A few thought about the Jets game. In no particular order

Virgil

Happy Bills opening day everyone! No matter what your expectations are for this upcoming season, it's great to have Bills football back because at the end of the day, isn't that why we are all here? Great weather for those who attended. I watched from the family house and got to listen WGR on the drive home. Seems like the consensus thought is that it wasn't a pretty game, we could have scored more, but it's nice to start the season with a new regime with a win and get some experience under our belts. With that being said...

1 - Rushing Attack - It was great to see the rushing attack pick up where it left off last year, even though the zone run scheme is slightly different. A lot more under center snaps and less sweep runs with cuts to the inside. It seemed must more straight forward which didn't work all the time, but still overall effective. I was very surprised to see us rush to the right side so often, when our strength is typically to our left. Maybe the swapping out of Glenn and Dawkins had something to do with it. And Incognito didn't have his best game with a few penalties. Overall, you have to like the end result and Tolbert looked fantastic as a charging bull. Would like to see more from Demarco with the money we paid for him as I didn't see him make any huge blocks, but I wasn't watching him as much as I could have.

2 - Defensive Line - I don't like talking about the defensive line too much because we never know as fans what their assignments are. I doubt they were afraid of McCown scrambling and the run game for the Jets wasn't that great, so I'm assuming they were trying to get after the quarterback. With that in mind, I was a little disappointed by our front 4. While they were good against the run, they really didn't generate much pressure. Even when we sent a few more, we didn't exactly scare McCown. Our defense was overall very good, but I worry about what our lack of pressure will do against a real offense in coming weeks.

3 - Poyer - Can we just appreciate how fast and aggressive this guy played? He was all over the field. I was really worried about the Safety position going into the season but this kid was fantastic. He was blitzing, he was tracking guys down out of the backfield, fighting for interceptions, basically just being a beast. I look forward to see more from this kid.

4 - Another night at the Palace

'cause there is nothing else to do.
The same people, the same drinks and the same music,
the same quicksand
I think this harbour town is waist deep and sinking fast

5 - Overall Defense - It's so hard to say much about the defense considering our opponent. However, if you look at the fundamentals, there's a lot to be hopeful for. First off, these guys looked like they knew what they were doing on every play. No confusion, no pointing at each other, only one blown coverage. For the first game of the season with so many new starters, it was very inspiring. My only real concern was the amount of plays we allowed over the middle. Maybe that was the zone we were willing to give up, who knows, but it's my one criticism. We get a better pass rush going and I like where this defense is going.

6 - Tyrod Unleashed? - Was that what this game was because it seemed like typical TT, except he found Clay and the middle of the field a lot more. While those are big jumps forward from last year, I'm getting concerned with the lack of assertiveness on offense. I think he bailed on a few plays too early and doesn't trust the first read. This comment is about preseason and I know that means very little: When Peterman started his game, he was dropping back 2-3 steps and just firing. He trusted the play and it went fairly well. I would like to see some more plays like that from TT. Just keeping the defense on their heals and get the ball out quickly. I feel like he sometimes waits for the play to develop a little too long and the defense reacts and covers his first read. I'm not in his head and I don't know the play calls, but I just don't feel that level of authority with him that you see with other QB's.

With that being said, Clay makes one more catch and he has a great stat line, with a healthy combination of passing and rushing. He made some good throw-aways on broken plays and you never felt like he was going to lose the game. My worry for TT is that we will see this from him all season and it won't be enough for him to allow the team to pass on drafting a QB or giving Peterman a shot. Fair or not, he's playing for his career in Buffalo and everyone knows that. This is coming from someone who usually prays at the COT.

7 - McCoy - Let's bring that appreciation back for a guy named Shady. Does this guy just love the game or what? The way he fights, takes every carry, and what he makes out of nothing sometimes is just impressive. I hope he can give us a complete season because I think he's going to have a special year. But please Shady, protect the ball when you are cowboying it out there. You scared the crap out of me with that one play where you were holding it out in the open with one hand. I love you, but tuck it in.

8 - McDermott - Anyone have a head scratching moment this game? Maybe a moment where you wished they'd challenge, didn't a play in on time, call a play that made you throw something? No? Me either. Feels good doesn't it? I also liked that they introduced the team as a whole as a sign of solidarity. Let's not also ignore the overall lack of penalties this game. HUGE difference from the preseason and last season. Let's keep that going.

9 - Remember the extra 10 points - You can't put a lot of stock into shoulda, coulda, woulda's, but we easily could have been up 10 more points by half. While the score made it look a lot closer at times, I don't think anyone was ever worried about the outcome. A lot of great teams struggled to put weaker teams away today. Atlanta and Pittsburgh easily could have lost today. We did what we were supposed to and put these guys away. We can't always say that. Enjoy it for what it was.

10 - Matthews - For all that is holy in the world, TUCK IN YOUR DAMN JERSEY! I don't know why this bothered me so much and I'm sorry to waste a point on it, but it drove me nuts. With that, he's a big boy and had a great RAC play. I look forward to seeing what he can do this season.

All right folks, that'll do it. 1-0 and first place in the division. I look forward to the season with you all and I promise a special guest review by Bill this season. I hope everyone had a good day and I'll see you all next week!

Edited by Virgil

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought there was some stuff that helped TT like designed roll outs

I also like how he threw the ball away if it was not there

He had some good passes today....I remember people comeplaining when he had passing stat lines of 150 yards last year even in a win....today he had well over 200 yards to go along with over 40 yards rushing and some good over the middle throws

And there were receivers who didnt even receive that much work today....Zay Jones.....O'Leary........

Point 9 is so important to keep in mind. Atlanta barely beat "just the Bears" today. They won by 6 and Bryant had 3 FGs (9 points) including a 48 yarder. There are no easy wins in the NFL and the playoff standings don't care how much you win by. Especially divisional games which historically end up closer than people expect.

The only aspect that truly frustrated me was the Run Run Pass Punt offensve rut they got into. Oh, and that those runs were to overwhelmingl to the right.

100 percent agree. Reminded me of the Jauron days..

Point 9 is so important to keep in mind. Atlanta barely beat "just the Bears" today. They won by 6 and Bryant had 3 FGs (9 points) including a 48 yarder. There are no easy wins in the NFL and the playoff standings don't care how much you win by. Especially divisional games which historically end up closer than people expect.

True, but Atlanta is a dome team going on the road against a younger somewhat promising bears team. The bills were at home and played by far the worst team in the NFL

I thought the Jets were intentionally trying not to win with that punt at the end of the game...down only 2 scores with 4 min to play and they punt near mid field...just seemed a little too obvious to me.

I thought the same thing, as absurd as that is. I just can't see any team intentionally doing that. But how do you punt in that situation?

100 percent agree. Reminded me of the Jauron days..

True, but Atlanta is a dome team going on the road against a younger somewhat promising bears team. The bills were at home and played by far the worst team in the NFL

Falcons are the same team as last year. Bills had some of the highest turnover in the league and players like Tyrod and Jordan Matthews not practicing for weeks. We missed a FG and a dropped pass led to a pick on what should have been a TD. Taken all together we have nothing to be concerned about, no more than any other team that won anyways.

Overall it was a very positive game for the Bills. The rushing attack looked great. The defense looked very good. The passing offense had its moments and it was good to see him hit Clay over the middle. I think Taylor is doing everything he can to help the team, including running the ball well, but I still don't see him getting through progressions. That's what's holding the team back right now. He's got to find his second and third options instead of locking onto his primary and then running if that's not there.

Falcons are the same team as last year. Bills had some of the highest turnover in the league and players like Tyrod and Jordan Matthews not practicing for weeks. We missed a FG and a dropped pass led to a pick on what should have been a TD. Taken all together we have nothing to be concerned about, no more than any other team that won anyways.

I know, but part of my point was Atlanta was never really a great road team. And to win on the road on opening week is even more difficult to do. I do think they are slightly worse as the loss of kyle shanahan will be big. But regarding the bills, I will give them credit where credit is due, they outplayed a team and won. But beating the Jets shouldn't really be too much of an accomplishment as the Jets are in store for a 1 to 3 win season I think

I thought the same thing, as absurd as that is. I just can't see any team intentionally doing that. But how do you punt in that situation?

Not intentional; Bowles is the worst clock manager in the NFL.

Hence why he punts down 9 and then calls 3 timeouts on the ensuing drive