McDermott's clapping really ticks me off

Do you like his sideline mannerisms?

I appreciate his intensity and it seems sincere, but I cannot get over when he claps adamantly when there is a 3 and out, a defensive collapse or even something positive. It is the same robotic motion every time.

This thread is ridiculous, I know. But it really pisses me off to see how eager he is to greet his players to the sideline when the just blew a big opportunity.

It's up there with:

Marrones blank stare

Todd Bowles **** eating grin

Carrols gum smacking confusion

Looks like he might have cracked my top three...

How about Rex, instead of coaching better and fixing problems, shaking his head after every penalty as though he's never the one to blame.

The only thing "beta as hell" is insecure guys who try to pump themselves up by seeing the world through an absurd alpha/beta lens.

No, there are clear traits you look for in a leader, you need to state failure is unacceptable and there will be consequences for losing and accountability will rule this team. Not clapping for poor performance and handing out participation trophies.

I appreciate his intensity and it seems sincere, but I cannot get over when he claps adamantly when there is a 3 and out, a defensive collapse or even something positive. It is the same robotic motion every time.

This thread is ridiculous, I know. But it really pisses me off to see how eager he is to greet his players to the sideline when the just blew a big opportunity.

It's up there with:

Marrones blank stare

I coach soccer and I do the same thing. I clap and shake the players hand when they come off the field, no matter how they played during that particular stretch of game. It's designed to encourage them and let them know you've got their back through good points of play and bad alike. I see absolutely nothing wrong with being positive and maintaining that attitude regardless of what is going on on the field. Screaming and yelling at players does not produce results.

I'm old fashioned. I like energy in a coach, but I prefer it in the form of ripping into players and refs.

It doesn't work. Players will tune you out and refs will make sure to not give you the benefit of the doubt if you are riding them.

I coach soccer and I do the same thing. I clap and shake the players hand when they come off the field, no matter how they played during that particular stretch of game. It's designed to encourage them and let them know you've got their back through good points of play and bad alike. I see absolutely nothing wrong with being positive and maintaining that attitude regardless of what is going on on the field. Screaming and yelling at players does not produce results.

It doesn't work. Players will tune you out and refs will make sure to not give you the benefit of the doubt if you are riding them.

It worked for Coughlin for a while. I'm just stating the coaching style that I enjoy for entertainment value. There is no particular coaching that does or doesn't work. It all depends upon the coaches skill level, and the talent on the roster. We all have different personalities, yet differing personalities can still achieve the same results.

Kids yes and the coaching still should reflect that. Now professionals if they tune you out, will be on the streets real quick, real quick with me. This is a businesss and we demand success, if we don't get it you get replaced, real simple.

Agreed! it actually really annoys me. If you clap once in a while to motivate when things go wrong i get that, but to do it after every negative play just gets redundant

I bet his hands are really sore after the game.

Edited by DirtDart

It's up there with:

Marrones blank stare

You are appropriately named.

I think if he watches the film of himself, and does a fair self-critique, he will eliminate between 2.6 and 3.4% of his claps, some of which were either clearly unnecessary or redundant, and therefore become a better coach.

It is rumored, but not confirmed, that the psycho ref was not actually roughed, he was just pissed at the clapping, and threatened to "clap you upside yo non-nappy head the next time you clap for no reason."

I think if he watches the film of himself, and does a fair self-critique, he will eliminate between 2.6 and 3.4% of his claps, some of which were either clearly unnecessary or redundant, and therefore become a better coach.

It is rumored, but not confirmed, that the psycho ref was not actually roughed, he was just pissed at the clapping, and threatened to "clap you upside yo non-nappy head the next time you clap for no reason."

While, on the surface, I agree .... I ask that you take into account garbage claps. How many of the claps came against prevent transitions?

While, on the surface, I agree .... I ask that you take into account garbage claps. How many of the claps came against prevent transitions?

Good point. I forgot about the garbage claps. Although I must add there were three or four missed claps that should have been made for those wide open receivers Tyrod missed. Those UCEs (unforced clap errors) add up.

Good point. I forgot about the garbage claps. Although I must add there were three or four missed claps that should have been made for those wide open receivers Tyrod missed. Those UCEs (unforced clap errors) add up.

We really need to get a head coach from the Belichick clapping tree.