Tropical Storm Irma - In Atlanta

CountDorkula

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I was one of the reporters who have to stand outside during all of this, I'd find a way to throw a baseball. Yeah, I know it's next to impossible to stand and they'd fall flat on their face, but damnit, I'd try to throw the fastest pitch of my life.

I'm in Marietta and it has been raining all day but not too windy. Winds just started picking up within the past half hour.

I'm around the Vinings and our friends are about to pull out and head back to Sarasota, FL. Storm running NW as they head south, they will hit nice weather before too long.

Ive never seen so many people on the web throughout a supposedly massive hurricane!

It's an entirely different kind of hurricane.

My sister evacuated from the Martin County area to NC where my niece lives. She is traveling back this very moment. I was getting text play by play from Savannah on down. Good thing it is dark I told here... Worry less to what you are getting back to. She lives on an island... Ooops!

I picked a bad week to live on a barrier island.

Hi everybody!!!

Even though the weather geniuses had Irma staying away from my area(just north of Orlando), it turns out what was left of Irma's eyewall went directly over my neighborhood between 2:15-2:50AM!

I've lived in Florida since I was 4, and have been through many storms over the years, but that was some of the scariest 35 minutes of my life for sure....I've never heard the wind howl like that in any of the previous storms I've faced.

This was preceded by what I believe was one of the many tornadoes spawned by Irma that passed just a few streets away from me, which knocked down two huge Oak trees crushing the power lines down the street, and knocking out power at 8:00PM on Sunday night.

Despite the fact that I didn't lose a single shingle on my house or tree on my property through 100mph winds from a tornado, and 115mph wind gusts in Irma's eyewall, my power was not restored until 7:00PM on Thursday. Four days of hell!!!

It was a tough ordeal, but I know many of my fellow Floridians have it way worse than me, and I am hoping all Floridians will be back to their normal lives as soon as possible.

Thought this was interesting. I was googling the island of Barbuda and Barbados. This is the first time in 300 years that the island of Barbuda is not inhabited by 1 single person. Also interesting factoid while reading about Barbados, in the early mid and middle 1600's, white people, usually Irish descent were shanghaied from England and sold as slaves in Barbados. They estimate about 7500 Irish people were sold as slaves.

Thought this was interesting. I was googling the island of Barbuda and Barbados. This is the first time in 300 years that the island of Barbuda is not inhabited by 1 single person. Also interesting factoid while reading about Barbados, in the early mid and middle 1600's, white people, usually Irish descent were shanghaied from England and sold as slaves in Barbados. They estimate about 7500 Irish people were sold as slaves.

So, those memes I see on facebook about Irish slaves are actually true. That doesn't happen often!

I guess wikipedia might be questionable. Found this article about Facebook Memes

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/us/irish-slaves-myth.html?mcubz=0

Thanks. Interesting info. And, Facebook memes are back to zero being true that I know of. LOL.................We learned about indentured servitude in grammar school - and also about slavery and the two were never the same.

Thanks for setting me straight before I started spouting off!