Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

Beane made a comment along the lines of "they don't all have to be guys we brought in, some guys that were already here bought right in to what we are trying to do".

To me, this implies that Sammy, somehow did not.

Amazing really, but that is the only way to interpret it.

Unfortunately, it reads an awful lot like Donahoe being oh so much smarter than all of you and getting rid of Pat Williams. It is idiotic. I like the other stuff these guys have done, I really do,, but the Sammy hate is dumb,

Pomainville = Boldin

Eichel = Watkins

Gaines = crappy defenseman

Understand now?

Now you do. Most people who watch football can see Sammy's ability.

I know man, he was so great for this organization. Remember that time when he..........

Hold on....I'm trying to somehow finish that sentence.

Bottom line, he's a dynamic football player with loads of talent and I would have loved to see him play this year because it could have potentially been really fun to watch. But, I totally get where McD/Beane are coming from with this trade. I suspect that they like many of us believe that Sammy may not just be a victim of circumstances of bad luck but that he may be someone who is susceptible to being injured.

He's either missed games or has been severely hampered due to calf injuries, ankle injuries, groin injuries, rib injuries, hamstring injuries and now a very problematic foot injury. He hasn't shown himself to be a durable player. Does that mean that he will continue to be plagued with injuries the way he has throughout his short career? No. But it's certainly a rational fear. It's not as if he has had one or two specific injuries, In less than four years, he's missed or been limited because of 6 different types of injuries. To me, that's a red flag.

Then there is the issue of his contract. We've all heard him proclaim his worth and the worth of top WR's. He wants to be paid Megabucks!! McD/Beane don't feel comfortable doing that, and any reasonable thinking person can understand their hesitation.

Plus he's never really exuded any sort of leadership qualities. I may be wrong, maybe he's a true warrior leader on this team, but I've never heard that to be the case.

So rather than take a risk on a player that has a history of injuries who wants to be paid Top 3 WR money, they decided to try to get as much value out of him via trade.

Reasonable people can agree to disagree if this will end up being a good trade, but on the surface there is a strong argument to be made that it was the right move.

Just got home from work. A friend texted me this news, and I spent about ten minutes being despondent.

A few thoughts:

1) I was at the Bills Backers at Busby's watching the preseason, and several people wondered out loud why they were giving Sammy an entire quarter, but didn't give a single snap to Shady, Clay, or Boldin, and barely gave White, or Z. Jones a thing. Now we now.

2) Goff just got a lot better.

3) How pissed off is Tyrod right now?

4) I wonder: did Sammy know what was going on during the game, or was he in the dark like the rest of us?

5) Mostly, I feel robbed that we never got to see Sammy at a season's full potential.

Yup. Only saving grace right now is it seems less likely to happen any time soon with the Rams.

I know man, he was so great for this organization. Remember that time when he..........

Hold on....I'm trying to somehow finish that sentence.

Bottom line, he's a dynamic football player with loads of talent and I would have loved to see him play this year because it could have potentially been really fun to watch. But, I totally get where McD/Beane are coming from with this trade. I suspect that they like many of us believe that Sammy may not just be a victim of circumstances of bad luck but that he may be someone who is susceptible to being injured.

He's either missed games or has been severely hampered due to calf injuries, ankle injuries, groin injuries, rib injuries, hamstring injuries and now a very problematic foot injury. He hasn't shown himself to be a durable player. Does that mean that he will continue to be plagued with injuries the way he has throughout his short career? No. But it's certainly a rational fear. It's not as if he has had one or two specific injuries, In less than four years, he's missed or been limited because of 6 different types of injuries. To me, that's a red flag.

Then there is the issue of his contract. We've all heard him proclaim his worth and the worth of top WR's. He wants to be paid Megabucks!! McD/Beane don't feel comfortable doing that, and any reasonable thinking person can understand their hesitation.

Plus he's never really exuded any sort of leadership qualities. I may be wrong, maybe he's a true warrior leader on this team, but I've never heard that to be the case.

So rather than take a risk on a player that has a history of injuries who wants to be paid Top 3 WR money, they decided to try to get as much value out of him via trade.

Reasonable people can agree to disagree if this will end up being a good trade, but on the surface there is a strong argument to be made that it was the right move.

The only 2 ways you make this trade are due to concerns over health or being a cancer in the locker room

Yup. Only saving grace right now is it seems less likely to happen any time soon with the Rams.

That's where I'm at. Goff to Watkins doesn't strike much fear in me.

The only 2 ways you make this trade are due to concerns over health or being a cancer in the locker room

That's what we forget as fans. We only think about on field production and potential. There are so many things that we don't see. We have no idea what kind of guy Sammy is.

I've never heard a negative thing about Sammy and his teammates.

Outside of the rare cases like TO, how often does stuff leave the locker room? Players generally don't go around talking crap about each other to the media. I'm not saying this was an issue with Watkins. I just want to make the point that fans know very little about what happens in the locker room. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Or you realize that he's healthy and you f'd up by not picking up his fifth year option, harming your relationship with the player. You will look awfully stupid when he lights it up and says " no thanks, I'll go where I'm wanted thank you". You'll get next to nothing as the whole league knows your dealing from a weakened position. This was mitigating the damage before it got worse. Nothing more. Entire situation was mishandled .

Outside of the rare cases like TO, how often does stuff leave the locker room? Players generally don't go around talking crap about each other to the media.

We will see-- normally there are at least a few red flags. I don't think he's looking for teammates trashing him as much as the subtle comments, which you often see. Brandin cooks this offseason being a toxic locker room example of a top WR being traded.

If he was an issue, SOMEONE will say something. That he went to a team with a WR who sat in meetings with him, ran position drills with him etc... seems like at least a minor endorsement of him behind the scenes

Or you realize that he's healthy and you f'd up by not picking up his fifth year option, harming your relationship with the player. You will look awfully stupid when he lights it up and says " no thanks, I'll go where I'm wanted thank you". You'll get next to nothing as the whole league knows your dealing from a weakened position. This was mitigating the damage before it got worse. Nothing more. Entire situation was mishandled .

Interesting theory. It is definitely plausible, but I tend to believe that the option was declined with the idea of moving on.

We will see-- normally there are at least a few red flags. I don't think he's looking for teammates trashing him as much as the subtle comments, which you often see. Brandin cooks this offseason being a toxic locker room example of a top WR being traded.

If he was an issue, SOMEONE will say something. That he went to a team with a WR who sat in meetings with him, ran position drills with him etc... seems like at least a minor endorsement of him behind the scenes

Personally I don't think that the locker room cancer theory is likely either. I'm still not going to say it's completely impossible. It's more likely that the coaching staff didn't see eye to eye with Sammy. There is a great deal of politics and interpersonal communication in play at every workplace. Anything is possible. Injuries and economics are more likely reasons for this trade imo.

So, it's done. I didn't believe my son when he called - it seemed too far fetched with the two trades. People backed up behind me when I couldn't get out of the car to fill up with gas. STUNNED!

Darby I can get over. A productive WR plus a 3rd. OK.

Sammy? He's got HOF potential. Arguably the best talent on the team. But I've cooled with time to ponder. Among the reasons mentioned, the first to come up was signability. Several times. I get we could franchise him, but that's a lot tied up in one player who may not fit what you want to do with your offensive scheme and more importantly your cap dollars. And the Franchise tag is a stop gap. Many have complained about being top heavy, and this would make us more so.

I get all the arguments against this, but i also like a FO that isn't focused on getting as many wins THIS season as possible, while losing track of the long term consequences and possibilities. And I would HATE a FO who did things to appease the fans.

How many fans did they actually lose? Few to none I bet. Regardless, they didn't do this to garner fan support. they have a vision. I'll let them play that out and see how it goes. (There's plenty of time for a lynching down the road! :). )