Tyrod Taylor 2.0?

JerseyBills

In his last two games he has thrown over the middle. As a matter of fact he's 42/67 (63%) with 553 yds 5TD/1INT and 98 on the ground. I guess that would equal improvement.

I started to give up on him last year but I'm giving him a second chance. He has better available weapons this year and an experienced OC. Also like to add that his WR's are mostly slot guys that have better RAC ability.

Edited by r00tabaga

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where posters lose me, and I feel the need to correct them.

He didn't prove anyone wrong. What TT has failed to do and still hasn't proven is that he can use the middle third of the field regularly. More specifically...at the same rate as most other QB's.

He made a few short and very simple throws to the middle of the field. Now here comes posters with the supreme hyperbole. TT has drastically improved, and he's proven all his doubters wrong.

At least now we can put to bed the argument that nobody is claiming Tyrod is great.

No, he didn't. This is where you lose everyone else.

Yesterday Taylor was throwing pretty consistently (I haven't gone through and analyzed play by play, yet, but I plan to go have a look) to the middle 1/3rd of the field beyond 5 and 10 yards... that whole "intermediate" portion folks are so critical of. They were hardly "short and very simple throws." If that's really what you think, you weren't paying attention.

Taylor was really good using the middle of the field yesterday. Any objective observer could see that. That's why you see so many nationally are recognizing that from the game.

If Taylor's play from yesterday is an indicator of things to come for the rest of the season, brace yourself for Taylor being our QB again in 2018, at the very least.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

No, he didn't. This is where you lose everyone else.

Yesterday Taylor was throwing pretty consistently (I haven't gone through and analyzed play by play, yet, but I plan to go have a look) to the middle 1/3rd of the field beyond 5 and 10 yards... that whole "intermediate" portion folks are so critical of. They were hardly "short and very simple throws." If that's really what you think, you weren't paying attention.

Taylor was really good using the middle of the field yesterday. Any objective observer could see that. That's why you see so many nationally are recognizing that from the game.

If Taylor's play from yesterday is an indicator of things to come for the rest of the season, brace yourself for Taylor being our QB again in 2018, at the very least.

I've never disagreed with your last paragraph more. TT didnt earn anymore rope.

Funny how the COT crew is pounder their chest at how well Tyrod did against a team battling for last place. A team expected to be one of if not THE worst team in the NFL.

No pressure on Tyrod gave him a easy day. Remember Trent Edwards was very good with no pressure but once the pressure was on from a good team he would be on the bench after multiple 3 and outs.

I will wait till later in the season to decide if Tyrod has improved. In my opinion this game was a free win that even the Thad or Thigpen would have won.

I hope Im incorrect and Tyrod has a playoff season but Im not holding my breathe I'm expecting the same old Tyrod just not good enough.

There is nothing wrong with the jets defense

While it pains me to agree with him....I agree that yesterdays game should not have earned TT anymore rope then he had previously

He needs to show some consistancy

Nonsense.

I gave him credit, and I have always said his stats have been acquired by easy, simple throws. He did throw to the middle more, but it wasn't anything difficult or impressive...i'm just stating the obvious here.

When he does what he's best at, he can be effective...moving out of the pocket, making plays on the run or throwing off of the run, and his deep ball which is good.

My concern has always been his limitations as a passer in a passing league, and how it seems to be a major flaw late in games and crucial moments in close games.

He's a fine player that does some good things, but my expectations of our team and QB are more than what he can bring to the table.

The 3rd and 11 pass to Jordan Matthews over the middle that gained 14 yards (is 14 yards a short and simple throw, to you?) was one of the most difficult and impressive plays and throws (QB running to his left and throwing a dart to a WR with defenders all around) you'll see from a QB.

There were other plays that were those intermediate timing routes slanting to the middle designed for YAC like the 1st play of the Bills 2nd series to Zay Jones. 21 yard gain. 7 YAC after the ball was caught 14 yards beyond the LOS.

Do you want your QB doing headstands while he's throwing the ball or something?

If you didn't include so much definitive and ridiculous hyperbole in some of your posts, you'd sometimes sound reasonable.

I'll keep this short, Taylor showed huge improvements in his game and it was evident from the first series. Specifically in the pocket.

His footwork, poise and speed scanning the field looks to have improved drastically. A huge drop by Clay turned 7 into 0 and some very smart throwaways decreased his completion percentage but we totally dominated and controlled this game. He converted some big 3rd downs, and used his legs very effectively.

Make no mistake, this offense runs through Shady but I think we are witnessing the evolution of Tyrod Taylor. I really felt Dennison held back big time in the 4th and just sat on the lead, up 2 scores, dominant defensive performance, that's fine but I'm really excited to see Taylor grow in this scheme and get comfortable with the WR corps.

This was a true team win, well , maybe minus ST, but for the first time in quite some time the O and D both showed up, 400+ yards on O , just over 200 allowed. Taylor's stats weren't eye popping but he did what needed to be done and looked vastly improved in the pocket. I'm really excited to see us match up with Carolina, I don't see any reason we can't have the same outcome.

Tyrod 2.0 is here

That's what Taylor has to do: keep it short.

I'm confident that he will be given an opportunity to play this season so the staff can see what he can do. Of course because of his inexperience he isn't presently accomplished in a more sophisticated offense. He's a rookie. What do you expect? To be an instant success? He was considered to be a smart player coming out of college with a not so strong arm. As the season advances and the team slides out of the running (as I expect) odds are that the staff will want to see what he can do.

Do I think he is going to be our long-term answer at qb? Absolutely not. There was a reason why he was drafted in the fifth round. But what I already know is what TT can do. For me he is not the answer. My hope is that the organization uses their first round pick to get a more talented qb who will be significantly better than what they already have.

How do you know what Taylor can do in Dennison's West Coast scheme? Is it not possible a guy who has 30 starts under his belt can't improve? I live in the heart of North Jersey,why do I have more Jet fans than Bills fans praising him?? Look at his last two games, I see a QB who has a ton of potential IF molded right

HOW IS THIS FAN BASE NOT EXCITED ABOUT OUR QB SITUATION?

Shady is a RARE talent. He's a future H.O.Famer numbers don't lie.

Taylor has a defense for the first time in his career and has Shady , and I'm telling you, he's going to be used in the pass game alot , he's going to make Taylor look better, because that's what rare talents do.

The team truly believes in him, he DOESN'T TURN TBE BALL OVER, he is capable of being a playmaking QB, he's just been Inconsistent.

Why are we rushing judgement on a 3rd year starter,who has led a top 12 and 10 scoring offense?? He plays like his last 2 games, Shady stays healthy and the defense is as good as advertised, we have a legit chance at being contenders

I'm starting to think this is for ugly reasons, like not being your stereotypical QB reasons

"Drastically improved"

"Proved the doubters wrong"

These are comments that have been made that show posters going overboard based off this one solid performance.

What I think we have here is a reading comprehension problem.

If something is bad, it can be "drastically improved" and still not be great. We have a kid on my daughter's VB team who is drastically improved this year - she scores points and makes impromptu saves now.

Doesn't make her great. Glad she's on the team though.

Tyrod is far from the "trash" some people call him. He was adequate to win a few more games then we did last year. He may improve this year if Dennison's system suits him. He looked bad in preseason, so he may "prove the doubters wrong" just by continuing as he was towards the end of last season.

That doesn't mean he's great, or that people are calling him great.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

How do you know what Taylor can do in Dennison's West Coast scheme? Is it not possible a guy who has 30 starts under his belt can't improve? I live in the heart of North Jersey,why do I have more Jet fans than Bills fans praising him?? Look at his last two games, I see a QB who has a ton of potential IF molded right

HOW IS THIS FAN BASE NOT EXCITED ABOUT OUR QB SITUATION?

Shady is a RARE talent. He's a future H.O.Famer numbers don't lie.

Taylor has a defense for the first time in his career and has Shady , and I'm telling you, he's going to be used in the pass game alot , he's going to make Taylor look better, because that's what rare talents do.

The team truly believes in him, he DOESN'T TURN TBE BALL OVER, he is capable of being a playmaking QB, he's just been Inconsistent.

Why are we rushing judgement on a 3rd year starter,who has led a top 12 and 10 scoring offense?? He plays like his last 2 games, Shady stays healthy and the defense is as good as advertised, we have a legit chance at being contenders

I'm starting to think this is for ugly reasons, like not being your stereotypical QB reasons

Erm, I'm starting to think Crusher may have a point where you're concerned and I really wouldn't like to think that.

You ask "how is this fan base not excited about our QB situation?" and "why are we rushing judgement?" in the same page.

I'll be excited about our QB situation when I see Taylor able to make some of the plays the top QB in the league make. Until then, I'll be pleased that we have a decent QB who can win us some games, and yes, take us to playoffs if the D is good. But do you really want to "contend" or do you want to be able to win it all?

I want to be able to win it all, personally. And if you think Taylor is "the Man" who can do that, I think the one rushing judgement is you.

Wow! That's a helluva play on 3rd down. That accuracy and degree of difficulty I'd amazing If Dak Prescott made that play, it'd be in his highlight reel , getting heavy praise.

That was a good play, and what I liked about it is he stepped up into the pocket. I don't recall ever seeing TT make a play by stepping up into the pocket like that the last two years.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Erm, I'm starting to think Crusher may have a point where you're concerned and I really wouldn't like to think that.

You ask "how is this fan base not excited about our QB situation?" and "why are we rushing judgement?" in the same page.

I'll be excited about our QB situation when I see Taylor able to make some of the plays the top QB in the league make. Until then, I'll be pleased that we have a decent QB who can win us some games, and yes, take us to playoffs if the D is good. But do you really want to "contend" or do you want to be able to win it all?

I want to be able to win it all, personally. And if you think Taylor is "the Man" who can do that, I think the one rushing judgement is you.

That was a good play, and what I liked about it is he stepped up into the pocket. I don't recall ever seeing TT make a play by stepping up into the pocket like that the last two years.

He's not the man to do it. He can't carry this team like Rodgers, Stafford,Brady, there's not many elite play out there

But he could be a key cog in the wheel.

As well ad Shady looking like this for 16 games, and an above average defense..

Your second post completely proved my point, he's doing things we haven't seen, he's still growing as a QB, and I think his ceiling is higher than he gets credit for.

Your second post completely proved my point, he's doing things we haven't seen, he's still growing as a QB, and I think his ceiling is higher than he gets credit for.

But what you think his ceiling might be is entirely subjective. You can't get mad at other fans for not being excited when all that means is they don't share a subjective opinion.

That first throw to Matthews hardly anyone in the league makes. The escapability then standing upright, looking downfield, and throwing all arm on a dart to a well covered guy for a first down on (IIRC) third and long, was ridiculous. Few make that play. Maybe Russell Wilson or Rodgers.

Yep. What I've been saying all day. Special play.

Yes, he did. One more game. I thought there was a legit chance if he played terribly in game 1 and for a good chunk of game 2, he might be benched.

Pretty clearly game 1 earned him one more game this year. And if game 1 were replicated through the entire year, the conversation will be interesting.

Yes, he did. One more game. I thought there was a legit chance if he played terribly in game 1 and for a good chunk of game 2, he might be benched.

Pretty clearly game 1 earned him one more game this year. And if game 1 were replicated through the entire year, the conversation will be interesting.

I completely disagree. I think Dennison is licking his chops with what he could do creatively with Tyrod. He wanted him in Denver, he clearly had a specific vision for Tyrod and sold his bosses on it. Peterman is staying put, where he should be.