Derek Carr - Emotional? Or a Jerk?

Gugny

Every time I have seen Carr speak, I thought he seemed like a dick. And when he's touted his faith, which he does often, he's sounded like a dick about that, too. I have no problem with people having, and expressing their faith. But when someone suggests that Jesus Christ prefers their team because of their own righteousness, as they are guided by the Holy Spirit (yes, Carr speaks in such terms), then they are claiming religious superiority.

And, yeah, I think that's pretty obnoxious. So, I'll go with "emotional jerk."

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20887809/oakland-raiders-quarterback-derek-carr-leaves-game-lower-back-injury

Some comments he made really took me aback.

"I think he just got roughed up there," Del Rio said. "He got tackled, and something caused his back to spasm up. I didn't see much that would indicate that he would be injured, but his back spasmed up, so that's what it was."

Told that Del Rio said it was a spasm, Carr said, "I'm glad he knows. That's awesome."

"It won't be fun," Carr said of the flight back to Oakland. "But at the end of the day, no one really cares. I'll do my best to get comfortable, but as soon as I see my two baby boys, it will feel a little bit better."

I don't know boo about the guy, but he comes off as a dick, to me.

My back hurts every single day and it makes you cranky sometimes. Sciatica sucks.

I can't believe I am replying to such a stupid asinine thread but I fractured a transverse process in my back when I was 17 inner tubing down the Chestnut Ridge toboggan hill. I walked back up the hill, went into the lodge, went into shock and left in an ambulance. Spent the next 2 or 3 weeks flat on my back on the living room floor. Not a fun injury. The only jerks in this story imo, are Del Rio playing doctor and the OP.

Humber goes back in with a broken hand. Ronnie Lott cuts his friggin finger off and goes back in. Bledsoe (Pats) has his elbow stapled shut on the bench and goes back in. But this guy can't go back in, in a must win game, for his team.

It's generational. I see it at work all the time.

Youre absolutely ridiculous. My wife had a transverse process fracture and the pain was completely debilitating for a few weeks.

I can't believe I am replying to such a stupid asinine thread but I fractured a transverse process in my back when I was 17 inner tubing down the Chestnut Ridge toboggan hill. I walked back up the hill, went into the lodge, went into shock and left in an ambulance. Spent the next 2 or 3 weeks flat on my back on the living room floor. Not a fun injury. The only jerks in this story imo, are Del Rio playing doctor and the OP.

100% agree man. I just went through this with my wife this year. Shes FINALLY feeling better 4 months later. Granted Carr has world class doctors and trainers massaging his nuts 24/7 so it wont take him 4 months to get back to 100% pain free. But he'll be feeling this for weeks. Oakand will be shooting him up with drugs in the affected area for the rest of the season if i had to bet. His play is 100% going to be affected for a while.

The issue with this injury is that ligaments connect to the transverse process. So when the process fractures, the ligaments in your back get affected. So you have the acute pain from the fracture itself plus the pain from your ligaments that attach to the process. Not to mention that if the process that was fractured is low enough it can also affect nerves going down leg.

In short, everyone is different. A lot has to do with which vertebrae the process was fractured on. The lower it is the worse it can potentially be.

It can be debilitating gug. Dont be a tool please.

Edited by bobobonators

@VicTafur

Del Rio says Carr has a fracture, out 2-6 weeks

"I'm glad he knows. That's awesome."

Can we make a board for real posts, and form another for troll posts?

That got ruined when BB.com forums went down.

To criticize Carr's actions seems foolish. Sure - maybe he has everyone fooled, but he certainly has them well fooled then with his down to earth and helpful demeanor.

To criticize EJ's game on Sunday - wow. Backup gets multiple passes including TD passes that even the announcers were impressed with dropped. And then the fans that crucified QBs like Trent Edwards for not giving receivers a chance are slamming EJ for giving a premiere NFL receiver a chance to make a play. I suppose because he was double covered it was risky, but who know what other options he had besides giving up? And the pass was *right there* for Cooper to get.

My Mom had a fractured vertebrae. She went to the grocery store every day. Shes 79 yrs old and the doctor said she should just keep moving if she can tolerate it...its the best thing for a person with that kind of injury. I guess its a pain tolerance issue.

Keep moving is one thing. Use your back ligaments that attach to it to make sudden cuts (if it's low) throw (if it's high) and then have 250 lb bruisers throw you around and land on top of you - that's a different sort of pain to tolerate than walking into the grocery store, putting a box of cookies in the cart, and walking out, don't you think?

Same guy who took millions less in order to ensure his teammates were taken care of....ugh. I love internet tough guys telling us what they would do if they played qb in the NFL and had serious injuries, like cracked vertebrae. Their argument undoubtedly involves salary and character.

Edited by N.Y. Orangeman

Every time I have seen Carr speak, I thought he seemed like a dick. And when he's touted his faith, which he does often, he's sounded like a dick about that, too. I have no problem with people having, and expressing their faith. But when someone suggests that Jesus Christ prefers their team because of their own righteousness, as they are guided by the Holy Spirit (yes, Carr speaks in such terms), then they are claiming religious superiority.

And, yeah, I think that's pretty obnoxious. So, I'll go with "emotional jerk."

I usually mute the TV, put on a Green Day song, and hope some of the lyrics sync up with his mouth movements.

Keep moving is one thing. Use your back ligaments that attach to it to make sudden cuts (if it's low) throw (if it's high) and then have 250 lb bruisers throw you around and land on top of you - that's a different sort of pain to tolerate than walking into the grocery store, putting a box of cookies in the cart, and walking out, don't you think?

You calling my mom a liar? She had to lift two cases of water into the cart, three bunches of beets, pound of butter, a rump roast, dried apricots for dad and four cans of Progresso lentil soup. Thats a lot of bending and lifting.

You calling my mom a liar? She had to lift two cases of water into the cart, three bunches of beets, pound of butter, a rump roast, dried apricots for dad and four cans of Progresso lentil soup. Thats a lot of bending and lifting.

How big were the beets though? I mean, come on man....

Dried Apricots? 50lb bag?

:lol::lol:

How big were the beets though? I mean, come on man....

Dried Apricots? 50lb bag?

You too huh? Have you ever tried to unload cases of water into the back seat of a Dodge Caravan and still leave room for the beets, butter, soup and apricots? Theres a lot of jockying stuff around, bending torso, arms, etc. not to mention returning the cart to the cart hut and driving home. Id say Derrick Carr could learn a thing or two from my mom and her broken vertebrae.

You too huh? Have you ever tried to unload cases of water into the back seat of a Dodge Caravan and still leave room for the beets, butter, soup and apricots? Theres a lot of jockying stuff around, bending torso, arms, etc. not to mention returning the cart to the cart hut and driving home. Id say Derrick Carr could learn a thing or two from my mom and her broken vertebrae.

Fergy's mom:

73-Year-Old-Bodybuilder-Grandma-Breaks-A

Bet she could throw a fastball with those beets!

Edited by PolishDave

I look forward to seeing your mom put on those pads and the helmet and getting out on the field for some tackle football then.

Well all righty then. I'll revise my post.

Keep moving is one thing. Use your back ligaments that attach to it to make sudden cuts (if it's low) throw (if it's high) and then have 250 lb bruisers throw you around and land on top of you - that's a different sort of pain to tolerate than walking into the grocery store, putting two cases of water, 3 bunches of eets, a rump roast, a bag of dried apricots, and 4 cans of Progresso lentil soup in the cart, and walking out, don't you think?

I look forward to seeing your mom put on those pads and the helmet and getting out on the field for some tackle football then.

Well all righty then. I'll revise my post.

Keep moving is one thing. Use your back ligaments that attach to it to make sudden cuts (if it's low) throw (if it's high) and then have 250 lb bruisers throw you around and land on top of you - that's a different sort of pain to tolerate than walking into the grocery store, putting two cases of water, 3 bunches of eets, a rump roast, a bag of dried apricots, and 4 cans of Progresso lentil soup in the cart, and walking out, don't you think?

If that was some kinda slam against my Dad being 250 lbs you're dead wrong. He's 205. Do you even understand how many times your back ligaments are used when vacuuming a medium sized ranch house? That's back and forth, back and forth about 390 times in a one hour span. I'd say Derrick Carr should be able to move his arm 390 times in an hour but I think his departure from the game answers that question.