I love narratives to make points - SF Defense & Watkins

Billsfan1972

There are a LOT of things that can be done to manage the cap to keep your YOUNG ELITE talent on a team. Capitals are for emphasis, not yelling. I don't have an issue with your stance here even though I see it different, its well thought out, but my point is cap management is what these guys are supposed to do, and creating space to keep Elite players who are 24 years old should be a priority, not finding ways to get rid of them to keep aging or middling players.

They felt that the offer provided was too good to pass up. That to me indicates that they weren't franchising him, and didn't see him signing an extension prior to hitting the market (since we passed on his 5th year option already there was probably a 0% chance he negotiate during the year).

We're rebuilding, and don't have a QB. Does a WR make that big of a difference this year? Not really. Could he next year? Sure - but there was a good chance he wasn't here next year anyway.

There's a decent chance he still hits the open market. Ogletree, and Trumaine Johnson are both UFAs too. I guarantee the players behind them are not as good as Woods/austin/kupp...

Edited by dneveu

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to pump the brakes a little. Last night's game was exciting to watch. It hurt seeing so many recent Bills do amazing. But it was v the Niners, a team considered part of the tank pack. Sammy is hurt again. Its just a matter of time when Flash goes down. Robey will have to go up against big TE's. Robert is the biggest gamer of them all. Listening to all the media wise cracks is getting old. Listening to heart attack Rob on Cowturd makes me ill. Let's get deeper into this season to see what happens. Maybe or maybe not McB has egg on their faces??? Let's see what pans out....

The next time I hear somebody say about Watkins that, "He would have been gone next year" I am going to launch a nuclear missile at that person's IP address.

Watkins could have been locked up for at least two more seasons and probably more. But he did not fit with the plans of Opie and the Beane and so he's gone in favor of a draft pick that may turn out to be nothing. Likewise Woods. And we've got a second rate receiving corps and an offense that can't score and no depth at running back and . . . never mind.

Yeah I'm saying that they couldn't spend that money elsewhere because they didn't. If McBeane said 'we could have signed Tom Brady, but we didn't, because of Dareus' contract,' then sure, Dareus' contract is a problem.

But that didn't happen. In fact, the team gave their 29 year running back a raise and extended their 31 year old center, so money and cap space doesn't seem to be an issue, despite Dareus' contract.

I'll take this as a "No, I don't know what a salary cap is."

I'll take this as a "No, I don't know what a salary cap is."

The cap isn't an issue anymore at all in the NFL. Name one guy that we HAD to release for the cap since Winfield and Williams? They CHOSE not to pay guys like Gilmore but the cap is of no hinderance to the Bills or anyone. They just push contracts down the line virtually into perpituity. The teams have learned how to manage their way through without any issues.

Unproven is unproven. Good young players but people here act like they're sure-fire future Hall of Famers.

So 2 guys that have never played an NFL game have proven as much as 2 guys that have played multiple seasons? Just own it, we all say stupid things. If your issue is that "they were unproven" the assets returned are less proven. Edited by Kirby Jackson

So...watkins had his one standout game for the season. Guess it's time he shut it down for awhile so people can say his stats are skewed because he missed so much time, but isn't actually injury prone.

I think the OP has been waiting all his life for this game so he could make this post. Too bad sammy let him down the 1st two..

So...watkins had his one standout game for the season. Guess it's time he shut it down for awhile so people can say his stats are skewed because he missed so much time, but isn't actually injury prone.

I think the OP has been waiting all his life for this game so he could make this post. Too bad sammy let him down the 1st two..

Yeah, I figured there would be an angry mob waiting to pounce after the game. They did not disappoint.

They felt that the offer provided was too good to pass up. That to me indicates that they weren't franchising him, and didn't see him signing an extension prior to hitting the market (since we passed on his 5th year option already there was probably a 0% chance he negotiate during the year).

We're rebuilding, and don't have a QB. Does a WR make that big of a difference this year? Not really. Could he next year? Sure - but there was a good chance he wasn't here next year anyway.

There's a decent chance he still hits the open market. Ogletree, and Trumaine Johnson are both UFAs too. I guarantee the players behind them are not as good as Woods/austin/kupp...

NOTE: All caps are again emphasizing, not yelling by any means. I find caps quicker than going back and using bold and underline.

But you realize that was the CHOICE of the FO, not that Sammy was NOT retainable right? This garbage that Sammy couldn't have been kept is total non sense. The TRUTH is whether or not the new regime was willing to INVEST into keeping Sammy or not. And therefore it is a GOOD trade to get something if you know you WONT offer him a contract to stay. But that is SELF INFLICTED by our FO, and a decision THEY made to NOT keep Sammy...it has NOTHING to do with whether or not Sammy would have been WILLING to stay.

So again, that comes down to competency in the decision to NOT keep or make an effort to keep Sammy by our DECISION MAKERS. So this whole thing about we COULD NOT resign Sammy or keep him on this roster through tagging him is complete nonsense.

Again, they clearly decided to go on without him and so they chose to get value for that decision, which is fine. But that by no means makes it the correct decision because their hand was NOT forced, they had plenty of ways to keep him if they WANTED to keep him.

NOTE: All caps are again emphasizing, not yelling by any means. I find caps quicker than going back and using bold and underline.

But you realize that was the CHOICE of the FO, not that Sammy was NOT retainable right? This garbage that Sammy couldn't have been kept is total non sense. The TRUTH is whether or not the new regime was willing to INVEST into keeping Sammy or not. And therefore it is a GOOD trade to get something if you know you WONT offer him a contract to stay. But that is SELF INFLICTED by our FO, and a decision THEY made to NOT keep Sammy...it has NOTHING to do with whether or not Sammy would have been WILLING to stay.

So again, that comes down to competency in the decision to NOT keep or make an effort to keep Sammy by our DECISION MAKERS. So this whole thing about we COULD NOT resign Sammy or keep him on this roster through tagging him is complete nonsense.

Again, they clearly decided to go on without him and so they chose to get value for that decision, which is fine. But that by no means makes it the correct decision because their hand was NOT forced, they had plenty of ways to keep him if they WANTED to keep him.

Thank god somebody can think logically about this and say the truth.

Just interesting that the Rams top 2 WR's this season (and this last game specifically) were the Bills top 2 WR's the past few years.

With a QB every person on this board said was a bust, who also still only sees about half the field and stares down those targets. Rarely did Goff even look to the other side of the field last night. If he was looking right he threw right without even bringing his head around to look elsewhere.

Thank god somebody can think logically about this and say the truth.

Thanks...its still gonna fall on deaf eyes around these parts though lmao

So 2 guys that have never played an NFL game have proven as much as 2 guys that have played multiple seasons? Just own it, we all say stupid things. If your issue is that "they were unproven" the assets returned are less proven.

Forget about this nonsense, who cares. You taking Denver -3 this week? I need to make some scratch.

So SF who held Newton to less passing yards then Buff did and Seattle on the road to also under 200 yards passing now has a lousy defense once the LA Rams shred them.

Watkins who had 7 targets in two weeks, caught 6 of 7 yesterday, but again is soft as he is in concussion protocol.

His fans claimed that Goff still trying to get comfortable with him, like TT with Matthews.....

Conversely Philly seems not to miss Matthews at all either.

Again it is obvious watching the Rams, that Goff looks just okay, but when you have an offensive scheme, movement and interesting packages, everyone looks better and played are open.

And as Bills fan the idea of a 300 yard passing game is just a dream.

Will see what happens Sunday, and who knows come Monday the Bills maybe the surprise of the NFL season (or allow 40 points).

Yes only 2 games + 1, but anyone who says Watkins isn't a top receiver Talent and only salivates about draft picks just is not watching the game.

Lol now concussions = soft. Talk about your narratives.....

Narratives like Sammy's poor first 2 games meant nothing and one good game mean he's going to put up monster numbers this year? Like I've been saying, the season is a marathon. We'll see where things shake out ultimately.

Poor? What you meant to say is he wasn't being targeted. He caught every ball that was thrown to him in those games, albeit not many.

He's on pace for a fine year. 10 TDs and over 1k yards. Will Zay hit 1k in 2 years?

Edited by Elite Poster

Yes, he has been able to hold safeties out of the box. He impacts games by being out there. The threat that he can score on any play helps open the once elite Bills running game.

If they do things right and use the draft capital they have built up wisely we can emerge rather quickly like Tennessee/Oakland did and morph into a playoff type team...Quarterback is the key. If we have one and they can use the remaining capital to fill in around him on offense well, we could be on our way...

One thing is for sure, they do have a plan and a solid direction they are going in, it remains to be seen if that is a good plan and the right direction.

Edited by matter2003

So SF who held Newton to less passing yards then Buff did and Seattle on the road to also under 200 yards passing now has a lousy defense once the LA Rams shred them.

Watkins who had 7 targets in two weeks, caught 6 of 7 yesterday, but again is soft as he is in concussion protocol.

His fans claimed that Goff still trying to get comfortable with him, like TT with Matthews.....

Conversely Philly seems not to miss Matthews at all either.

Again it is obvious watching the Rams, that Goff looks just okay, but when you have an offensive scheme, movement and interesting packages, everyone looks better and played are open.

And as Bills fan the idea of a 300 yard passing game is just a dream.

Will see what happens Sunday, and who knows come Monday the Bills maybe the surprise of the NFL season (or allow 40 points).

Yes only 2 games + 1, but anyone who says Watkins isn't a top receiver Talent and only salivates about draft picks just is not watching the game.

If you love narratives to make a point, you must love your own post.

SF "held Newton to less pass yards than we did" and that proves them good? Pass yards don't decide the winners of games, as Tyrod's defenders should know. The Panthers only threw 25 passes and still scored two passing TDs and 23 points and ran the ball quite well. They did plenty enough to win and the Niners defense didn't look especially good.

And nobody says Watkins is soft. Please. They say he gets injured a lot, And this concussion protocol thing does indeed extend this string.