Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

That's well said Bill.

I was for being all in this year but I expected a huge year from Sammy. Now, I would be in for the full blown tank. I would deal Shady and Tyrod. By the time that you are ready to win Shady wouldn't be a part of that and Tyrod will keep you competitive. Don't win 6-7 games. That's the worst case scenario for me. If this is just the beginning I can get behind it.

We will see- if we now pigeonhole Tyrod into being an over the middle, precision timed short rhythm passer instead of spreading things out and taking a lot of shots over the top and pressuring the defense... this could get ugly even with him at qb but then the powers that he can point at Tyrod instead of taking the blame for starting an obvious bum!

And if Tyrod surprises, so be it!

Imagine how this board would have reacted to the trade that sent Greg Bell plus two first round picks and a second round pick for Biscuit.

I remember that trade well. And I was thrilled with it. For one reason. Everyone who knew football knew that Bennett was going to be a star player and you win with star players. There were seven players involved in today's trade's, including three that will be picked in next year's draft. One of those seven is going to be a star player and that's Sammy Watkins. Unless of course, any of the three picks becomes a true star, and the chances of that are about 5%.

Thanks for chiming in with your abrasive remark. Purposely argumentive? I'm on a message board having a conversation. I'm just having a discussion. It's fair to think it's a deep QB class, and that we might happy with several of them. Apperently none of you can comprehend that idea.

We all get what you are saying. We all agree it isn't a viable plan, but instead something that a team falls into by accident every decade or so:

I didn't take anything out of context, but live your fantasy. I replied to your statement regarding the Bills taking the wrong QB. You love the Bills as much as anyone, but have a strong bias against the new regime.

I never said that they will draft the wrong QB. You took it out of context.

I have no bias against the new regime but they haven't earned my trust either. I liked the way that they manipulated the draft this year. I said my dream scenario was a 2018 first without giving one up in 2017. I got my wish. There have been other things that are head scratching to ridiculous (this falls to the latter). I didn't understand the CK move (especially with Glenn beat up). In general, I am not in favor of giving control and power to guys with no resume. That's the mistake that the Broncos made with McDaniels and the Eagles with Kelly. If this move were made by Ozzie Newsome I would feel a lot better about it.

I remember that trade well. And I was thrilled with it. For one reason. Everyone who knew football knew that Bennett was going to be a star player and you win with star players. There were seven players involved in today's trade's, including three that will be picked in next year's draft. One of those seven is going to be a star player and that's Sammy Watkins. Unless of course, any of the three picks becomes a true star, and the chances of that are about 5%.

Yup- we were the ones that stocked up on non-biscuit players today. It's not the best example to use.

I never said that they will draft the wrong QB. You took it out of context.

I have no bias against the new regime but they haven't earned my trust either. I liked the way that they manipulated the draft this year. I said my dream scenario was a 2018 first without giving one up in 2017. I got my wish. There have been other things that are head scratching to ridiculous (this falls to the latter). I didn't understand the CK move (especially with Glenn beat up). In general, I am not in favor of giving control and power to guys with no resume. That's the mistake that the Broncos made with McDaniels and the Eagles with Kelly. If this move were made by Ozzie Newsome I would feel a lot better about it.

I understand your fear of such power being placed in inexperienced hands. It is something that I have found concerning as well. Beane and McD will leave Buffalo behind as an utter disaster, or they will be the best thing to happen to this franchise. This is a real boom or bust regime imo. The only thing that comforts me is that we can't really hit rock bottom. We already have a 17 year playoff drought. I find it difficult to be up in arms over the loss of Sammy (or any player) on a team that was going nowhere. Beane and McD think they are building for the future. Their plan may or may not work. We don't have much to lose as the present offers little hope. I understand where many posters are coming from. I'm just viewing this through a different lens. P.S. Here is your original quote "Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Bills mess this up. My biggest fear is that they use a bunch of capital to move up and take the wrong guy at QB." I guess you never said they "will" take the wrong QB, you're just "pretty sure". Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

That about sums it up. CB was a beast at Alabama and everyone knew it. GB had a few good seasons in BUF but Bills fans knew that team was heading up and Biscuit was a final piece to the puzzle...

That's all fine and good but if your plan was to get the franchise QB why sign Boldin? Why take back Matthews? Why bring back Tyrod and Kyle? Those moves are all for 2017. It's half-pregnant. I'm bitter because they traded a potential superstar for $.10 on the dollar. If you want to tank I can get on board with that but that clearly isn't the plan. You are still picking behind the Jets, 49ers and probably the Browns. You could be behind the Jags and Redskins as well. Those teams are all potentially taking QBs. Your draft capital is worthless if teams aren't going to move down.

I heard this while I was in a meeting at work and almost fell out of my chair. While I can get behind the Darby deal; the Watkins deal reeks of us wanting to move on for either injury concern or maturity issues. I was all for us doing a mini rebuild, but I would expect for Wood, TT, Hughes, Kyle, Richie and Shady to be moved; not the young guys you can build around. You are spot on with this comment...

Agreed, a bad example. The Bills were stocked and the trade for Biscuit cemented the defense. The point is that Polian had balls and Beane, though not proven at this point, seems to have the same. Time will tell.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp

I understand your fear of such power being placed in inexperienced hands. It is something that I have found concerning as well. Beane and McD will leave Buffalo behind as an utter disaster, or they will be the best thing to happen to this franchise. This is a real boom or bust regime imo. The only thing that comforts me is that we can't really hit rock bottom. We already have a 17 year playoff drought. I find it difficult to be up in arms over the loss of Sammy (or any player) on a team that was going nowhere. Beane and McD think they are building for the future. Their plan may or may not work. We don't have much to lose as the present offers little hope. I understand where many posters are coming from. I'm just viewing this through a different lens. P.S. Here is your original quote "Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Bills mess this up. My biggest fear is that they use a bunch of capital to move up and take the wrong guy at QB." I guess you never said they "will" take the wrong QB, you're just "pretty sure".

Not hitting rick bottom has been our biggest issue...