a franchise QB after a handful of games is just being ridiculous. First of all, if you watch the games and not the stat sheet you will see a lot of questionable throws where his WR's have totally bailed him out of poor throws. Second, the list is a mile long of young QB's who started with promise and then fizzled. Personally, I like the kid and think he's going in the right direction, but its completely foolish to declare him a "Franchise" QB this early in his career. Let the kid play a while and grow and see what he's really made of before making any determination on him.

Why on Earth is this even an issue for you? You can NOT build a whole franchise in one season. The Bills vastly improved their D under this regime, and added an armory of draft assets to get the QB you desperately desire that very well could be way better than Watson in the first place. Why is it NOT possible in your mind to see that we can do BOTH...improve the D and get a coveted QB? Who cares which happened first because BOTH had to happen, and Bills went safer and added picks and got a DB they coveted who is straight balling right now and we are 3-2 and one dropped catch away from 4-1 in a season most swore we wouldn't win 3 games all year.

Just because they didn't do it YOUR way doesn't mean they are doing it the WRONG way. You people NEED to STOP hanging 17 years on a regime whose barely been here more than 17 weeks.

I really is amazing to me that we come out of a draft with a additional 1st round pick AND a possible D player of the year and someone would find a way to complain about it......

but.....it has happened

I really is amazing to me that we come out of a draft with a additional 1st round pick AND a possible D player of the year and someone would find a way to complain about it......

but.....it has happened

"Find a way to complain about it" - dude, it's a LEGITIMATE GRIPE that this team hasn't found a franchise quarterback (the most important position in sports) in two freakin' decades, and they've BARELY TRIED.

but.....it has happened

LOL

This is the story of 17 years. "Stop complaining, we got a good zone CB, truly we are Super Bowl bound."

Edited by jmc12290