I love narratives to make points - SF Defense & Watkins

Billsfan1972

Sure. But that wasn't an option.

I certainly don't want to continue to do what we have been doing the last 17 years. Are there really people that are against drafting a QB high in this next draft? So far it seems there are at least a couple of you in this thread.

So you are in the don't draft a QB high camp in next years draft?

No, I've been in the draft a QB high in 2018 camp for almost 2 years. I was also in the trade down in the 2017 draft to acquire a 2018 1st camp. That has nothing to do with gutting the roster of talent.

I'll flip the question, "do you think that this team has more or less talent than last year?"

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I've been in the draft a QB high in 2018 camp for almost 2 years. I was also in the trade down in the 2017 draft to acquire a 2018 1st camp. That has nothing to do with gutting the roster of talent.

I'll flip the question, "do you think that this team has more or less talent than last year?"

I think slightly less but I also think they are a better Team.

Rex needed to get that roster to the playoffs Marrone and Schwartz would have.

I think slightly less but I also think they are a better Team.

Rex needed to get that roster to the playoffs Marrone and Schwartz would have.

I agree. Rex was the problem. He took a playoff roster and totally screwed up. Now they have fixed the defense and I believe McDermott will be a decent HC. The offensive coaching, talent and design is deplorable. We let Kromer go and brought in Castillo?!? If we could have taken the last 3 staffs we could have assembled an awesome coaching group.

Why can't you just trust them and let them work their plan?

I think these guys are going to get it right.

If they don't I won't lose any sleep,my lively hood isn't tied to the Bills and I may save some money by not renewing my season tickets;)

Sit back and enjoy the ride there is nothing we can do about it anyway.

Of course that is all true, with the possible exception of the second line.

But the part where Beane is shaking our hands while pi$$ing in our pockets is insulting. "I want to win this year so I traded Sammy". You have to see that for what it is.

Which is fine....wrong but fine....if Beane didn't say we did the trade in an effort to win now. It was clearly a lie so ridiculous that it showed disdain for the fane base.

Beane has been very clear about the trade and his way of running things in general. He will try to win now without sacrificing the future. Trading Sammy, for the future. Getting Gaines back, for the now. Getting a 2nd back, for the future. If we're ever close to a Super Bowl team I am sure he will prioritize the now. That's how smart teams do it, you find your window and go all in. If you're lucky enough to have a top 5 QB you can have sustained success for years.

Edited by HappyDays

Beane has been very clear about the trade and his way of running things in general. He will try to win now without sacrificing the future. Trading Sammy, for the future. Getting Gaines back, for the now. Getting a 2nd back, for the future. If we're ever close to a Super Bowl team I am sure he will prioritize the now. That's how smart teams do it, you find your window and go all in. If you're lucky enough to have a top 5 QB you can have sustained success for years.

Yeah, if this is his plan, it's a horrible one.

But Bills fans should take comfort in knowing that the Bills will be competitive again sometime "in the future."

You never trade a star - period. All of these, "we weren't going to pay him" arguments go out the window when the Bills had him under control for AT LEAST 3 more years. It wasn't his decision, it was theirs. That can't be missed here. He could have played under the 5th year option and the tag twice.

So you are willing to pay Watkins around 13 mil for his 5th yr option, prob mostly guranteed? Then you are going to pay him around 15 mil a season if you cant get a contract worked out? What had Watkins done that earned him this big payday?

I said my piece in the gameday thread. Today hurts though. Watkkns, Woods, Goodwin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Matthews, Zay, Holmes

We had a surefire #1, solid #2 and an elite deep threat. Now we have a slow #2, a struggling (but talented) rookie that probably peaks as a solid 2 and some guys that don't belong in the NFL.

TT made everyone leave. They rather play with a legit QB. We let go of them and kept Taylor.LOL

Of course that is all true, with the possible exception of the second line.

But the part where Beane is shaking our hands while pi$$ing in our pockets is insulting. "I want to win this year so I traded Sammy". You have to see that for what it is.

Are you saying Beane is rooting for the team to lose?

Dont disagree here.

That's not true at all. They play in wide open offenses with young genius offensive minded head coaches. TT still has been way better than those 2 since taking over (although Goff looks like a player).

No he has not. He is a better athlete but I don't think he's better. He does not sustain drives he doesn't get key first downs. Ones you make TT pass to get back in it. You might as well say we lost.

Yeah, if this is his plan, it's a horrible one.

But Bills fans should take comfort in knowing that the Bills will be competitive again sometime "in the future."

I take it you were a huge fan of the "we're so close let's sacrifice the future for the present" mentality we've been seeing running the Bills for the last five years?

So you are willing to pay Watkins around 13 mil for his 5th yr option, prob mostly guranteed? Then you are going to pay him around 15 mil a season if you cant get a contract worked out? What had Watkins done that earned him this big payday?

With the current make up of the Bills roster, why are people freaking out over how much Watkins will be paid?

Next season, Taylor will be gone and the Bills will have a rookie QB, so they save money there. After that, they have a bunch of well paid 30 year olds who will be falling of the roster over the next few years.

The Bills would have easily had the cap space for Watkins. What other up and coming players do the have who will demand big contracts?

Watkins contract would not have been a problem unless McBeane is planning to invest heavily in free agency the next few years.

So Goff with Matthews > TT with Watkins?

You blamed TT for a pathetic defense last year and yet this year's is good. Now you're blaming TT for career long crappy receivers looking crappy? How about keeping your criticism of TT to TT and not blaming him for everyone else's shortcomings?

It is his fault he does not make the team better by throwing 30 incompletes a game. Plus holds on to the ball too long and panics under pressure. Good receivers get sick of looking bad when they are talented. Every receiver that has left from TT. Has gotten a better contract for one. For two they are way happier having a better Qb. Hogan Woods, Watkins, etc. Now I live in LA. I hear the jokes they both insinuated about TT's game. He continues to prove that no matter if you get the best NFL stars he is gonna play sorry and fustrate them. Edited by Noogie75

With the current make up of the Bills roster, why are people freaking out over how much Watkins will be paid?

Next season, Taylor will be gone and the Bills will have a rookie QB, so they save money there. After that, they have a bunch of well paid 30 year olds who will be falling of the roster over the next few years.

The Bills would have easily had the cap space for Watkins. What other up and coming players do the have who will demand big contracts?

Watkins contract would not have been a problem unless McBeane is planning to invest heavily in free agency the next few years.

The current make up of the roster is irrelevant. If you're using cap space on players who aren't playing up to that level then you're wasting cap money and in turn hurting the team. See: Dareus

I take it you were a huge fan of the "we're so close let's sacrifice the future for the present" mentality we've been seeing running the Bills for the last five years?

No, I'm a fan of let's dump our young talent so that we create more holes than our draft picks can fill over the next 3 years because they don't fit into a rookie GM's and coach's "process" or "system."