Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

His decision making and accuracy were inconsistent. I can't see him ever being a guy who'll scare teams with the deep ball given the lack of arm strength and he's 23 years old already.

I'm more concerned with wanting to see a little more zip on some intermediate throws than the long ball.

I look forward to seeing more of him in preseason. I think he should be given more snaps/playing time than Yates. In Yates you pretty much know what you have. With NP you don't know yet imo, but it behooves you to find out.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yates is straight garbage, Peterman should be the backup.

He hasn't really done much to prove that though. He's been about as bad as Yates in camp and he had some marginal success in mop up duty in the first preseason game. He's the unknown so naturally he's going to hyped up more than he needs to be.

He hasn't really done much to prove that though. He's been about as bad as Yates in camp and he had some marginal success in mop up duty in the first preseason game. He's the unknown so naturally he's going to hyped up more than he needs to be.

Everyone loves the backup.

He has potential where as Yates is a known commodity.

It's important to remember there is no game planning going into these early games.

Coach calls a play, you try to do it.

Coaches choice may have more to do with a different positions evaluation i.e. O' Leary getting blown up in short yardage and some blaming the back.

ever take note that he was also throwing to 3rd and 4th stringers? good play is good play. if he were bad, people would find the negative. if he played well then "ohh it was again 3rd and 4th..."

again, you can't have it both ways. good play is good play. why would any one expect a rookie fresh to the league to perform lights out against starters? it has to start somewhere.

Yeah that whole line of thinking doesn't make sense to me. Playing with 2s and 3s is why he only scored 1 TD instead of 2. In preseason I don't look at how good the rest of the players are, I just watch the QB and see if he's making smart decisions and good throws. The actual result is pretty much meaningless. Peterman showed a lot to like and also some things he needs to work on. It's so early.

That's what I've been saying since the trade. I'm with a joesixpack on this. Don't dip your toe in the water; do a cannonball.

If they were tanking this would make sense, but they aren't. They are trying to win now and win tomorrow, that's about what you should expect from a new regime that doesn't know what it has yet. They are NOT going to do the Whaley model of selling out the future for moderate results now. They're building a Super Bowl team, not a one-off wildcard. But they're also not going to tank the season because maybe Tyrod takes the next step, they want to see what he can do with a bunch of solid but non-elite guys around him.

Yeah that whole line of thinking doesn't make sense to me. Playing with 2s and 3s is why he only scored 1 TD instead of 2. In preseason I don't look at how good the rest of the players are, I just watch the QB and see if he's making smart decisions and good throws. The actual result is pretty much meaningless. Peterman showed a lot to like and also some things he needs to work on. It's so early.

If they were tanking this would make sense, but they aren't. They are trying to win now and win tomorrow, that's about what you should expect from a new regime that doesn't know what it has yet. They are NOT going to do the Whaley model of selling out the future for moderate results now. They're building a Super Bowl team, not a one-off wildcard. But they're also not going to tank the season because maybe Tyrod takes the next step, they want to see what he can do with a bunch of solid but non-elite guys around him.

...and that is my whole issue with this plan. They got worse for 2017 (they didn't even deny that in the presser) but didn't get bad enough to move to the top of the draft. Those bad teams are going to be taking a QB so your draft capital is irrelevant. We are "half-pregnant" to steal a term from Wrecks.

If the goal is a top QB, go and get him!! You aren't doing that from pick 8. The Jets, 49ers, Browns, Dolphins, Cardinals, Skins and Jags all may be picking before you and all have the same idea. You have to be worse than those teams. TT and Shady still keep this team competitive.

So if your goal was to compete now, you keep Watkins and Darby and compete. If your goal was to build for the future than finish the tear down and bottom out. Don't win 6 games.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

...and that is my whole issue with this plan. They got worse for 2017 (they didn't even deny that in the presser) but didn't get bad enough to move to the top of the draft. Those bad teams are going to be taking a QB so your draft capital is irrelevant. We are "half-pregnant" to steal a term from that Wrecks.

If the goal is a top QB, go and get him!! You aren't doing that from pick 8. The Jets, 49ers, Browns, Dolphins, Cardinals, Skins and Jags all may be picking before you and all have the same idea. You have to be worse than those teams. TT and Shady still keep this team competitive.

So if your goal was to compete now, you keep Watkins and Darby and compete. If your goal was to build for the future than finish the year down and bottom out. Don't win 6 games.

We will just agree to disagree. Frankly I don't think it's possible to say this was a good or bad move until we see how they use the picks and otherwise spend the salary cap next year. I don't even care what Sammy does. If Goff wakes up and they become a dynamic duo that doesn't mean the trade was bad, sometimes players fit better after a fresh start (like Hughes). If we spend the picks wel and our cap situation looks good then this was a successful trade.

We will just agree to disagree. Frankly I don't think it's possible to say this was a good or bad move until we see how they use the picks and otherwise spend the salary cap next year. I don't even care what Sammy does. If Goff wakes up and they become a dynamic duo that doesn't mean the trade was bad, sometimes players fit better after a fresh start (like Hughes). If we spend the picks wel and our cap situation looks good then this was a successful trade.

What that I said are you disagreeing with?

I thought Peterman looked good for his first showing. But let's not get crazy.

Worst case scenario we take another guy and pull a Pats when some qb starved team offers us a first for Peterman down the line.

One position you never worry about having too much talent is qb. People are always buying.

After the trade, it's a given they're going for a quarterback high in the draft. Since I think the Bills will still be competitive this season, that means packaging picks and moving up. Even if Taylor is very good and the team slips into the wild card, it won't make any difference. Trading away your top receiver and cornerback for meh players & mid-range picks only makes sense in terms of Draft Day drama. The fan base only buys into this deal as leading to a god-like QB in the next draft. Don't give'em that and a mob will be after Beane & McDermott with pitchforks and torches. Personally, I don't think a second & third draft pick is worth the box they've put themselves in - much less the value of the traded players - but we'll see.

Edited by grb

I thought Peterman looked good for his first showing. But let's not get crazy.

Worst case scenario we take another guy and pull a Pats when some qb starved team offers us a first for Peterman down the line.

One position you never worry about having too much talent is qb. People are always buying.

No one knows what Peterman's value is - and the Vikings game did nothing to settle it one way or another. But pulling "a Pats" really only works if you're a Pat; pulling a "Bills" would be a little bit harder. Take Garoppolo as an example. Obviously people have seem him play a few games - on an extremely talented team for an accomplished organization - but they really don't know that much about him either. It's only the reflected glow of Brady & Belichick that have people lusting after Jimmy. There's really no reason to assume he's any better than Cassels or Mallet, but people want to believe.

Getting them to want to believe in Peterman might be a bit more difficult.....

Edited by grb

No chance, the Bills aren't getting all of this draft capital to build around a guy that they passed on like 5 times in the draft. That should tell you how confident they are in him becoming the guy.

This could have ended the thread 2 minutes in. But of course it didn't.....

No one knows what Peterman's value is - and the Vikings game did nothing to settle it one way or another. But pulling "a Pats" really only works if you're a Pat; pulling a "Bills" would be a little bit harder. Take Garoppolo as an example. Obviously people have seem him play a few games - on an extremely talented team for an accomplished organization - but they really don't know that much about him either. It's only the reflected glow of Brady & Belichick that have people lusting after Jimmy. There's really no reason to assume he's any better than Cassels or Mallet, but people want to believe.

Getting them to want to believe in Peterman might be a bit more difficult.....

That's a fair point. I'm just saying that although I was encouraged by what I saw from Peterman in his first outing. It would take nothing short of Taylor getting injured and Peterman taking us to the playoffs for me not to want the Bills to go for our guy next year.

And if we do end up taking our guy. The very worst thing that can happen if Peterman is any good (and this would have to be proven to us and the league in some fashion or another) would be that we have a good backup, trade bait, etc... From a fifth round pick.

Edited by likei've

I think by all Training Camp accounts the Bills messed up and should have taken Mahomes or Watson at #10.

"training camp accounts" = laughable

Every training camp Taylor's the next great pocket passer.

Edited by likei've

Peterman was okay. Didn't impress or stink it up. He just does not wow me. If he beats out Yates, that's not really saying much.

You keep repeating that line... when all of us at this point are just guessing. I saw a lot of good but do I know if he project as a bust or a 2 or 1... NFW. At this point his development looks good but we shall see... by the way how many pull up can he do... who cares.

I think by all Training Camp accounts the Bills messed up and should have taken Mahomes or Watson at #10.

. Watson looked zoned in on his receivers and would have had 3 picks against a real defense based on how he locked in on one receiver. Again nfw anyone can accurately project these guys nor if their coaches can develop them properly.