Bills Kicker speaks about inequality

MAJBobby

Where's diversity and equality in the NBA? Caucasian discrimination. Token white players on NBA teams need to protest.

Again....Based ENTIRELY on ability as it should be. Race is completely irrelevant, as it should be. Teams just want to win. Come on....

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, racism still exists. The idea that someone is better/inferior based on the color of their skin is ignorant, disgusting and just plain wrong.

Every person is made in the image of God, and has equal value as a human being.

With that said... What this country needs is an HONEST discussion about race relations. Top to bottom. No holds barred. Not this "politically correct" crap we always get. We need a discussion that based on facts and reality, not emotion, fear and preconceptions. We need a discussion that seeks to actually STOP racism, instead of just flipping it around as some kind of retribution. We need answers that will bring us together, instead of segregating us further.

As someone that lives in St. Louis (and fears taking his family downtown because of constant riots and protesting), I'm simply tired of generic and ambiguous comments like this. Be specific. If there is racial inequality in the criminal justice system, then prove it and let's fight it together. I'm tired of every problem being blamed on "white privilege" and "systemic racism" or some other nonsensical term. If a heroin dealer ends up in a high-speed chase with the police, he's putting himself in the position to be killed by law enforcement. End of story. It's not racial inequality. It's a criminal who is asking for it.

Well said

What do you expect from a liberal from Seattle? Inequality exists, NFL players make more than McDonald's employees. Shut up and play football or we will turn off the damn channel. We want gridiron warriors not social justice warriors.

Concussions aside, of the NFL stands the test of time, it won't be because of viewers with mindsets like yours. It will be your kids and grandkids. As a business, and a longstanding one, it's important to be ahead of the market.

This may be a "prevelant" view of your generation, but it is. It the prevailing thought of those younger than you. Buckle up, the world is about to throw you for a loop as you age.

Racism primarily exists because we talk about it. Are there people pulled over unfairly? Sure I have and I am not black. I lived in a huge black and hispanic community south of DC during my high school years and certain people were hassled more than others and it had nothing to do with race. Certain people were thugs (any race) and acted like it and were treated like it.

Racism primarily exists because we talk about it. Are there people pulled over unfairly? Sure I have and I am not black. I lived in a huge black and hispanic community south of DC during my high school years and certain people were hassled more than others and it had nothing to do with race. Certain people were thugs (any race) and acted like it and were treated like it.

You are not black... therefore the inherent fear you cannot relate to.

Or the increased support of white nationalists and corrupt cops from the highest offices in our Nation?

Your funny..........................................

Slavery ended in the 1860s, segregation in the 1960's. Grow up.

What inherent fear do you refer too? My best friend growing up was black and while I understand I was not him, we did everything together. Your charge that I don't understand because I am not black is a bit of an assumption based on my race.

What inherent fear do you refer too? My best friend growing up was black and while I understand I was not him, we did everything together. Your charge that I don't understand because I am not black is a bit of an assumption based on my race.

You are not black.

There has been a definitive problem with racial profiling and police stops when it comes to African-Americans.

Simple... no matter how much you THINK you understand, these two undisputed facts (i.e. NOT assumptions) must mean you do not fully understand.

Give one example of inequality, just one. One does not affected every race, creed and people. Seriously grow some balls and man up. Protesting is for children.

Tamir Rice case. How many white 12-year olds get shot by cops for playing with a toy gun? (And then have the cops lie about it for good measure).

I really think some of these players don't understand how often the average person is being bombarded with this talk. If they did perhaps they would find it overkill and would stop pushing away viewers who don't want them using their job as a platform.

It's easy to say something, hold up a fist, kneel, but it's much harder for that to have a positive impact on the majority of people. To do so the players that are deciding to use the platform would need to successfully demonstrate they fully understand ALL the inequalities and discrimination that takes place, not just their own.

I'm not doubting that some of them have good intentions but the way they are going about it isn't going to have positive results. Black/white/red/green they could have much bigger impacts on a local level and use their fame and resources to change the direction of the youth of America. That's what I respect and enjoy hearing about.

Seeing an empty act/comment and not having any insight to how the person perceives/understands the struggle just comes off bad on TV and in the media. Standing out for the sake of standing out.

You are not black.

There has been a definitive problem with racial profiling and police stops when it comes to African-Americans.

Simple... no matter how much you THINK you understand, these two undisputed facts (i.e. NOT assumptions) must mean you do not fully understand.

I'm not going to assume your background but I am fairly educated about racial profiling and how little it happens. The narrative a lot of times gets put forth by media and people run with it before the facts come out. Again how you act is a better indicator of how people profile you than your color based on experience. I have personal dealings that back this up and I am not making this up but you can assume what I do or do not know.

A kicker has the same right to express his opinion as any American. If you don't like it, don't read it. You don't have to agree with it.

I presume those who don't like it also don't like Scott Baio and Ted Nugent using their bully pulpits to express their opinions. Naturally. Because to laud them for speaking out while condemning someone else would make you hypocrites.

Edited by blzrul

I guess this thread may be a microcosm of the issue facing the US. A person makes a seemingly thoughtful comment about a issue that's important to a large number of citizens and while some posts are equally as thoughtful, most are either sarcastic or hateful. It would seem that this issue is a long way from being resolved. I would guess that most here that wrote nasty comments are probably pretty decent people, but for some reason, they have some anger inside them. Sad.

Edited by klos63

You are not black.

No. These aren't facts. These are bits of misrepresented data used to perpetrate a narrative.

New York's "Stop and Frisk", for example, actually under-sampled blacks given criminal complaint and prosecution data.

A kicker has the same right to express his opinion as any American. If you don't like it, don't read it. You don't have to agree with it.

I presume those who don't like it also don't like Scott Baio and Ted Nugent using their bully pulpits to express their opinions. Naturally. Because to laud them for speaking out while condemning someone else would make you hypocrites.

I agree with this. We are a free country and everyone has the right to express themselves

I guess this thread may be a microcosm of the issue facing the US. A person makes a seemingly thoughtful comment about a issue that's important to a large number of citizens and while some posts are equally as thoughtful, most are either sarcastic or hateful. It would seem that this issue is a long way from being resolved. I would guess that most here that wrote nasty comments are probably pretty decent people, but for some reason, they have some anger inside them. Sad.

This is the best post I've seen on this forum regarding this topic. Thank you.

Sure, racism still exists. The idea that someone is better/inferior based on the color of their skin is ignorant, disgusting and just plain wrong.

Every person is made in the image of God, and has equal value as a human being.

With that said... What this country needs is an HONEST discussion about race relations. Top to bottom. No holds barred. Not this "politically correct" crap we always get. We need a discussion that based on facts and reality, not emotion, fear and preconceptions. We need a discussion that seeks to actually STOP racism, instead of just flipping it around as some kind of retribution. We need answers that will bring us together, instead of segregating us further.

As someone that lives in St. Louis (and fears taking his family downtown because of constant riots and protesting), I'm simply tired of generic and ambiguous comments like this. Be specific. If there is racial inequality in the criminal justice system, then prove it and let's fight it together. I'm tired of every problem being blamed on "white privilege" and "systemic racism" or some other nonsensical term. If a heroin dealer ends up in a high-speed chase with the police, he's putting himself in the position to be killed by law enforcement. End of story. It's not racial inequality. It's a criminal who is asking for it.

Another great post. Well-written.

I guess thread may be a microcosm of the issue facing the US. A person makes a seemingly thoughtful comment about a issue that's important to a large number of citizens and while some posts are equally as thoughtful, most are either sarcastic or hateful.

IMO, the Internet is a giant "Bell Curve" amplifier.

Prior to the information age, the 'public dialog' was confined to a relatively small subset of 'experts' and 'thought leaders.' Now, with easy access to a keyboard and too much time on their hands, anyone--no matter how stupid or uninformed--can chime in with their two cents and slag those who have differing POVs.

In other words, a tower of babel...

News flash: The entire black experience goes well beyond your little childhood friend. I played tennis today at a park where out of 2 dozen plus people to pass through today, there was only one other caucassian. I'm a regular there. We take breaks under a shelter for shade, and I hear their life experiences. They don't make this stuff up for me, they're just talking about life. You are ignorant on this subject. (Not a personal attack - look up the definition of ignorant.)

he's a kicker

he has as many rights to do anything as a cheerleader or a card girl at a boxing match.

he's a :censored: kicker! if he's really that upset, he needs to go play soccer!

News flash: The entire black experience goes well beyond your little childhood friend. I played tennis today at a park where out of 2 dozen plus people to pass through today, there was only one other caucassian. I'm a regular there. We take breaks under a shelter for shade, and I hear their life experiences. They don't make this stuff up for me, they're just talking about life. You are ignorant on this subject. (Not a personal attack - look up the definition of ignorant.)

That's what I was trying to convey, given the numerous experiences I have heard in my 20 years in the military.... our diversity is our strength, but with it comes a lot of stories from all over this country, some good, some bad.

That may be the craziest thing I've ever read here! Congrats! It's a pretty high bar.

Based ENTIRELY on ability as it should be. Race is completely irrelevant, as it should be. Teams just want to win. Come on....

Interesting ... are you implying that African Americans are genetically superior to caucasians at playing football? Why does this sound racist a la " Jimmy the Greek" ? Kind of like saying that Asians are inherently good at math. Or whites are superior academically .. all these stereotypes. Could it be that there just are cultural differences between races that funnel young people toward certain pursuits? Because certain things are valued at the home level over others, or peer groups consider different things to be " cool"thus influencing choices that young people make? Until we can admit as a society that these differences in cultural mores exist and acknowledge it without fear of being called " not PC" or even " racist " we will be a lot worse off. Studies done as far back as the 50's and 60's have shown that the greatest predictor of academic success of youth is the quality and values stressed at home by the family. This is still true today and is not inborn to any race, it is learned behavior taught to others. Academic success or lack thereof is the largest predictor of life outcomes for adults, not race. That means it is the source of this " inequality" so in vogue to talk about now. America does not guarantee equality of life outcomes. And no, everyone doesn't start the race from the same lane on the track. It's always been that way.

Edited by Boatdrinks

They're people too, what shouldn't they speak out.....and who should?

I think an NFL football player should have the right to discuss whatever he wants to, just like anyone else.

I, however, have little interest in listening to them speak on matters other than football.

If I want an interesting discussion on race in America in the 21st century, I'm certainly not going to go looking for it from professional athletes.

Anymore than I'm going to ask a Ph.D. in history the best run blocking technique.

Yo you don' know anythin` 'boutgrammar, brudda. grammar do not mean you be smart, it just means you be racist in the hood

I mentioned a female tennis player (who happened to be black) was well spoken. Hey, she was cute and funny and made me laugh after her match! My (black) friend told me "I know this isn't you, but some people would say that's racist". WHAT? Now, I think that's wrong, because I know people of all races can be well or poorly spoken, but he was just sharing where he comes from. (A well spoken college grad professional.)

To be honest, these guys are as out of touch as the Hollywood shmucks... They live in a bubble and think they can connect to "common folk" by appealing to SJW causes.

I think an NFL football player should have the right to discuss whatever he wants to, just like anyone else.

I, however, have little interest in listening to them speak on matters other than football.

If I want an interesting discussion on race in America in the 21st century, I'm certainly not going to go looking for it from professional athletes.

Anymore than I'm going to ask a Ph.D. in history the best run blocking technique.

This guy gets it.

Interesting ... are you implying that African Americans are genetically superior to caucasians at playing football? Why does this sound racist a la " Jimmy the Greek" ? Kind of like saying that Asians are inherently good at math. Or whites are superior academically .. all these stereotypes. Could it be that there just are cultural differences between races that funnel young people toward certain pursuits? Because certain things are valued at the home level over others, or peer groups consider different things to be " cool"thus influencing choices that young people make? Until we can admit as a society that these differences in cultural mores exist and acknowledge it without fear of being called " not PC" or even " racist " we will be a lot worse off. Studies done as far back as the 50's and 60's have shown that the greatest predictor of academic success of youth is the quality and values stressed at home by the family. This is still true today and is not inborn to any race, it is learned behavior taught to others. Academic success or lack thereof is the largest predictor of life outcomes for adults, not race. That means it is the source of this " inequality" so in vogue to talk about now. America does not guarantee equality of life outcomes. And no, everyone doesn't start the race from the same lane on the track. It's always been that way.

I didn't read past the first sentence. I'm saying straight up teams will pick the player that gives them the best chance to WIN. The rest that you typed was not worth my time. I'm not getting into arguments that can't be won, but only lost by participating.

I FULLY agree here too.

This post is a mess.