A few thought about the Jets game. In no particular order

Virgil

Too conservative down the stretch

TT threw with anticipation and towards the middle of the field early and often. He did more of this as the season progressed last year and he looks like he took a tiny step forward. He played very well. Can he sustain it? I don't know. Would I take 32 TD and 16 picks or 24 TD and 8 picks? I don't know either. All I know is once again he made more than enough plays to win the game.

Right side of the line still looks terrible

The new defensive backfield was solid though this may be their easiest test of the season. Safety play appears mcuh better than last year. I would still like to see A. Williams signed to play a third safety/CB hybrid role. Future opponents will spread them out and attack the secondary

Schmidt was terrible

As you can't see the entire field on TV, I have no idea if there were open WR downfield or if there were even that many deep routes called. So all I will say is they need to get Jones and Mathews involved earlier. Like or dislike TT, everyone knows teams will stack the line in an attempt to stop the run. So either call more misdirection TT runs or call more deep balls. That is the only way to get the defense out of the box.

As for 2018 draft, it will be DT and LB in the first round.

Mcd will look to replace Preston and Marcel next year. I see Kyle retiring and maybe Adolphous replacing him.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills looked OK. They won a game they should have won comfortably but they made a couple of critical mistakes that allowed a Jets team that is vastly inferior to them hang around much longer than they should have. Tyrod's near disastrous pick early in the game is what set the team back and prevented them from building a bigger lead. But the Bills certainly played much better the rest of the way eventually putting the Jets away with that third TD.

But the defense played well, it certainly was a strong performance overall from the unit. The Jets could rush the ball much at all and their passing attack only got going on 2-3 drives with limited success outside of the scoring drive. Special teams was decent although the missed kick certainly stings as making that could have made things much more comfortable for the team.

Overall the game went as I suspected. The Bills won but let the Jets hang around a bit longer than they should have. The schedule doesn't get any easier so getting this first win is critical to any hope this season holds. Get the W you should have gotten and then hopefully learn from your mistakes and tighten things up for the coming weeks.

You didnt watch the game. The int hit clay in the hands. Thats not on Tyrod as much as uou state it is.

You didnt watch the game. The int hit clay in the hands. Thats not on Tyrod as much as uou state it is.

It was high and behind him a bit. Not an easy catch at all, but clay could have done more with it and it shouldn't have been an INT

Looked great?

Not nearly as good as last year. They had a few nice runs but I wasn't all that impressed with the ground game. Too many stuffs/tackles for losses/1 yard gains. Maybe I'm spoiled from the last two years of great rushing attacks. That said, Tolbert actually looked decent.

Tyrod was Tyrod outside of one turnover that may or may not have been on him. I like Tyrods game. Always have.

Poyer was impressive. Tre White was as well.

Take it all with a huge grain of salt. It's the Jets. They are gunnin for #1 overall.

Yea. Still thinking 5 to 6 wins this year.

You are reaching. The jets defense still pretty well inplace stone walled buffalo's rushing attack the last 2 years. Two years ago shady went over 100 on thursday night but that was it.

It was high and behind him a bit. Not an easy catch at all, but clay could have done more with it and it shouldn't have been an INT

Not a perfect throw, but it was certainly an easy catch for an allegedly top-shelf TE. That catch gets made by the Greg Olsens of the world. Clay is a solid player, though, and I'm willing to give him a mulligan for this game.

Under normal circumstances I believe they would be but since they are both linked to the departures of Watkins and the legendary JAG Jwill, they will be viewed with skepticism from a portion of the fanbase.

I thought that JWill would have got more yards on the exact same carries that Tolbert got. Once or maybe twice he takes it to the house with the huge hole to the left side. Tolbert was fine but he got gaping holes to run rough and his lack of speed and shiftiness is evidence. He's shifty for his body frame, but he's not shifty for an NFL RB.

I thought that JWill would have got more yards on the exact same carries that Tolbert got. Once or maybe twice he takes it to the house with the huge hole to the left side. Tolbert was fine but he got gaping holes to run rough and his lack of speed and shiftiness is evidence. He's shifty for his body frame, but he's not shifty for an NFL RB.

I still don't understand the Williams cut. It's not that he is a prime player or that it is going to have a major impact but the move was perplexing. Tolbert is more of a straight line power runner with no wiggle. Williams had more versatility to his game. I thought he could have been an asset and good backup.

Not a perfect throw, but it was certainly an easy catch for an allegedly top-shelf TE. That catch gets made by the Greg Olsens of the world. Clay is a solid player, though, and I'm willing to give him a mulligan for this game.

He doesn't have the best hands or RAC ability, but Clay has one thing that this team needs badly: he gets open; really open. Tyrod needs that.

I still don't understand the Williams cut. It's not that he is a prime player or that it is going to have a major impact but the move was perplexing. Tolbert is more of a straight line power runner with no wiggle. Williams had more versatility to his game. I thought he could have been an asset and good backup.

We didn't see him in practice. May have had serious issues with pass protection or ball security. Could be anything.

Point 9 is so important to keep in mind. Atlanta barely beat "just the Bears" today. They won by 6 and Bryant had 3 FGs (9 points) including a 48 yarder. There are no easy wins in the NFL and the playoff standings don't care how much you win by. Especially divisional games which historically end up closer than people expect.

I agree and for as much as we have been knocking Jauron for his "it's hard to win in the NFL" quote I think it's safe to say he was spot on.

He doesn't have the best hands or RAC ability, but Clay has one thing that this team needs badly: he gets open; really open. Tyrod needs that.

In future games the wide receivers need to get more open because defenses are going to crowd Clay. Our passing game is relatively basic. And because our offense is run-centric the defenses are going to stack the line. TT played within himself and did it very well. But as the season advances his limitations will become more acute and evident.

Not overly excited about a win we were suppose to win easily. In my opinion everyone was expecting them to cover the spread and if they were a better team they would have completely destroyed the Jests but they didnt. Next game is a little better game to judge this teams current state for the season, still don't see more then 5 or 6 wins this season.

Edited by xRUSHx

I thought the Jets were intentionally trying not to win with that punt at the end of the game...down only 2 scores with 4 min to play and they punt near mid field...just seemed a little too obvious to me.

No, Bowles did what almost every other NFL coach would do in that situation. NFL coaches don't believe in percentages and statistics.

No, Bowles did what almost every other NFL coach would do in that situation. NFL coaches don't believe in percentages and statistics.

No way...I think that 75% of NFL coaches would recognize that--down 9 points with less than 5 minutes to do--you need to go for it in that situation.

In future games the wide receivers need to get more open because defenses are going to crowd Clay. Our passing game is relatively basic. And because our offense is run-centric the defenses are going to stack the line. TT played within himself and did it very well. But as the season advances his limitations will become more acute and evident.

Absolutely.

Though I will say that the WRs did a pretty solid job of getting open yesterday. There were more than a few occasions where someone was open for a big-gainer and Tyrod simply didn't see him.

That decision, to me, seemed like it was made with an eye towards the marching orders from the front office: don't try too hard to win.

One thing we don't know is what the ownership really thinks about Bowles as a coach. It would seem completely heinous to gut the team, tell him not to win (the tank is on) and then fire him at the end of the brutal season.

Not that he has looked that great of a coach, but still...