Does anyone believe GM Beane about preseason game?

Complete crap.

Find one other team that ran its first four plays to the same receiver in a preseason game. Good luck.

Agree. Tyrod probably didnt know about the trade but im sure they told him to target SW early and often to see if he was back in game shape. I dont believe anything these people say on camera cuz they gotta be PC about it

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this concept deserves its own thread. Perhaps MODS don't. You decide.

Brandon Beane, who for the most part I very much like, even though I hated the trades, said on WGR I believe that he never discussed the trade possibilities with Opie until AFTER the game against the Vikings. He never brought it up.

That means they weren't auditioning Sammy for the Rams or the other three teams that expressed interest by the first four plays all going to Watkins.

Frankly, I find that very hard to believe on both counts. That he hadn't discussed the trade with McDermott, and that it was just coincidence that four plays in a row out of a possible four went to SW.

Now granted, everyone knows that what GMs say to the press and public have to be taken with grain of salt. But he didn't at all have to say it this way, and went out of his way, AFTER the trade, to say that Opie knew nothing about it, and it wasn't an audition. And Sammy even says he thinks it was.

That really makes me, personally, not believe Beane for the first time, early in his tenure. And it will take some time to make me believe he is being forthright with the press and the fans. Not a good way to start, and it seems like it was an unforced error.

So, do you believe Beane that he never discussed the trade before the Vikes game AND the four straight passes to Sammy were just coincidence? Or that Beane lied about it? And can you think of a good reason why he would lie about this particular thing.

You believe the GM is lying because Sammy Watkins was a target of 4 passes in a meaningless preseason game? I've heard of some weird conspiracy theories but man this tops the cake brother. Who cares man the trade is done and over with? Just saying.

My understanding is he told him about the offer but the trade was not done until the GM, HC and owner discussed it together.

Yes, Beane said they had discussions with the Rams for weeks and the Rams just got serious.

Brandon Beane, who for the most part I very much like, even though I hated the trades, said on WGR I believe that he never discussed the trade possibilities with Opie until AFTER the game against the Vikings. He never brought it up.

That means they weren't auditioning Sammy for the Rams or the other three teams that expressed interest by the first four plays all going to Watkins.

Frankly, I find that very hard to believe on both counts. That he hadn't discussed the trade with McDermott, and that it was just coincidence that four plays in a row out of a possible four went to SW.

Now granted, everyone knows that what GMs say to the press and public have to be taken with grain of salt. But he didn't at all have to say it this way, and went out of his way, AFTER the trade, to say that Opie knew nothing about it, and it wasn't an audition. And Sammy even says he thinks it was.

That really makes me, personally, not believe Beane for the first time, early in his tenure. And it will take some time to make me believe he is being forthright with the press and the fans. Not a good way to start, and it seems like it was an unforced error.

So, do you believe Beane that he never discussed the trade before the Vikes game AND the four straight passes to Sammy were just coincidence? Or that Beane lied about it? And can you think of a good reason why he would lie about this particular thing.

Let me tell you this:

Bills targeted Watkins 4 times in the first series and he caught 3.

Eagles targeted Matthews in the first series and he caught 3 balls as well.

A. Coincidence? B. Auditions?

The answer is B.

They do this all the time in NBA trade discussions.

If they were showcasing the guy theyy would have played him more and sent him long a few times to show he still had his speed.

Yup. So now throwing a few passes to your star receiver is somehow auditioning him? How about they're just trying to get a couple first downs. Christ, the trade is over, move on.

What exactly does Beane gain by lying? I missed that piece.

I think Kelly is suffering a little bit from Brandon-itis (i.e., don't believe anything you hear). I don't think teams "audition" players for trades in this league. Too much could go wrong. Beane could send the Rams practice tape of Sammy to show he's healthy without risking an injury in a preseason game. The passes were an effort to get Tyrod and Sammy on the same page to start the season.

You want the GM to openly tell you everything Going on inside that building?

Could've been an audition.

Could've been Taylor just chose to throw to Watkins.

Either way, it's done, I don't think whether or not McDermott was aware matters all that much, and fans should inspect anything coming out of OBD through a critical lens.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

No way McDermott didn't at least have an idea that Sammy was going to be traded. It started with the decision to not pick up 5th year option

I agree... Ain''t no mothef__ing way he didn't have something in the works... He's just covering-up from fan backlash. -Sammy was a hit in Bills nation.

Didn't read through the whole thread, only the first couple of pages, so I apologize if I'm repeating anything, but...

Of course they discussed trading Sammy previously. Beane said he's been getting calls about him since June. So, the FO and McD

have obviously had lengthy discussions about it. But maybe previously, they didn't feel the deals were good enough or they wanted

to make sure and cover themselves for this year with a player to fill in. And then maybe the day of the game the right offers appeared.

Maybe one of the teams jumped in, maybe someone upped the ante, maybe the Bills finally found a trade partner to get back the right players

to fill in. So, the talks heated up, but Beane didn't want to bring it to Sean before the game because he had a lot to deal with in his first

game as a head coach. So, he waited until after the game. They were able to make a quick decision because they had already discussed

thoroughly the possibilities, compensation they wanted, etc.

But more than all that, what does it really matter who knew when. I felt the same thing when people were up in arms with Whaley and Pegula

over the Rex firing. Who cares? It just doesn't matter (to quote Meatballs). If someone did lie in either situation, it was probably just to save someone

else some heat in the press. And that is not the type of lie that would make someone a Donohoe in his bunker type.

I have no idea, but Beane had been tossing out some head scratchers lately. Like this on. And when he said the plan was not to trade Sammy, but some teams called and him and he listened.

The Rams bowled him over with a 2nd and a mediocre at best CB.

Not sure if that passes the sniff test. Obviously these trades were worked out together.

Edited by reddogblitz

When I saw Sammy get targeted on the first possession I thought it was odd. Chalked it up to McD sending a message that Sammy needed to be a big part of the offense this year.

In hindsight, seemed like a showcase and if McBeane were on the same page. a non-story.

On the other hand, if McD was counting on Sammy and blind-sided by the trade, yikes!

This is so simple.......... The league know we have a novice at GM and they are taking advantage of him. This front office is a joke and I see the problem is the Pelugas everyone they wanted turns out to be straight garbage..... Starting with sexy rex.....Hue Jackson thought he had the job before Peluga picked Rex.....who by himself destroyed a top three defense...........Now Jorden Matthew is hurt ........it wont be too long before the rest of our talent get plucked away. The league see our gm/coaching team don't have a clue

never post again

The old man? Please just respond to the post. You believe it was just coincidence and that McD had no idea Beane was about to trade the HC's star player?

There is difference between knowing there were discussions about it and knowing it was "about to trade".

And I do not think LA Rams made decision by 1/4 of a preseason game - that is something a poster would decide about such things.