ROLL TIDE!!

Canadian Bills Fan

59 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Nah, Clemson played the Citadel back in 2020.

They have also played UConn and Furman in recent memory.

And look, Clemson does have that power house Charleston Southern on their 2023 schedule.

Charleston Southern certainly can’t hold a candle to Chattanooga, but I digress.  Why bother discussing any non SEC team?  Why are they even allowed to exist? They’re as useless as cornerbacks.  Until all teams are absorbed into the SEC and eventually into the mother ship itself, college football will remain needlessly asymmetrical and subject to the laws of space and time.  But don’t worry, the singularity is inevitable.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

He has some success against SEC teams, so he may not care.

He does. Part of the reason for this is that his team is fresh and rested after playing the patsies in the ACC. He puts everybody in the game and rests his starters when they are way ahead. I am not saying that he is a bad coach; he isn't. I do however think that it is to his advantage to stay where he is and beat up on all of the weak teams.

Of course, jmo.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I do however think that it is to his advantage to stay where he is and beat up on all of the weak teams.

I also think that is an advantage he has.

However, I don't think he would pull a Riley and bolt for another team at the first whiff of Clemson joining the SEC.

At a press conference last year, Dabo was asked his opinion regarding Clemson fans wanting to join the SEC.

Essentially he stated that players come to Clemson because of Clemson and what it can offer.

Not what conference they do or do not play in.

I think there is a lot of truth in that.

As long he can keep Clemson in the talks of a NC every year, Clemson will attract players.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

He does. Part of the reason for this is that his team is fresh and rested after playing the patsies in the ACC. He puts everybody in the game and rests his starters when they are way ahead. I am not saying that he is a bad coach; he isn't. I do however think that it is to his advantage to stay where he is and beat up on all of the weak teams.

Of course, jmo.

Minor details in the overall scheme.  Honestly, why should any other school be allowed to have a team when they are all hopelessly doomed to an infinity of inferiority?  It’s a joke, but I guess it must be allowed to play out until they are all extinguished by the singularity.

27 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Minor details in the overall scheme.  Honestly, why should any other school be allowed to have a team when they are all hopelessly doomed to an infinity of inferiority?  It’s a joke, but I guess it must be allowed to play out until they are all extinguished by the singularity.

I really do hope that you get yourself together and feel better.

Thank you SDS for the ignore list. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Kiffin on Finebaums view of Saban's legacy:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/lane-kiffin-takes-shot-at-paul-finebaum-for-commenting-on-nick-sabans-dynasty/

“It’s why we have Finebaum to motivate him every other year and say ‘Oh his dynasty is over,’ and this is the end of Saban and then we’re like, ‘Hey thanks a lot for pissing him off,' Kiffin said."

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Cynical said:

A Matt Wyatt breakdown of Jalen Milroe's performance this past Saturday

https://youtu.be/cMguPKRTr68?si=quMHrz2fNllJIn9w

Good video. On offense, Bama is exceptionally deep at RB and TE. This kid Niblack looks amazing and they have at least 3 other good ones. That freshman RB Haynes needs more playing time but they have at least 5 good ones. The OL is better than last year. The receivers seem to have improved. Check out Kobe prentice. Milroe was impressive but he will face many good teams. I think that he can do it but if he cannot, I do like Ty Simpson. 

On defense, this might actually be the best set of LBs in the history of the team, this after losing Will Anderson! The secondary is talented and deep. If the DL can provide some amount of pressure, teams will have trouble scoring. Steele (unlike Golding) loves the attack style defense and these lbs (led by Dallas Turner) are amazing.

Texas will be a tough test. They are talented and I am a big fan of Sark. I hope we can shut down his complicated offense.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This Bama team shouldn’t be in the top 10.  D simply cannot tackle.  QB is a mess.  

Making Ewers look like Joe Burrow out there.

Agree. You know it's bad when halfway through the game I look down at my 'Bama notes and I've got "Kicker might be draftable."

I do think Ewers is good though. Had he not got hurt the Longhorns win the game last year. The reality for Alabama is that there was a period 5-10 years ago where they just out talented everyone. The gap has closed. I don't think they have the studs they did. I don't know what that is, whether it is NIL or whether it is just that other programmes have caught up to what 'Bama was doing recruiting wise and are recruiting much more nationally... but first it was Clemson, then it was Georgia, now Texas. I think we are seeing the end of the dynasty. Got to ask how much longer Saban sticks with it.

Edited by GunnerBill

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. You know it's bad when halfway through the game I look down at my 'Bama notes and I've got "Kicker might be draftable."

I do think Ewers is good though. Had he not got hurt the Longhorns win the game last year. The reality for Alabama is that there was a period 5-10 years ago where they just out talented everyone. The gap has closed. I don't think they have the studs they did. I don't know what that is, whether it is NIL or whether it is just that other programmes have caught up to what 'Bama was doing recruiting wise and are recruiting much more nationally... but first it was Clemson, then it was Georgia, now Texas. I think we are seeing the end of the dynasty. Got to ask how much longer Saban sticks with it.

Agreed.

They out-talented everyone on Defense--it hardly mattered who their QB was. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It’s NIL coupled with the transfer portal. You can’t stash talent on the bench for two years. Kids will transfer for a chance to shine and therefore a chance to get paid both in the NFL and immediately.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Last year when the tide barely escaped Austin , I said the change was coming 

College teams can only be on top so long , and UT has money and momentum

Not to mention a historic brand and top notch facilities... Alabama was supposed to welcome them to the SEC.. 

Turns out UT walked into Alabamas house and laid down some ground rules for the future 

That won't be the last game they lose if they don't find a QB who is ready to play at this level pdq.

Although I am curious how he'd look if he didn't have to start his read process by looking down to pick up a bad snap 20x a game. :blink:

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Simon said:

That won't be the last game they lose if they don't find a QB who is ready to play at this level pdq.

Although I am curious how he'd look if he didn't have to start his read process by looking down to pick up a bad snap 20x a game. :blink:

Saban obviously is the GOAT but I cannot understand why he started this kid at QB. He has no composure, accuracy, field presence, nor the ability to make good decisions. He has not changed from last season. Teams can stack the lines and dare him to throw his inaccurate passes.

Milroe is a great runner, and I do mean great. The thing is, he often decides to run when it is too late. The center is usually pretty good. On Bama boards, folks are saying he was sick but who knows?

The sad truth is that The Tiide were beaten and out coached. I never thought that I would live to see Saban out coached in a college game.

I think that they certainly have enough talent to bounce back, but not with Milroe at QB.

On 9/10/2023 at 2:58 AM, GunnerBill said:

Let us all know when you are ready to retract the above premature post, and or change your opinion. 

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Let us all know when you are ready to retract the above premature post, and or change your opinion. 

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't watch any college football last night, I was out at an event. But they were a mess against Texas. And I mean a mess. They just didn't look to me as talented as we are used to. 

They will finish the year as a top 10 team but I honestly don't know if I'd pick this 'Bama team straight up to beat any of the teams ranked in the top 8 going into this weekend.

I said this at the end of last season and I still think it... Saban needs to go back to his roots and just build two dominant lines. That is how Georgia have overtaken you. They are better up front. I think 'Bama got drawn into chasing the Clemson model who for a few years were a skill position led team and in the meantime Kirby is doing what Saban used to do.

Edited by GunnerBill

They still need work but the biggest improvement was on both lines. Milroe got sacked a few times and it seemed to me that he was holding the ball too long. He need to improve quite a bit imo, if possible. The OL was opening up holes for their rbs and protection was better.

OLB Dallas Turner sort of took over the game towards the end with sacks and pressures. The DL was finally pushing the pocket. Their safeties (Downs and Moore) are probably the best tandem in college. The secondary is fine. Their RB room is talented and deep, and the wr room is improving.

The problem they have is at QB. If Milroe shows major improvement they will give anybody trouble but again, I don't know how likely this is.

Your point about the "Clemson model" was well taken.

• 4 weeks later...

The Tide was two different teams in the first and second half. I actually thought that Saban might pull Milroe at halftime. 

In the second half the defense really took over. The DL is MUCH better than last season. The secondary is deep and talented. The linebackers are spectacular, and I am not saying this because I am a fan. They lost Will Anderson and are not only a little better than last season, they are MUCH better and MUCH deeper,  and all of them make plays. Is some of this due to getting rid of Golding and hiring Steele as DC? Absolutely, but; they have AT LEAST 6 LBs that are going to be in the NFL. I am serious.

I remember a comment (by a good poster here that I will not name) after the Texas debacle that stated that the only players worth looking at for the draft were the place kicker and the punter. Nonsense. This team is STACKED with talented players on both sides, to include the top RT in college football (JC Latham) imo. The problem with this team is at QB. If Hurts, Tua, Mac, or Bryce was playing QB this would probably not lose a game to anybody. Replacing Kiffen and Sarkisian at OC is impossible, and the jury is still out on Rees. 

Anyway, for those who enjoy college football and defense, do check out the Crimson Tide in the second half if the SEC Channel shows a rerun.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• 2 weeks later...

Despite giving up 28 points, the Alabama defense is freaking great. LSU has a fine offense and their QB borders on sensational. The HUGE offensive line looks like it may have come around as well. The LSU defense was gassed by the 4th quarter. You could plainly see this.

The best news of the game was that they finally allowed Milroe to run. He is an average passer with a very good deep arm but he is a GREAT runner and he needs to utilize this running ability to open up the pass. When the game slows down for him and he makes faster decisions, he will be VERY hard to stop.

If Saban can keep this team moving in the right direction, we just might face Georgia in the SEC Title Game.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.