Bills "can't wait to unleash Tyrod Taylor"

HappyDays

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the culture they are building is wrong?

I'm sure just about EVERY team in the NFL would love to have Watkins.

If that were true, then the Bils would have gotten a lot more for Watkins. The Bills' front office is not as clueless as you want to believe. They understand that when healthy he is a tremendous talent, but they also recognized that the injury risk is significant and that the Bills do not have a QB that can effectively take advantage of his skills.

If he turns into a superhero in LA, it does not mean that he would have reached those levels in Buffalo with Tyrod.

Self-awareness is important.

I am a skeptic on Taylor, but I am rooting for him and hope I am pleasantly surprised.

I certainly expect Taylor will look significantly better than the pre-season.

Still feel bad he doesn't have Sammy to throw to.

This is exactly where I am. Talor isn't horrible, but he hasn't shown that he can really elevate a team. Objectively, if he were a FA, there would be very few teams truly interested in signing him to be a long-term starter.

This is all well, and good. But, I'm not sure there is a more pedestrian WR corp in the league. They haven't exactly set TT up for success in that regard-- at least looking at it from the outside. I predict a lot of dropped balls this season.

We have yet to see what Matthews brings to the team. FWIW, Eagles fans loved the guy but the consensus among them is that he's a solid receiver, does everything well but he's not great.

I liked what I saw from him on some youtube videos, we shall see on Sunday how things work out.

Edited by Fixxxer

I know it's a tough decision to accept but I do trust McBeane on this. Sammy did not fit the culture they're trying to build. He complained publicly to the media about his targets and talked about raising the bar for receiver contracts. That's not the type of player McBeane wants here and he has injury issues that are possibly going to creep up again.

Agreed, Watkins had a poor record with injuries. No one was sure he'd ever deliver a full season's worth of games. Also, people believed the Bills wouldn't be able to sign him next year anyway. Dumping him now got a decent return. If they waited they may have gotten much less. So there were legit reasons to trade him whether you supported the deal or not.

But could we please lay off the idea anyone the Bills don't want is "culturally" deficient? Yes, Watkins has a trace of wide receiver diva in him - something only glimpsed in one or two interviews a year. But just the slightest trace - and at a level which barely compares with his more egocentric peers. But aside from that, who ever heard a complaint about him as a professional or teammate? He started and ended last season playing on a broken foot. Wasn't that evidence of "culture"? This meme has now reached the point where Jonathan Williams is cut and people immediately decide it was because of his moral deficiency. Ron Darby was traded and suddenly Peter King at SI writes it was because Darby "hadn't bought into the new administration." There was no explanation of this statement; there were no examples given to illustrate it; there was no hint of this supposed problem before the trade; there wasn't a single bit of reporting on this "issue" until Darby was safely out of the state.

Darby and Watkins were dumped for draft picks. Beane and McDermott are betting it all on the '18 draft. But they're big boys. They don't need us inventing reasons for their decisions.

Edited by grb

I've been crossing my fingers all preseason, hoping this would be the case.

We should know for sure on Sunday.

The offense we saw during August does not fit Tyrod Taylor's strengths.

If this article rings true, the Bills were forcing Taylor to work on his areas of weakness during the preseason. They were forcing him to work under center, because he struggles there. They were forcing him to stay in the pocket, because they didn't want him scrambling.

I would like to think that they were just practicing what they suck at too. That would be the smart thing to do. Looking forward to Sunday to see what this team has. I honestly think we could be pleasantly surprised, but then it was just the Jets. So if they do win convincingly, we will have to wait until the Panthers game to get a feel for the team.

While true people will use the defense as the reason TT doesn't have a better W/L record.

We will have out answers in about 44 hour.

They were 28 & 24 DVOA the last 2 years so they certainly weren't helping. I still blame Rex for more than anything over the last two years. He is the unquestioned reason for what went wrong the last 2 years. Edited by Kirby Jackson