What would the Bills have to do against the Jets....

GunnerBill

Something like a 42-3 win, with the offense moving the ball and scoring at will, would make me really re-think things. The Jets are really, really bad overall, but I think they'll still have at least a pretty good D this year, even without Sheldon Richardson. And I'm very worried about our O. So if we look like worldbeaters, I'll feel like maybe there's something there, even though it's "just the Jets".

Defensively, there is absolutely nothing the Bills can do to raise my expectations. They could stop every play for a loss and/or force a turnover every play and it wouldn't move the needle at all. Now, if the Jets come out and score 20+ or put up like 400 yards of offense, I'll actually get really worried about our D.

I expect us to win something like a 13-7 game. Maybe a long Bilal Powell run is the only offensive touchdown.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The diference is that the Jets actually have a very good D.

I will feel much better if we keep them from scoring more than 14 points and we score more than 24 (Offence that is). I want to see at least 24 poinst earned with the O, even if it is a short field.

Average D. I wouldn't say very good.

...to make you feel better about their long term prospects this season?

Most people seem to think the Bills will open with a win on Sunday but what would they have to do to make you think "man that was impressive even against a bad team?"

Would scoring 40 do it?

Holding the Jets to a doughnut?

Something else?

Or are you in the camp that says no win on Sunday tells you anything and the season starts for real in Carolina week 2?

A win would be good, but not an good indication of success against other opponents. I am not one who even believes that the Bills are any kind of lock to beat the Jets.

Its a very intreging matchup. Their defense isnt terrible. Dennison to call his first game for his first offense. I expect to see taylor on the edge much more this year in designed move of the pocket scenerios. This should help him. The jets secondary is suspect. If Buffalo isnt able to take advantage we could very well be in for another mindling year.

Edited by Mat68

I'll be impressed if the Bills dominate the Jets handily.

* Move the ball against them at will on the ground and through the air.

* Stop the Jet's offense by keeping them out of the red zone

* Create turnovers.

* Beat the Jets by a minimum of 10 points with the game never being in question after the first quarter

Other things that would impress me:

* Make the Jet's QB a scared man constantly running for his life and throwing the ball early under duress

* Holding the Jets to less than 100 yards rushing combined

* Holding the Jets to less than 200 yards passing combined

* Forcing lots of 3 and outs - back to back

* 5 or more sacks

* Multiple coverage sacks because the QB couldn't find an open receiver (really doubt this will happen)

* 2 or more interceptions by the Bills' secondary

* Seeing Tyrod complete a number of timing passes to any receivers where the receivers catch the ball in stride and run with it.

* Seeing Shady be extremely productive in the screen game

* Seeing any running back other than Shady rush for over a 5 YPC average on more than 5 runs.

I suppose I could go on and on.

It would be hard, darn near impossible not to come away impressed if the Bills do all of the above.

Personally, to see the Bills dominate in all three phases of the game would be enough to make me come away impressed, and the reason why is:

With all of our glaring weaknesses, our depth at certain positions, and the fact we are running a completely new offense, we are STILL favored heavily against the Jets. With that said, I do believe we will win, but I do not think it will be a blowout. In fact, I think we will struggle against the Jets. Even with the loss of Richardson, this is a defense that is still solid. So, to win this game, and win it handily will impress me. But to dominate in all three phases will show me that this team is much more sound, and well-balanced than I imagined, and wouldn't just be a reflection of good play, but just as important, it would be a reflection of good, sound coaching. And that would give me a reason to be hopeful for this season.

So when we beat the 49ers last year you thought we were good?

Everyone thought the Bills were good after that win. It was all a win in Miami next week then a showdown in Buffalo with the Pats for the division.

Jets dink and dunk all day to 24 points.

First year coaching, penalties, and an offense that doesn't fit the QB will be lucky to score 6.

Sunday could easily be an awful day for Bills fans.

Everyone thought the Bills were good after that win. It was all a win in Miami next week then a showdown in Buffalo with the Pats for the division.

Jets dink and dunk all day to 24 points.

First year coaching, penalties, and an offense that doesn't fit the QB will be lucky to score 6.

Sunday could easily be an awful day for Bills fans.

I agree with most of what u say here except for the part about "Everyone" thinking that the Bills were good last year. I, and many others that I know, thought the Bills sucked last year from early on. Many of us thought the Bills butchered last years draft for example. And subsequent events proved us to be right.

If the Jets are SO putrid as many of us believe, than beating them by any margin is simply irrelevant. The Bills could easily be 1-4 by their Bye week. That is a very real possibility in my estimation. So enjoy the game if they manage to win (by whatever score it happens to be) but keep in mind the meaninglessness of that one win, if they lose the next four...

....stout defense, returning to pre-Wrecks form and Dennison calling a balance offense......150 yards rushing & 250 yards passing so we can begin to see where TT may be throughout 2017......27-14 Buffalo....we need to get back to the "old days" of dominatng our barn..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

There's not much the Bills can do against the Jets that would change my current opinion about the season. (If the bills win 55-0, Tyrod throws for 400+ yards and McCoy runs for 100+ then maybe.. But aside from something crazy it would probably take the Bills starting 2-0 or 3-0 before I'd start to reconsider where I think this team is headed this season.) The Jets are probably the worst team in the NFL, which is saying a lot because there are some pretty bad teams on paper this year!

i think this is one of those games where if the bills lose, people are going to complain, and if the bills win, people are still going to complain.

so...just be ready for the complaining on monday.

Losing this game would make things a lot worse. And make season look in doubt.

Win i'd say let's look what happens next week.