A few thought about the Jets game. In no particular order

Virgil

Too conservative down the stretch

TT threw with anticipation and towards the middle of the field early and often. He did more of this as the season progressed last year and he looks like he took a tiny step forward. He played very well. Can he sustain it? I don't know. Would I take 32 TD and 16 picks or 24 TD and 8 picks? I don't know either. All I know is once again he made more than enough plays to win the game.

Right side of the line still looks terrible

The new defensive backfield was solid though this may be their easiest test of the season. Safety play appears mcuh better than last year. I would still like to see A. Williams signed to play a third safety/CB hybrid role. Future opponents will spread them out and attack the secondary

Schmidt was terrible

As you can't see the entire field on TV, I have no idea if there were open WR downfield or if there were even that many deep routes called. So all I will say is they need to get Jones and Mathews involved earlier. Like or dislike TT, everyone knows teams will stack the line in an attempt to stop the run. So either call more misdirection TT runs or call more deep balls. That is the only way to get the defense out of the box.

As for 2018 draft, it will be DT and LB in the first round.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not intentional; Bowles is the worst clock manager in the NFL.

Hence why he punts down 9 and then calls 3 timeouts on the ensuing drive

It's something that Jauron would do.

The Jets are going to struggle this season. What's the point in being so cautious when you have so little to risk?

To me, it looked a lot like last year's offense with fewer big plays but more efficient plays. And that's probably ok.

Very impressed with the safety play and White. The linebackers struggled in their drops, I'm terrified of what Olson, Samuel and McCaffrey are going to do over the middle next week. The Panthers are well-structured to destroy Cover-2.

Would've liked more blitzing, I understand keeping the play in front but every time they rushed, McCown dumped it off for a quick two yard completion.

Thought the run blocking was mostly good. Wondering if they ran to the right to avoid Wilkerson. Mills still can't pass block.

This game looked like Iowa v. Iowa State. The Bills were way better than the Jets but both teams are terrible.

Nice job, Virgil.

I thought Tyrod looked more composed than I expected, and looked more comfortable in the pocket.

Maybe that's what the players are talking about when they mention his leadership abilities.

However, the Bills had the lead the whole game, and the next month is going to be rough.

The lack of injuries so far this year is a pleasant surprise.

Falcons are the same team as last year. Bills had some of the highest turnover in the league and players like Tyrod and Jordan Matthews not practicing for weeks. We missed a FG and a dropped pass led to a pick on what should have been a TD. Taken all together we have nothing to be concerned about, no more than any other team that won anyways.

But Atlanta is now missing their secret weapon DiMarco!

Teams lose games getting too cute. There's nothing to be gained airing out for no reason.

I wasn't saying to get cute. Just throw in play action with simple throws, especially in obvious run situations. Just hard to win against good teams when you go run, run, incomplete and punt twice in a row and taking off 1:00 for each possession. Lucky we played a terrible offence

10 - Matthews - For all that is holy in the world, TUCK IN YOUR DAMN JERSEY! I don't know why this bothered me so much and I'm sorry to waste a point on it, but it drove me nuts. With that, he's a big boy and had a great RAC play. I look forward to seeing what he can do this season.

The jersey thing annoyed me, but what I was more worried about is his spinning the ball nonsense he did several times after he got a first down. He's going to start getting 15 yard penalties for that sooner or later. It only takes one annoyed ref to determine that he spun the ball at an opposing player to flag him for taunting.

The jersey thing annoyed me, but what I was more worried about is his spinning the ball nonsense he did several times after he got a first down. He's going to start getting 15 yard penalties for that sooner or later. It only takes one annoyed ref to determine that he spun the ball at an opposing player to flag him for taunting.

Yup, noticed the same thing.

Happy Bills opening day everyone! No matter what your expectations are for this upcoming season, it's great to have Bills football back because at the end of the day, isn't that why we are all here? Great weather for those who attended. I watched from the family house and got to listen WGR on the drive home. Seems like the consensus thought is that it wasn't a pretty game, we could have scored more, but it's nice to start the season with a new regime with a win and get some experience under our belts. With that being said...

1 - Rushing Attack - It was great to see the rushing attack pick up where it left off last year, even though the zone run scheme is slightly different. A lot more under center snaps and less sweep runs with cuts to the inside. It seemed must more straight forward which didn't work all the time, but still overall effective. I was very surprised to see us rush to the right side so often, when our strength is typically to our left. Maybe the swapping out of Glenn and Dawkins had something to do with it. And Incognito didn't have his best game with a few penalties. Overall, you have to like the end result and Tolbert looked fantastic as a charging bull. Would like to see more from Demarco with the money we paid for him as I didn't see him make any huge blocks, but I wasn't watching him as much as I could have.

2 - Defensive Line - I don't like talking about the defensive line too much because we never know as fans what their assignments are. I doubt they were afraid of McCown scrambling and the run game for the Jets wasn't that great, so I'm assuming they were trying to get after the quarterback. With that in mind, I was a little disappointed by our front 4. While they were good against the run, they really didn't generate much pressure. Even when we sent a few more, we didn't exactly scare McCown. Our defense was overall very good, but I worry about what our lack of pressure will do against a real offense in coming weeks.

3 - Poyer - Can we just appreciate how fast and aggressive this guy played? He was all over the field. I was really worried about the Safety position going into the season but this kid was fantastic. He was blitzing, he was tracking guys down out of the backfield, fighting for interceptions, basically just being a beast. I look forward to see more from this kid.

4 - Another night at the Palace

'cause there is nothing else to do.

The same people, the same drinks and the same music,

the same quicksand

I think this harbour town is waist deep and sinking fast

5 - Overall Defense - It's so hard to say much about the defense considering our opponent. However, if you look at the fundamentals, there's a lot to be hopeful for. First off, these guys looked like they knew what they were doing on every play. No confusion, no pointing at each other, only one blown coverage. For the first game of the season with so many new starters, it was very inspiring. My only real concern was the amount of plays we allowed over the middle. Maybe that was the zone we were willing to give up, who knows, but it's my one criticism. We get a better pass rush going and I like where this defense is going.

6 - Tyrod Unleashed? - Was that what this game was because it seemed like typical TT, except he found Clay and the middle of the field a lot more. While those are big jumps forward from last year, I'm getting concerned with the lack of assertiveness on offense. I think he bailed on a few plays too early and doesn't trust the first read. This comment is about preseason and I know that means very little: When Peterman started his game, he was dropping back 2-3 steps and just firing. He trusted the play and it went fairly well. I would like to see some more plays like that from TT. Just keeping the defense on their heals and get the ball out quickly. I feel like he sometimes waits for the play to develop a little too long and the defense reacts and covers his first read. I'm not in his head and I don't know the play calls, but I just don't feel that level of authority with him that you see with other QB's.

With that being said, Clay makes one more catch and he has a great stat line, with a healthy combination of passing and rushing. He made some good throw-aways on broken plays and you never felt like he was going to lose the game. My worry for TT is that we will see this from him all season and it won't be enough for him to allow the team to pass on drafting a QB or giving Peterman a shot. Fair or not, he's playing for his career in Buffalo and everyone knows that. This is coming from someone who usually prays at the COT.

7 - McCoy - Let's bring that appreciation back for a guy named Shady. Does this guy just love the game or what? The way he fights, takes every carry, and what he makes out of nothing sometimes is just impressive. I hope he can give us a complete season because I think he's going to have a special year. But please Shady, protect the ball when you are cowboying it out there. You scared the crap out of me with that one play where you were holding it out in the open with one hand. I love you, but tuck it in.

8 - McDermott - Anyone have a head scratching moment this game? Maybe a moment where you wished they'd challenge, didn't a play in on time, call a play that made you throw something? No? Me either. Feels good doesn't it? I also liked that they introduced the team as a whole as a sign of solidarity. Let's not also ignore the overall lack of penalties this game. HUGE difference from the preseason and last season. Let's keep that going.

9 - Remember the extra 10 points - You can't put a lot of stock into shoulda, coulda, woulda's, but we easily could have been up 10 more points by half. While the score made it look a lot closer at times, I don't think anyone was ever worried about the outcome. A lot of great teams struggled to put weaker teams away today. Atlanta and Pittsburgh easily could have lost today. We did what we were supposed to and put these guys away. We can't always say that. Enjoy it for what it was.

10 - Matthews - For all that is holy in the world, TUCK IN YOUR DAMN JERSEY! I don't know why this bothered me so much and I'm sorry to waste a point on it, but it drove me nuts. With that, he's a big boy and had a great RAC play. I look forward to seeing what he can do this season.

All right folks, that'll do it. 1-0 and first place in the division. I look forward to the season with you all and I promise a special guest review by Bill this season. I hope everyone had a good day and I'll see you all next week!

I didn't like my shirt tucked in either, restricted my movement.

Also loved the Matthews catch and run. I was surprised at how big that guys is, and he was running hard and fast - I like the cut of this guy's jib and could see him becoming a fan favorite.

He's good. The guy I see becoming a fan favorite is Tolbert.

That guy is fun to watch when he gets a head of steam.

The way he left the field, Gaines looked dislocated. Hope it's not serious.

The biggest change was that there didn't seem to be confusion. And though there were penalties, none were conduct/judgment penalties that were the signature of the Ryan era. And none of the 3rd and drive extending variety that were also so common over the last few years. This team is not playoff caliber but it's interesting to see McDermott's style.

Edited by BeginnersMind

He's good. The guy I see becoming a fan favorite is Tolbert.

That guy is fun to watch when he gets a head of steam.

Under normal circumstances I believe they would be but since they are both linked to the departures of Watkins and the legendary JAG Jwill, they will be viewed with skepticism from a portion of the fanbase.

Wasn't a fan of the conservative play calling by McDermott in the 4th, that was my only problem with him. Besides that, was a good win!

Ehh, they did what they had to do to win the game. You have to consider the opponent and they weren't going to take any big chances late in the game. Have to think it would of been different if they were playing against a more high caliber offense.