Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

That's a ridiculous statement. Ben Roethlisberger was the third QB picked in the 2004 draft. What a bum that guy has been.

Yea, your being purposefully argumentive at this point.

Obviously no one is going into a season saying "the third qb will probably still be excellent" let's try to pick outside the top 2 but not make the playoffs.

Kirby and everyone else here WANTS the Bills to draft a great qb. I don't think that there is a lot of reason to believe that they will.

And if you think they be able to win a decent number of games AND draft a great quarterback, I will say that imo the odds of this happening are not good.

So what is it about Beane and McD make you believe that they won't be able to? Is it something they did or is it the residual stench of failure from this Bills organization?

If they paid him and feed him the ball, like they should have been doing. He said that in camp.

Either way, the GM should have asked him before he traded him. Props to Beane for being honest, but he admitted he didn't.

We really shouldn't be that surprised with the regime change and how they value what was in place. i get questioning the return - but is this really uncommon?

Kirby and everyone else here WANTS the Bills to draft a great qb. I don't think that there is a lot of reason to believe that they will.

And if you think they be able to win a decent number of games AND draft a great quarterback, I will say that imo the odds of this happening are not good.

Yes, but a team needs to put themselves in the position to draft a QB. That is what we are doing. Even if it is the "third best". Everyone expects a deep QB draft class. Why is it not possible that Beane and McD are all in on the 2018 QB draft class? They could screw it up, but at least they might give it a try. We weren't going anywhere with Sammy on this roster without a QB.

That's well said Bill.

Curious as to your opinion - would you be all in or would you prefer to tank in earnest?

I was for being all in this year but I expected a huge year from Sammy. Now, I would be in for the full blown tank. I would deal Shady and Tyrod. By the time that you are ready to win Shady wouldn't be a part of that and Tyrod will keep you competitive. Don't win 6-7 games. That's the worst case scenario for me. If this is just the beginning I can get behind it.

So what is it about Beane and McD make you believe that they won't be able to? Is it something they did or is it the residual stench of failure from this Bills organization?

That is a very fair question. The truth is it is probably a bit of both.

I hated the way the first round of the draft was handled and the trade of Darby points to yet another first round corner.

You see, both options seem to blend together. :(

Why wouldn't he? You could have franchised him or negotiated a long-term deal. If he was paid he would have stayed. That's an easy one.

Because he wanted to be paid like a top 3 WR? He hasn't warranted that sort of contract from the Bills point of view. It would make little to no sense to pay him that kind of money. We aren't a team on the brink, he hasn't proven that he's worth that kind of money, (potentially yes but in actuality no). He doesn't exude from my view leadership qualities that carries on over to other players.

To me, he is a very uber talented WR, that hasn't been able to stay healthy on a consistent basis and his likely demands of the money he's looking for doesn't make sense for this team. I think it was a good move.

Yes, but a team needs to put themselves in the position to draft a QB. That is what we are doing. Even if it is the "third best". Everyone expects a deep QB draft class. Why is it not possible that Beane and McD are all in on the 2018 QB draft class? They could screw it up, but at least they might give it a try. We weren't going anywhere with Sammy on this roster without a QB.

They could have still gotten the same caliber of QB without the extra 2nd and 3rd. The teams that are willing to move down will still move down and those really bad teams are still taking the top guys. It doesn't change the guy that you were going to be able to get IMO except that you may be a game or 2 worse and pick 2-3 picks sooner.

That is a very fair question. The truth is it is probably a bit of both.

I hated the way the first round of the draft was handled and the trade of Darby points to yet another first round corner.

You see, both options seem to blend together. :(

And if they pick a QB with their first pick next year, will that change your view of them?

I didn't take anything out of context, but live your fantasy. I replied to your statement regarding the Bills taking the wrong QB. You love the Bills as much as anyone, but have a strong bias against the new regime.

That's well said Bill.

I was for being all in this year but I expected a huge year from Sammy. Now, I would be in for the full blown tank. I would deal Shady and Tyrod. By the time that you are ready to win Shady wouldn't be a part of that and Tyrod will keep you competitive. Don't win 6-7 games. That's the worst case scenario for me. If this is just the beginning I can get behind it.

I'd be on board with this. Makes sense. Finish what you've started.

Because he wanted to be paid like a top 3 WR? He hasn't warranted that sort of contract from the Bills point of view. It would make little to no sense to pay him that kind of money. We aren't a team on the brink, he hasn't proven that he's worth that kind of money, (potentially yes but in actuality no). He doesn't exude from my view leadership qualities that carries on over to other players.

To me, he is a very uber talented WR, that hasn't been able to stay healthy on a consistent basis and his likely demands of the money he's looking for doesn't make sense for this team. I think it was a good move.

Someone is going to pay him though. My guess is that it's the Rams (and they will have A LOT tied up in WR). The whole "signability" thing is basically McBeane saying "we don't think that he is worth what he will get." That is why they made the move. I just disagree. It is hard to find stars or even potential stars.

Just not in their plan. What else could it be?

That's all it can be. That's what my issue is. A 24 year-old with that talent should be in your plan.

Yea, your being purposefully argumentive at this point.

Obviously no one is going into a season saying "the third qb will probably still be excellent" let's try to pick outside the top 2 but not make the playoffs.

Thanks for chiming in with your abrasive remark. Purposely argumentive? I'm on a message board having a conversation. I'm just having a discussion. It's fair to think it's a deep QB class, and that we might happy with several of them. Apparently none of you can comprehend that idea. We could have Rosen,Darnold,Allen, and Falk entering the draft. I like them all. Sadly, many with posters I guess your eyes are only for one. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5