I see a difference

T-Bomb

I don't normally pay too much attention to player interviews during pre-season, but I am noticing a difference between the McBeane players and previous regimes' players in terms of speaking ability. Two players in particular that strike me as better speakers are Zay Jones and Jordan Matthews. I know this doesn't mean they are more intelligent, therefore they will be better players, but I can't help but feel that way when I hear them speak.

It's a far cry from listening to Leodis talk.

In fact, there was a Bills CB a while ago who had one the best/most awful quotes ever, something along the lines of "we has to better preparate ourselves" Wish I could remember who it was, think he played in the early 2000's.

It might be wishful thinking on my part that this translates to more wins, but I like the shift in types of guys the Bills want to fill their roster with.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't normally pay too much attention to player interviews during pre-season, but I am noticing a difference between the McBeane players and previous regimes' players in terms of speaking ability. Two players in particular that strike me as better speakers are Zay Jones and Jordan Matthews. I know this doesn't mean they are more intelligent, therefore they will be better players, but I can't help but feel that way when I hear them speak.

In fact, there was a Bills CB a while ago who had one the best/most awful quotes ever, something along the lines of "we has to better preparate ourselves" Wish I could remember who it was, think he played in the early 2000's.

It might be wishful thinking on my part that this translates to more wins, but I like the shift in types of guys the Bills want to fill their roster with.

I'm sure Zay and JMatt would be positively delighted to hear about how they're so "well-spoken" and "articulate".

I'm sure Zay and JMatt would be positively delighted to hear about how they're so "well-spoken" and "articulate".

Ah see, I didn't say the derogatory term "articulate", you did.

I also didn't call them "fine young men".

IMO, they just seem smarter. "Patriots smarter" I hope.

Edited by T-Bomb

Never paid too much attention to how articulate a player is. Remember the character Alvin Mack in the movie The Program. The guy wasn't the brightest bulb but knew the playback front to back. Not saying that's the norm, just saying that just because a players speech isn't proper doesn't mean it translates to poor play on the field.

That being said the Ellis Lankster post game interview is an instant classic and a perfect example of which players on your team not to let get behind a mic.

Ah see, I didn't say the derogatory term "articulate", you did.

I also didn't call them "fine young men".

IMO, they just seem smarter. "Patriots smarter" I hope.

Its not a derogatory term.

The next time someone starts a thread commenting on how Nathan Peterman and Eric Wood are so well-spoken will be the first time.

Its not a derogatory term.

The next time someone starts a thread commenting on how Nathan Peterman and Eric Wood are so well-spoken will be the first time.

It most definitely is a derogatory term. "articulate fine young man" was what most if not all of the FO ppl used to use back in the 90's-early 2000's when talking about black players, yet they used the term intelligent when talking about white players... Why? I used to cringe/laugh at that every time I heard it. It was so obvious...

I dunno, just compare Sammy to Zay Jones, I personally get the impression Jones is a smarter dude. I hope that helps the team in the long run in some way.

Edited by T-Bomb

Sammy wasn't very articulate either.

Sammy to me was the worst of the team... Leodis may have mumbled his words but at least answered the question correctly. Sammy on the other hand be like:

Reporter: Sammy how's the foot feeling?

Sammy: Well uhhhhh you know uhhhh we just gotta come to practice and get mental reps.

R: So would you say you're almost 100%?

S: Uhhhh you know uhhhh like coach says, selfishness only hurts the team you know? But you gotta get the ball in your playmakers hands.

Wasn't Ryan Fitzpatrick from Harvard? If it only translated to wins.

Never paid too much attention to how articulate a player is. Remember the character Alvin Mack in the movie The Program. The guy wasn't the brightest bulb but knew the playback front to back. Not saying that's the norm, just saying that just because a players speech isn't proper doesn't mean it translates to poor play on the field.

That being said the Ellis Lankster post game interview is an instant classic and a perfect example of which players on your team not to let get behind a mic.

Thank you for significantly improving my life, billsbackto81! I'd never seen that interview; best use of 2:13 in awhile.

I used to make fun of the Ellis Lankster interview too, and Im ashamed of myself for doing so. Im pretty certain it was later revealed he had some sort of learning disability, and he was also clearly nervous. We need to be better than this.

In the wake of the first 2 preseason games, Watkins being traded, and all the tank talk, Bill fans will grasp anything positive they can get.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I'm interested to see how the McBeane approach to player selection works out.

For instance, I don't think this FO would have ever drafted Dareus. Would that have worked out better or worse for this team in the long run?

I'm interested to see how the McBeane approach to player selection works out.

For instance, I don't think this FO would have ever drafted Dareus. Would that have worked out better or worse for this team in the long run?

More hindsight analysis. Good job.

What's the problem exactly?

It's intelligence vs. extreme talent, not sure why you're having such a hard time with it...

The problem is that your point is incorrect. Someones Dialect has nothing to do with intelligence, it has to do with the language used in a persons community. Tre White has a thick accent and is widely reported to be very intelligent. No other accent or dialect is representative of a persons intelligence, why Sammy or Leodis?

I used to make fun of the Ellis Lankster interview too, and Im ashamed of myself for doing so. Im pretty certain it was later revealed he had some sort of learning disability, and he was also clearly nervous. We need to be better than this.

Way to own it. And I agree.

He had a really bad stuttering problem that he's worked hard to overcome. Kudos to you on owning this.

The problem is that your point is incorrect. Someones Dialect has nothing to do with intelligence, it has to do with the language used in a persons community. Tre White has a thick accent and is widely reported to be very intelligent. No other accent or dialect is representative of a persons intelligence, why Sammy or Leodis?

I'm sure there are exceptions, but on the whole, I think your dialect excuse is way off...

And yes, fear of public speaking does have a role in this. However, it's definitely something I have noticed already.

I worked as a computer programmer for 30 years, and the field is filled with brilliant people, some of whom seem to relate to machines much more easily than they do people. Even programmers who aren't tongue-tied and limited to one-word answers when confronted with talking to a group of people often prefer to not address groups. The ability to speak well in front of a camera or a group of strangers has nothing to do with intelligence. A lot of it has to do with your personality. Some people are naturally shy and reserved while others have the proverbial "gift of gab".

It most definitely is a derogatory term. "articulate fine young man" was what most if not all of the FO ppl used to use back in the 90's-early 2000's when talking about black players, yet they used the term intelligent when talking about white players... Why? I used to cringe/laugh at that every time I heard it. It was so obvious...

I dunno, just compare Sammy to Zay Jones, I personally get the impression Jones is a smarter dude. I hope that helps the team in the long run in some way.

If Jones is half as talented as Sammy I'd be surprised. I don't care if a guy is articulate , smarter etc at WR. At QB and OL fine, but WR? Give me the more talented guy please.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but on the whole, I think your dialect excuse is way off...

And yes, fear of public speaking does have a role in this. However, it's definitely something I have noticed already.

I have noticed general change in what the Team wants to be perceived as..

I can take the leap it is a McDermott Mc Beane way of building Team. Regardless of speech patterns. The answers seem more focused and consistent in the message

If Jones is half as talented as Sammy I'd be surprised. I don't care if a guy is articulate , smarter etc at WR. At QB and OL fine, but WR? Give me the more talented guy please.

we shall see about that. Both players to watch this season.

I think some of this will show in discipline with route running and game prep

What if he is less talented but overall more productive and available?