In the defense of Tyrod Taylor...

The stats do not back you up. he's a low end starter and a very good backup. 47 TDs, 15 turnovers, 1000 yards rushing and the Bills are 15-14 when he plays-that is not bad.Don't know what you have been watching. Not a franchise talent, but you can win with him with a good team around him-and yes-even the franchise talents need a good team around them to win.

OMG :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's preseason. The SB Bills used to lose preseason games all the time. We've seen EJ look awesome in preseason performances. Preseason doesn't mean squat.

I'm not defending Taylor. I just don't think you can judge him on a partial preseason performance.

I expect TT to play the regular season this season a lot like last regular season. Maybe a bit better because he has an OC who understands the passing game a little better. Maybe a little worse if the pass protection doesn't gel.

I agree with you hondo.

I'm not going to defend Tyrod for last night's game. He played poorly, and so did most of the offense.

We need Jordan Matthews back as soon as possible, because he needs to be our #1 WR, and he needs to work more with Tyrod.

I do not want to see Vlad Ducasse on this team, I've seen enough. And I don't want to see Anquan Boldin lining up wide, ever again.

He seriously needs to get that ball out on time. The dude is a mobile QB who has a horrible time breaking down a defense when he is that close to the line. He took a three step drop several times and just stood there. I hope he goes back to watch the film and the light pops on because that was about as bad as I've seen from him since he's been here.

The best part about this crappy showing is that the coaches can either look at this to improve or throw away all pocket passing plays with a three step drop. If they want quick passes they need to put him in the gun or pistol. Maybe swing passes with the 3 step drop but that's it!

The dude is so far away from NFL pocket passer it's not even funny. The OC needs to stop trying to put him in that situation and trying to mold the player around the scheme. He needs to mold the scheme around the player.

I don't think it matters if you produce in week 2 of the preseason. At least it shouldn't matter.

You're right, It doesn't matter to a degree. It's more of a general point about the way things typically work in the NFL. Edited by Bangarang

If Tyrod stinks it up like he did last night in the regular season, it is very likely going to be because of a really, really bad offensive line.

No. It is very likely going to be because he can't execute a timing based WCO. It is too formulaic, too system centric for someone who is an unconventional talent like Tyrod.

I think we should wait till the actual regular season to verbally crucify this man. If he looks like this in week 1 against the Jets and we lose... OK, maybe time to scratch our heads. I will tell you one thing that Tyrod is literally busting his butt everyday to get better. This man will not fail by lack of dedication or desire.

TT is only an adequate QB if he rushes for 75 yards and doesn't turn the ball over. If those 2 things happen a team can realistically win 10 games with him running the offense. But Peterman, in my opinion, made 2 or 3 throws last night that I have never seen TT throw and I simply do not think he is capable of at his talent level. It was very apparent to me and probably most after watching Peterman, with many of the same players at his disposal that TT had and within the same 30 minutes or so that he was the better NFL quarterback last night. TT will not be on this team after this year. How the coaches handle it this year will be very interesting for sure.

Edited by Bills Pimpin'

Why the anger? That's not proving a point. that is called being fair. unless you kind of know Peterman will probably struggle with the injuries, playing against first string defenses. He plays the same system, same players that TT did last night. Only way that is fair.

There is no anger. You have serious ulterior motives whether you admit it or not. You want Peterman to not have Matthews or Glenn so you can puff your chest and point at people if he doesn't play well. You and I both know that's the case here. You're expecting him to play bad under those circumstances and you're probably not wrong there. But you wanting to handicap him just to prove a point is ridiculous.

I will tell you one thing that Tyrod is literally busting his butt everyday to get better. This man will not fail by lack of dedication or desire.

Nobody should ever doubt him in this score. He cares and even last night you could see his frustration with others and himself. He wants to master this offense. The question is - can he?

Everyone can concede that the chance of Tyrod being here next year is extremely unlikely. The most dangerous part of Tyrod's game is his mediocrity. My biggest fear is that his final parting gift will be a .500 record. Not only will this lead to a lower first round draft pick, but it will sacrifice an additional first rounder and second rounder at least if we intend to move up to get a franchise quarterback. So we sacrifice half of our haul of picks for the sake of being "competitive" for the 17th year? I'd rather use one 1st rounder on a qb and use the additional 1st and 2nds and 3rds to build a solid foundation of young talent. If that means starting peterman then so be it. At least you can evaluate a player that is part of the "future" in the process and under the highly remote possibility Peterman could be the answer, look at all the ammo you have to build around him. Either scenario is a win win .

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn

This is where I stand. He just saw his best wr get shipped to LA. Sammy's so called replacement gets injured immediately. The o-line last night was embarrassing. TT's better than what we've seen these first 2 weeks of preseason. Obviously he's not a franchise QB but he's much better than that debacle we saw last night. Peterman is only going to improve each week.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Everyone can concede that the chance of Tyrod being here next year is extremely unlikely. The most dangerous part of Tyrod's game is his mediocrity. My biggest fear is that his final parting gift will be a .500 record. Not only will this lead to a lower first round draft pick, but it will sacrifice an additional first rounder and second rounder at least if we intend to move up to get a franchise quarterback. So we sacrifice half of our haul of picks for the sake of being "competitive" for the 17th year? I'd rather use one 1st rounder on a qb and use the additional 1st and 2nds and 3rds to build a solid foundation of young talent.

I agree with this but from the looks of the defense so far, I think this team can win 7-8 games with any QB on the roster.

No. It is very likely going to be because he can't execute a timing based WCO. It is too formulaic, too system centric for someone who is an unconventional talent like Tyrod.

If his pocket doesn't break down, I have little doubt that Tyrod will execute the timing passes just fine. The rust will wear off with more and more reps with these new receivers. Tyrod is a much better passer than he is given credit for. I don't think he makes after snap progressions quickly - but I don't think he will be asked to do that. He can throw a quick slant with precision as well as any starter not named Brady.

And if for some reason he can't and fails at the timing passes well then....only an idiot coach would force a guy to keep trying to do something he has proven he can't do.

A smart coach who wants to win would move away from those plays and run plays that he has full confidence in the QB executing - Or he replaces that QB - But that is assuming the replacement QB actually does execute those plays at a higher level than the guy he is replacing. And I question that.

Taylor made a couple of good throws and did manage to move the team into FG range. I like Peterman's decision-making and settling for what the defense gives. Peterman's quick decision-making might be better for this type of offense. In either case, the OL is just terrible for whoever is behind Center. Peterman's quick-decision making can alleviate it somewhat but then teams will start sitting in cover 2 to stop the quick stuff and that's when you need the down-field passing.

You see some positives but they are enshrouded with the penalties; turnstile offensive tackles. Wood got pushed back into the QB at least twice. Once by Cox and the other time by the backup DT. Juan Castillo should be on the damn hot seat. Way too many damn penalties by the OL AND it makes no sense for Tackles to be this damn bad. But as I said when he was announced things are going to get ugly. I saw this guy make Marshall Yanda, Kelechi Osemele look really bad.

If his pocket doesn't break down, I have little doubt that Tyrod will execute the timing passes just fine. The rust will wear off with more and more reps with these new receivers. Tyrod is a much better passer than he is given credit for. I don't think he makes after snap progressions quickly - but I don't think he will be asked to do that. He can throw a quick slant with precision as well as any starter not named Brady.

And if for some reason he can't and fails at the timing passes well then....only an idiot coach would force a guy to keep trying to do something he has proven he can't do.

A smart coach who wants to win would move away from those plays and run plays that he has full confidence in the QB executing - Or he replaces that QB - But that is assuming the replacement QB actually does execute those plays at a higher level than the guy he is replacing. And I question that.

I disagree with the first paragraph.

I agree with para's 2 and 3.

If the decision to move away from Taylor at the end of this year has been made, which I can not imagine is not the case, than the decision who to start will not be based on wins and losses. It will be based on this regimes philosophy on how to evaluate and improve the young offensive talent on this team both at the QB position and other positions.

4th OC and playbook in 4 years...3rd in Buffalo.

2nd playbook in Buffalo. Lynn was using Roman's playbook he just cut the weekly game plans in half and simplified.... but it was Roman's offense just with a different game planner and play caller.

Stop. Just stop. This is the !@#$ing NFL. Either you produce or you can gtfo. That goes for everyone.

You mean...like how he produced the last 2 years WITHOUT much to work with at WR, 3 OC's since 2014, terrible coaching staff, injuries to him, McCoy, Watkins, the OL, Clay, and everyone on the freaking roster? Yet made 2 Pro Bowl selections, incredible TD to Turnover ratio, and led Bills to the HIGHEST SCORING 2 year period since the first 3 SB years and 5th highest scoring season ever in Bills histrory? Or how Bills were behind only Saints and Falcons in TD's before TT sat out the last week of the season? Like that kind of production?

This UTTER NONSENSE that he has not produced has just got to stop. Did he have a rough night last night, sure...but its a freaking preseason game where the OL got DESTROYED and TT played with literally ZERO WR's he has any history with. His starters were a rookie and 37 year old WR who had NO BUSINESS being on the outside last night.

This over exaggeration of what he was the last years has just got to stop...thats the ONLY thing that needs to stop. HE IS OUR QB THIS YEAR...everyone GET OVER IT...we are aremd to the teeth if he falters going into the next draft...so everyone needs to just stop the fairy tale about getting rid of him right now...your time is coming in the next draft, we can't magically make the draft arrive today...all this CONSTANT WHINING is not only pointless, but just over the top.

There is literally ZERO percent chance he and this offense will be as bad as last nights game was. ZERO. I will bet you any amount of money, I will bet my login here, that this offense with TT plays in the regular season better than yesterday. Doesn't mean it will be good enough to win the job permanently, but WHO CARES...we have the ammo to draft a kid if he falters...so let it go already.

Edited by Alphadawg7

2nd playbook in Buffalo. Lynn was using Roman's playbook he just cut the weekly game plans in half and simplified.... but it was Roman's offense just with a different game planner and play caller.

Well he's on his 3rd now in three years.

So in the last 4 seasons it is 4 OCs: Kubiak, Roman, Lynn, Dennison. It is 3 playbooks as Lynn and Roman were using the same one. Also the Dennison playbook will have a lot of the Kubiak playbook in it. I think there are some mitigating factors for how bad Tyrod played last night but I am not sure the the playbook is a major one in all honesty.

You mean...like how he produced the last 2 years WITHOUT much to work with at WR, 3 OC's since 2014, terrible coaching staff, injuries to him, McCoy, Watkins, the OL, Clay, and everyone on the freaking roster? Yet made 2 Pro Bowl selections, incredible TD to Turnover ratio, and led Bills to the HIGHEST SCORING 2 year period since the first 3 SB years and 5th highest scoring season ever in Bills histrory? Or how Bills were behind only Saints and Falcons in TD's before TT sat out the last week of the season? Like that kind of production?

This UTTER NONSENSE that he has not produced has just got to stop. Did he have a rough night last night, sure...but its a freaking preseason game where the OL got DESTROYED and TT played with literally ZERO WR's he has any history with. His starters were a rookie and 37 year old WR who had NO BUSINESS being on the outside last night.

This over exaggeration of what he was the last years has just got to stop...thats the ONLY thing that needs to stop. HE IS OUR QB THIS YEAR...everyone GET OVER IT...we are aremd to the teeth if he falters going into the next draft...so everyone needs to just stop the fairy tale about getting rid of him right now...your time is coming in the next draft, we can't magically make the draft arrive today...all this CONSTANT WHINING is not only pointless, but just over the top.

There is literally ZERO percent chance he and this offense will be as bad as last nights game was. ZERO. I will bet you any amount of money, I will bet my login here, that this offense with TT plays in the regular season better than yesterday. Doesn't mean it will be good enough to win the job permanently, but WHO CARES...we have the ammo to draft a kid if he falters...so let it go already.

Preach! :thumbsup:

Your posting has been stellar lately. Absolutely jam packed with solid reasoning and evidence to back it up. Good stuff. Great effort.

Edited by PolishDave

At what point have I said he hasn't produced? You also don't see me calling for Peterman to start. You're fighting an argument I never made.

He seriously needs to get that ball out on time. The dude is a mobile QB who has a horrible time breaking down a defense when he is that close to the line. He took a three step drop several times and just stood there. I hope he goes back to watch the film and the light pops on because that was about as bad as I've seen from him since he's been here.

The best part about this crappy showing is that the coaches can either look at this to improve or throw away all pocket passing plays with a three step drop. If they want quick passes they need to put him in the gun or pistol. Maybe swing passes with the 3 step drop but that's it!

The dude is so far away from NFL pocket passer it's not even funny. The OC needs to stop trying to put him in that situation and trying to mold the player around the scheme. He needs to mold the scheme around the player.

Absolutely agree.

It is there, to be seen, over and over.

My problem with Taylor is that even when plays are there to make he misses half of them. Inconsistent. Yes the line sucked for him. Yes they took away his best receiver option. Even still there were some plays to be made and those are the ones he needs to make on a regular basis

If the decision to move away from Taylor at the end of this year has been made, which I can not imagine is not the case, than the decision who to start will not be based on wins and losses. It will be based on this regimes philosophy on how to evaluate and improve the young offensive talent on this team both at the QB position and other positions.

Agree with everything you say. Just be prepared for the oldtimers here to first check your number of posts and dismiss every word of it with a "noob" or two thrown in for good measure.

Stop. Just stop. This is the !@#$ing NFL. Either you produce or you can gtfo. That goes for everyone.

At what point have I said he hasn't produced? You also don't see me calling for Peterman to start. You're fighting an argument I never made.

HUH? You wrote one line in the post I responded too...and it literally said produce or GTFO in response to the OP talking about a factor that impacts TT. Now you are trying to say you didn't make any reference to him "not producing"? Are you going to spin your own words now to pretend you implied something different that what you literally wrote?

And for the record, most of my rant is aimed at a lot of people, not just your post, who are all filled with over reaction non sense, over exaggeration of what TT has been, over reaction garbage about a meaningless preseason game, etc.

It doesn't matter how many play books he has to absorb. The sabotaging elements to his game are his own limitations. When you are not consistently accurate with the short and medium routes and you have clearly demonstrated an inability to make anticipatory throws then you are dealing with killer flaws that can't be overcome.

The telling truth is that the different OCs he has played under all have had to dumb down their respective playbooks to accommodate his inherent flaws.

I'm not a TT basher. He's the best that we have right now. However, it is doubtful that he is going to be our long-term qb. I'll make a prediction that by the end of the season when the Bills will predictably out of the playoff running Peterman will be getting the starting assignment.

Edited by JohnC

HUH? You wrote one line in the post I responded too...and it literally said produce or GTFO in response to the OP talking about a factor that impacts TT. Now you are trying to say you didn't make any reference to him "not producing"? Are you going to spin your own words now to pretend you implied something different that what you literally wrote?

And for the record, most of my rant is aimed at a lot of people, not just your post, who are all filled with over reaction non sense, over exaggeration of what TT has been, over reaction garbage about a meaningless preseason game, etc.

You seem to be the one spinning my words. If you don't produce you get replaced. That's how the NFL works. This new staff is going to evaluate Tyrod and either he plays well and produces or he's gone as our starter. I know it. You know. It. The world knows it.

I don't think it is reactionary nonsense. It is worrying to some of us that the bits of this offensive scheme we were questioning Tyrod's ability to execute are the bits that he last night failed to execute.

There are a few overreactions saying "trade him" but broadly I think people are saying "the signs are there that this offense isn't a natural fit for his skill set."

I don't think it is reactionary nonsense. It is worrying to some of us that the bits of this offensive scheme we were questioning Tyrod's ability to execute are the bits that he last night failed to execute.

There are a few overreactions saying "trade him" but broadly I think people are saying "the signs are there that this offense isn't a natural fit for his skill set."

The part of this scheme that has me excited for Tyrod is the amount of play actions and bootlegs involved. That's where I think you can better use his skill set.