Zay Jones drops huge catch. <radio edit>

r00tabaga

They ran that same play to perfection in preseason and against the Jets. It's one of our cornerstone plays when we need a 1st. But this is what happens when you're leaning on a rookie to play a big role in your passing offense.

Plenty of rookie receivers make that play. No excuse not to make a clean catch for a 1st down.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of rookie receivers make that play. No excuse not to make a clean catch for a 1st down.

Ball is high (helmet level) while sailing away from the receiver. Looks like he got his left (outside) hand on the ball to stop it to then complete the catch with his right hand. Tough chance.

Edited by starrymessenger

Ball is high (helmet level) while sailing away from the receiver. Looks like he got his right (outside) hand on the ball trying to stop it in order to then complete the catch. Tough chance.

That's called a drop. Pure and simple. Make the clean catch as he's known for having excellent hands.

I dont call that a drop. A drop is what Brandon Marshall just did (if youre watching mnf).

So Clay's drop in the end zone week 1 wasnt a drop and this one here wasnt a drop either? Posters here are so kind and generous with NFL WR's apparently.

Im curious, does your generosity also extend to the QB when determing what a "bad throw" is? I mean if the pass isnt exactly in the middle of the numbers, im sure such a generous and open minded person like yourself would surely understand. Correct?

Edited by bobobonators

So Clay's drop in the end zone week 1 wasnt a drop and this one here wasnt a drop either? Youre so kind and generous with NFL WR arent you.

Im curious, does your generosity also extend to the QB when determing what a "bad throw" is? I mean if the pass isnt exactly in the middle of the numbers, im sure such a generous and open minded person like yourself would surely understand. Correct?

My point was simply that the play was better described as a tough chance rather than a drop. For sure that can be a matter of opinion and opinions can differ. There was no implied criticism of the pass or the passer or at least none was intended. But come to think of it I don't find that Taylor throws a very receiver friendly ball or he frequently does not. Just all part of him not being good at passing the football in spite of his remarkable athleticism I guess.

My point was simply that the play was better described as a tough chance rather than a drop. For sure that can be a matter of opinion and opinions can differ. There was no implied criticism of the pass or the passer or at least none was intended. But come to think of it I don't find that Taylor throws a very receiver friendly ball or he frequently does not. Just all part of him not being good at passing the football in spite of his remarkable athleticism I guess.

Fair enough.

That's on both of them to a point. Probably should of caught it but the throw wasn't that good either

I have watched that play several times, with all the angles available and that is on Jones 100%. What was he doing, stopping and facing completely BACK towards Tyrod? That's why the throw looks high...because stopped running. I don't think I have ever seen that before. Has anyone looked at the All-22? Can you make sense of it?

I'm sure most of us have made mistakes too. Lighten up on the guy

Why should we? He's been screwing up his routes since training camp. I do believe Reilley would have caught it. But he's not on the squad, because he wasn't drafted and Jones was.

Absurd to blame Zay. Ball wasn't quite where it needed to be. Would have been a circus catch. Tyrod almost hit it, but he missed.

Ball was exactly where it needed to be. Jones wasn't.

OBJ would have made that catch as a rookie, sure glad we traded up for Watkins!

You are aware that wasn't Sammy, right?

It was only catchable because Zay made an incredible adjustment getting turned around to get his hands on it. The throw was poor and would have been an easy catch had it been not behind him with a safety coming over from that side that the ball ended up going to.

He had to make that "incredible adjustment" because he totally screwed up.

LOL...like those throws were the same.

It wasn't a tight fitting window through....it was a poor throw.

What kind of a response do you expect Zay to have. It wasn't that good of a throw?

The game showed me that if you stop the run game and leave it in the hands of TT to throw....it's ugly.

I think you mean "the hands of the receivers are ugly."

https://mobile.twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/909511839784034307/video/1/

I don't see this stumble that some of you are talking about...

I just see a terribly thrown football by a running back trying to play quarterback.

I believe they're offering a course at the community college for those who don't understand football. You should look into it.

The tape doesn't prove a thing, and nobody is going to blame the leader of the offense in TT.

Call it what you want, but you are just as stubborn as any poster here.

The tape doesn't prove a thing??? You actually freely wrote that nonsense? I guess it makes sense, a lot of your other posts tend to be filled with "alternative facts" too. Edited by yungmack

Hasn't it been clearly established that Jones ran a really lousy and confused-looking route? Shouldn't that basic fact be driving the conversation? I'm not trying to defend Taylor's overall game, btw -- he has to put the team in a position to generate more than 3 points before switching over to 4-down ball in the final couple of minutes (when point totals go up given the extra down). But on that play, a better route results in that looking like a perfect pass.

Edited by dave mcbride

Hasn't it been clearly established that Jones ran a really lousy and confused-looking route? Shouldn't that basic fact be driving the conversation? I'm not trying to defend Taylor's overall game, btw -- he has to put the team in a position to generate more than 3 points before switching over to 4-down ball in the final couple of minutes (when point totals go up given the extra down). But on that play, a better route results in that looking like a perfect pass.

Zay should have ran a more up-the-field route, but when TT began throwing the ball Zay had already made his break to the sideline, meaning that TT saw the play develop before he threw it, and the ball should have been to his outside shoulder.

This was a clear case where the blame goes on both the receiver and the QB

Zay should have ran a more up-the-field route, but when TT began throwing the ball Zay had already made his break to the sideline, meaning that TT saw the play develop before he threw it, and the ball should have been to his outside shoulder.

Draw a straight line to the pylon and Taylor's pass was a little bit inside and Jones' route was a little bit outside. The only difference is Taylor's throw led the play away from coverage and into the end zone. Which brings us to the real problem : Jones didn't track the pass until the absolute last second, and then made an extremely bad play on the ball. Yeah, it looked like a heroic effort to catch a bad pass, but that's what happens when you take a half-stutter-step and jump straight up. Just run it thru and the pass drops right over the shoulder. Not to pick on ZJ, but Watkins makes that catch ten out of ten times and makes it look easy. Run a quick out and, yes, you expect the ball right on the hands. But with a forty yard pass, I think most league receivers aren't surprised if they have to tweak the end of the route a few feet. And we're talking about a microscopic adjustment here. How small? Jones runs a shallow route, has no idea where the pass is until the last possible moment, totally misplays the ball - and still it goes thru his hands.

Edited by grb

I have watched that play several times, with all the angles available and that is on Jones 100%. What was he doing, stopping and facing completely BACK towards Tyrod? That's why the throw looks high...because stopped running. I don't think I have ever seen that before. Has anyone looked at the All-22? Can you make sense of it?

Why should we? He's been screwing up his routes since training camp. I do believe Reilley would have caught it. But he's not on the squad, because he wasn't drafted and Jones was.

Ball was exactly where it needed to be. Jones wasn't.

You are aware that wasn't Sammy, right?

He had to make that "incredible adjustment" because he totally screwed up.

I think you mean "the hands of the receivers are ugly."

I believe they're offering a course at the community college for those who don't understand football. You should look into it.

The tape doesn't prove a thing??? You actually freely wrote that nonsense? I guess it makes sense, a lot of your other posts tend to be filled with "alternative facts" too.

Amazing responses and spot on. Seriously doubt the credibility of anyone who thinks that was not the fault of ZJ. Shows they don't know what they are looking at or are just focused on biased hatred of TT. People can judge TT and the rest of the offense all they want about the rest of the game, but its unquestionably on ZJ with the poor and sloppy route, that was unforced by the way and all on him. And I really still like ZJ as a prospect as 2 games in is way too soon to judge a rookie.

I know this thread is about the throw to Zay, but I wanted to drop this link to a vid on yardsperpass here. Some people brought up how Taylor missed O'leary running open after throwing a pass to Dimarco. Well here is that play: https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/909847023217557504

There is no way in hell that Taylor is making that play to Oleary. He would have had to turn his body around to make that throw or throw against his body. At the same time he is being chased by two Panthers that would have crushed him trying that move. Taylor made the right throw. It was even a good throw that should have been a first down.

But but but, Jeremy on WGR said!!!!

Draw a straight line to the pylon and Taylor's pass was a little bit inside and Jones' route was a little bit outside. The only difference is Taylor's throw led the play away from coverage and into the end zone. Which brings us to the real problem : Jones didn't track the pass until the absolute last second, and then made an extremely bad play on the ball. Yeah, it looked like a heroic effort to catch a bad pass, but that's what happens when you take a half-stutter-step and jump straight up. Just run it thru and the pass drops right over the shoulder. Not to pick on ZJ, but Watkins makes that catch ten out of ten times and makes it look easy. Run a quick out and, yes, you expect the ball right on the hands. But with a forty yard pass, I think most league receivers aren't surprised if they have to tweak the end of the route a few feet. And we're talking about a microscopic adjustment here. How small? Jones runs a shallow route, has no idea where the pass is until the last possible moment, totally misplays the ball - and still it goes thru his hands.

This is correct 1000% And unlike some may think, there is no way TT is still holding that ball when ZJ is out of his break. He stumbles and loses where he is on the field, and tracks the ball very late. SW is here and that's ballgame( provided Hauschka makes the PA). I can't believe some claim they don't see the stumble. It's there, and enough to throw his route off.

Thats bound to happen with a rookie wr. He is getting open just not making the plays. Imo we are close to him really having a break out type game. I would do a few things early in the next game to get his confidence up.

Edited by Mat68

Thats bound to happen with a rookie wr. He is getting open just not making the plays. Imo we are close to him really having a break out type game. I would do a few things early in the next game to get his confidence up.

He would have been in a much better situation on a Bills team with Watkins & Boldin, where he could have stayed in the slot & had less pressure to develop quickly.

Not to be tho......

He would have been in a much better situation on a Bills team with Watkins & Boldin, where he could have stayed in the slot & had less pressure to develop quickly.

Not to be tho......

They would also do better if the coach started calling a game that gets these guys into a rhythm.