Who's this EJ Gaines Guy?

reginald

And play man on man.

White was touted as being a great fit in McD's zone scheme. But what's been really noticeable thee games in is that he's scheme-agnostic and can play any way they need. That's a BIG positive for such a tough position...

I think long term White is certainly more scheme versatile than Gaines... Gaines for me is a pure zone corner.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaines has looked really good so far. Through 3 games I think he looks like the best player in the secondary. At the time of the trade I got the feeling that Gaines was going to be a one year rental, but I hope they sign him long-term. The sooner the better.

"In large part"?

Uh, no.

One player out of the starting 11 plus the half-dozen other regular sub-package guys is not "in large part".

Gaines has played well...I'm quite happy about that.

teams that have TWO shutdown corners are in the driver's seat in most games. We do. we didn't have two prior to the trade.

I'm sure there are a lot of whiny Sammy lovers that don't know who he is either.

I'm pretty sure we ( Bills fans ) all know who EJ Gaines is , I will get more excited about him when the rest of the NFL will know who he is !!!

Re the secondary, Interesting tidbit from the broadcast today about TWhite. Mentioned that pre-draft McDermott called White's coach to find out more about him, and the coach told McD he should take him. I assume McD pushed Whaley on the plan to trade back once he was sold on White.

Re the secondary, Interesting tidbit from the broadcast today about TWhite. Mentioned that pre-draft McDermott called White's coach to find out more about him, and the coach told McD he should take him. I assume McD pushed Whaley on the plan to trade back once he was sold on White.

I have no inside information or any knowledge of what transpired on draft day, but if I were a betting man I would venture to guess that McD made the choice and a great choice it was.

Leonard Johnson has played very well. Gaines barely beat out Shareece Wright. I have been thrilled with Gaines but it's not true to say a large part is because of the trade.

That's only because he arrived so late to the team.

I have no inside information or any knowledge of what transpired on draft day, but if I were a betting man I would venture to guess that McD made the choice and a great choice it was.

Yes it was, and to also get KC's first in 2018. It doesn't bother me much that it might be 30th, what I like is they have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, and ammo to move up for a 5th if they desire. I could see them drafting 5 players in the top 50 next year.

Whole secondary is playing great! Every CB south of Revis in his prime will miss a few and the good ones make the most of opportunities they are given. So far, I am impressed! Sammy is and was an injury prone stellar WO who was never worth 2 ones and a four when measured against the other WRs available in the draft class. Playing with a bottom half QB and being a FA in the making. GREAT trade when one considers the need to manage resources and stay unemotionally attached to players.

Seems like me this year's top priority was to fix the defence, and so far so good. Gaines has been great so far

That was definitely part of the plan (along with upgrading the K). But I think they could have swung a trade for Gaines without trading Sammy (and obviously they wouldn't have gotten a 2nd rounder), for a 5th rounder. But they wanted to get something for Sammy because they determined they weren't re-signing him.