8-31: Brandon Beane Interviews on WGR and WKBW

8-31: Bills GM Brandon Beane on JMS.mp3 (14:39)

@JoeBuscaglia

Brandon Beane had some glaring words about Marcell Dareus. 5 takeaways from my 1-on-1 interview with the #Bills GM:http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-5-takeaways-from-1-on-1-interview-with-buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-83117

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the most interesting part for me:

3) Bills trying to force the pocket on Tyrod in preseason

- I am one of many that have pointed out that in the preseason, Taylor just doesnt look comfortable from the pocket when dropping back from being under center. Its interesting, because, on the surface, it appears that the Bills are setting Taylor up to fail by not calling plays that are best for his skill-set. However, as we come to find out from Beane, that was the plan for the preseason games to get their starting quarterback the work he needs in becoming a better pocket passer and for them, a better chance at finding their answer on Tyrod Taylor:

I think you guys have heard me say it, making plays from the pocket -- I think we've tried to force that on him and work on that, and I think he's gotten better. I think he'll be better prepared. We know he can move around, the boots, the waggles, all that stuff -- you know, the zone reads. We know he can do that and we'll definitely plan to use that in the season. But, I think in practice you've been able to see the improvement in the pocket and even some plays in the game.

This reminds me of when Ronald Darby was a rookie for the Bills. Rex Ryan and the defensive coaches wanted to expose Darby to a lot of different things he wasnt comfortable with a trial by fire sort of approach to get him ready and more confident in some of the weak areas of his game ahead of the regular season. It worked that season, as Darby had a great campaign in just his first year. Thats the hope here for Taylor, who the Bills will likely utilize by moving him around because thats where hes best. However, the Bills have made it quite clear that being able to throw from the pocket is their top priority for a franchise quarterback. This will be the biggest way Taylor can prove to the Bills, when hes healthy, that he can be the player theyve been looking for. It really cant get any more simple than that.

They'll put more of Tyrod's bread and butter plays in the real offense. That makes me feel better.

Beane (asked if Marcell has bought in): “You know, I don't know. Time will tell. It was disappointing as I said, after that game. He was contrite (Sunday) and said the right things. Actions speak louder than words, and you know, time will tell. Hopefully, he is. We hope he'll play to his potential. We know what kind of player he can be. We hope to see that on the field.”

Will the Bills part ways with Marcell if he does not buy in? “Yeah, any player that's not buying in, we'll find a way to move on without him.”

Beane can do whatever he wants when the team starts winning.

Until then I'd stop trading/releasing the best players on the team.

Actually, he appears to have the power to do whatever he wants right now.

I WAS LOOKING FOR THIS thanks!

I think it's good. There's been change. You're the highest paid employee, and you gotta act like a team leader. If you aren't responding to the carrot of persuasion then you gotta use the stick. I'm good with this. He needs discipline and structure. Get his ass in shape.

They'll put more of Tyrod's bread and butter plays in the real offense. That makes me feel better.

Beane (asked if Marcell has bought in): “You know, I don't know. Time will tell. It was disappointing as I said, after that game. He was contrite (Sunday) and said the right things. Actions speak louder than words, and you know, time will tell. Hopefully, he is. We hope he'll play to his potential. We know what kind of player he can be. We hope to see that on the field.”

Will the Bills part ways with Marcell if he does not buy in? “Yeah, any player that's not buying in, we'll find a way to move on without him.”

Those are both real dope quotes from beany. Gives me a little hope to a season that had almost none.

Yep. Hokie inferred this early this week I think and it's confirmed by Beane himself.

Everybody freaking out about how this offense isn't a fit for Taylor based on preseason just needs to take a breath.

Yep. Hokie inferred this early this week I think and it's confirmed by Beane himself.

Everybody freaking out about how this offense isn't a fit for Taylor based on preseason just needs to take a breath.

Dennison learned under Shanahan in Denver. I bet anything the offense we are going to see is going to be like Jake Plummer ran when he was good. A ton of rollouts and naked bootlegs as much as pocket passes.

Dennison learned under Shanahan in Denver. I bet anything the offense we are going to see is going to be like Jake Plummer ran when he was good. A ton of rollouts and naked bootlegs as much as pocket passes.

Yup. People seem to think dennison is going to put tyrod in a system where he fails. Problem I see with the argument is that Rick gets fired and probably demoted when he gets another job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I have been hoping for. I was confused when I didn't see any rollouts or bootlegs called for Taylor, when that was arguably the easiest way for him to work short to intermediate throws. Dennison did it a lot with Siemian to start the season last year in Denver, and at least at first I gave them a decent amount of success.

If this is the case, part of me is wondering if putting TT behind that abysmal offensive line was on purpose so they don't give anything away for the start of the season. I want to see Taylor playing with Glenn and Dawkins on the edge, with Miller back inside and Vlad in a gulag.

Beane can do whatever he wants when the team starts winning.

Until then I'd stop trading/releasing the best players on the team.

Dareus is clearly one of the most talented players on the Bills roster. But the Bills are not looking to accumulate talent but rather build a very good team. I like Dareus as a talent, but I don't like him as a teammate and leader. Beane will need to evaluate what the Bills can expect to get from Dareus moving forward. Do we ever expect to see the 2014 version of Dareus? The DT playing hard for a mega contract. Some guys don't have the mental makeup to handle getting paid big dollars. They get lazy and rest on their past production. If we get the 2015 and 2016 versions of Dareus, is that player really worth having on the team. A guy that can be suspended at anytime or have a number of soft tissue injuries that could be prevented by being more committed to his conditioning and diet. We all know Darues has mega talent, but if he is not willing to maximize the talent then what good is it. Hopefully, he gets on board but if not then Beane will have no choice but to move on from him.

Edited by racketmaster

Dareus is clearly one of the most talented players on the Bills roster. But the Bills are not looking to accumulate talent but rather build a very good team. I like Dareus as a talent, but I don't like him as a teammate and leader. Beane will need to evaluate what the Bills can expect to get from Dareus moving forward. Do we ever expect to see the 2014 version of Dareus? The DT playing hard for a mega contract. Some guys don't have the mental makeup to handle getting paid big dollars. They get lazy and rest on their past production. If we get the 2015 and 2016 versions of Dareus, is that player really worth having on the team. A guy that can be suspended at anytime or have a number of soft tissue injuries that could be prevented by being more committed to his conditioning and diet. We all know Darues has mega talent, but if he is not willing to maximize the talent then what good is it. Hopefully, he gets on board but if not then Beane will have no choice but to move on from him.

Can't argue with this. To Dareus's defense, the entire play of the defensive line fell off under Rex.

Let the year play out and see how he does in this defense. Trading or releasing him before the season would be irrational though, IMO.

It may suck but it's really just not cap friendly to get rid of him until after next year. It's just managing him at this point and making sure every deal has the morals clause in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk