If the Colts really suck, would they trade Luck to Buffalo?

BADOLBILZ

I *totally* disagree with you about Bledsoe's career. We'll just have to agree to disagree about him. As for QBs taking their teams to the playoffs and SB in those years: Aikman, Young, Elway, and Favre leap immediately to mind. Christ, Mark Brunell was a better QB than Bledsoe by practically every statistical measure (including postseason) except yardage output/games played, and they played in the same era.

Aikman, Young and Elway were all retired.

Take a look at those championship QB's for 5 years post Elway......a pretty deep list of nobodies and Brady wasn't Brady back then either........a heavyweight QB matchup like Dilfer versus Kerry Collins in a SB is a feat we will likely never see again. :flirt:

You weren't almost totally dead in the water without a good QB back then.........you are now.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aikman, Young and Elway were all retired.

Take a look at those championship QB's for 5 years post Elway......a pretty deep list of nobodies and Brady wasn't Brady back then either........a heavyweight QB matchup like Dilfer versus Kerry Collins in a SB is a feat we will likely never see again. :flirt:

You weren't almost totally dead in the water without a good QB back then.........you are now.

Huh? All of those guys were playing in Bledsoe's best years. It's not arguable. Bledsoe never had a good season after 1997 except for the first half of 2002. He was league average in 1998, to be fair. Basically, the daylight between DB and Jim Everett is really meager, as I say above.

Edited by dave mcbride

Huh? All of those guys were playing in Bledsoe's best years. It's not arguable. Bledsoe never had a good season after 1997 except for the first half of 2002. He was league average in 1998, to be fair. Basically, the daylight between DB and Jim Everett is really meager, as I say above.

Drew Bledsoe signed the richest contract in NFL history in 2001.......this is the timeline we are talking about....not Bledsoe of 1995.........those QB's were out of the picture dave and the league was HURTING for QB's.

I don't care IN THE LEAST about whether Bledsoe was actually on some great trajectory......again, not worth arguing........but AT THE TIME it was believed he was going to play for a LONG TIME yet and stack up some gaudy career passing statistics.

The perception of Bledsoe changed quite significantly THAT season when Brady took the same team that was middling with Bledsoe and game-managed it to SB contention.

Before that the lack of talent in NE was heavily blamed for a couple down seasons.........hence getting the richest contract ever despite a couple meh seasons.

And part of the argument regarding trading Luck is the relationship between Luck and Irsay.......Irsay loves him some Andrew Luck......but Kraft saw Bledsoe like another son.......so there is another parallel in that regard.

The contract Luck signed with the Colts will prevent them from trading him as that will crush their Salary cap for the next few years. The Colts are paying for having Manning on their roster and paying him ransom money. It did not allow them to put better quality players at other positions. The same goes in New Orleans...and it will soon follow in Atlanta and Detroit.

The folks in Pittsburgh, Seattle and New England know how to manage their QB Salary.

Drew Bledsoe signed the richest contract in NFL history in 2001.......this is the timeline we are talking about....not Bledsoe of 1995.........those QB's were out of the picture dave and the league was HURTING for QB's.

I don't care IN THE LEAST about whether Bledsoe was actually on some great trajectory......again, not worth arguing........but AT THE TIME it was believed he was going to play for a LONG TIME yet and stack up some gaudy career passing statistics.

The perception of Bledsoe changed quite significantly THAT season when Brady took the same team that was middling with Bledsoe and game-managed it to SB contention.

Before that the lack of talent in NE was heavily blamed for a couple down seasons.........hence getting the richest contract ever despite a couple meh seasons.

And part of the argument regarding trading Luck is the relationship between Luck and Irsay.......Irsay loves him some Andrew Luck......but Kraft saw Bledsoe like another son.......so there is another parallel in that regard.

Perception v. Reality -- I know which side I'm on. I also suspect that I know which side you're in, old friend, after two decades of engagement. :) Edited by dave mcbride

Bear with me as I play a little Madden here, but with the rumor that Luck's camp was pushing for a trade, it got me thinking...

We have a lot of ammo to use. What if we wanted to at least float an offer?

Would you go all picks and give them our 2 1sts and a 2nd?

What about Dareus and the Bills 1st? Swap contracts...

What about Dareus, Tyrod, and KC's 1st? They get a qb to fill in, we can let Peterman start until after the Bye. Or heck the rest of the season.

I know, I know, it's crazy. Is Dareus for Luck the new Mario for Skelton? B-)

I may be in the vast minority here, but I see Luck as a bust. He may flourish if given another chance very soon in a new environment, but I don't see much showing that is safe enough to sink a 1st into such an experiment. The Colts franchise is teetering on the cliff over long-term basement dwelling. They went all in on Luck and have zilch to show for it now.

I may be in the vast minority here, but I see Luck as a bust. He may flourish if given another chance very soon in a new environment, but I don't see much showing that is safe enough to sink a 1st into such an experiment. The Colts franchise is teetering on the cliff over long-term basement dwelling. They went all in on Luck and have zilch to show for it now.

So it sounds like you hate their gm, not luck. That luck keeps them even remotely competitive is a testament to his skill. If they decide to move on and take a rookie luck will be remembered much like brees- and likewise win a ring wherever he lands.

So it sounds like you hate their gm, not luck. That luck keeps them even remotely competitive is a testament to his skill. If they decide to move on and take a rookie luck will be remembered much like brees- and likewise win a ring wherever he lands.

I would give up one of our first round picks, one of our second round picks, one of our third round picks and the rest of the draft and add Dareus to the deal. I would also include the following year's first round pick for Luck. The caveat is whether he is healthy. If that deal can be made I would then walk away and visit the local bar and treat everyone to a drink for the glorious heist.

I don't think he's a bust, but I wouldn't be very excited if he came here either, especially at the price it would cost. Mostly because of all the injuries, but honestly I've never been a big fan.