Pats become 1st NFL team to buy 767 (2) to fly to games

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't make financial sense. They cost of staffing, hangering and maintaining 20 year old jets is humongous. It far exceeds the savings on 10 or so team trips per year, and occasional offset from a rental to a New England scoundrel with too much money on their hands. Two planes?? Forget about it...

If the Seahawks, in Boeing's backyard, in a town awash with tech money couldn't make it work, I kind of doubt the Patsies will either.

Having said that: maybe 10 road NFL games (incl pre-season) plus 40 to 50 Sabres road trips, I could maybe see this working for Pegula Sports and Entertainment. (I know there will be sched. conflicts) Though, more in the format of a 737, in a 2+2 aisle formation.

LOL... put them on a C-130 with a seat pallet.

"And both may be chartered out to other teams when the Patriots arent using them."

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/08/08/patriots-buy-planes/

They will either make money or this will be a wash. Wont lose money

Fact. They will charter them. No assumption made. See above

Flight operations will run out of Providence, Rhode Island, which is actually closer to the Patriots training facility in Foxborough, Massachusetts, than Boston Logan.

And bought for 10M. A charter for the season runs 4M. So have to make up 6M to make it a wash on the purchase.

But yep assumptions

Celtics, Bruins, Red Sox, they could rent them from Kraft for their away games when needed. Right there you could have them being used all year.

You do know Robert Kraft has nothing to do with Kraft food right ?.......He made his fortune in paper, packaging etc....

If my favorite band can have a 747. why not NFL teams ? I'm actually surprised they're the 1st to do this.....

because you would only need it 8-10 times a year

IF there was money to be made, the NFL would step up and provide the planes. Even that would not be great because of the length of the seasons.

If there was money to be made, a third party would have thought of this.

Actually, many have, and failed.

There isn't.

Ego thing, and good for them.

Edited by sherpa

This doesn't make financial sense. They cost of staffing, hangering and maintaining 20 year old jets is humongous. It far exceeds the savings on 10 or so team trips per year, and occasional offset from a rental to a New England scoundrel with too much money on their hands. Two planes?? Forget about it...

If the Seahawks, in Boeing's backyard, in a town awash with tech money couldn't make it work, I kind of doubt the Patsies will either.

Having said that: maybe 10 road NFL games (incl pre-season) plus 40 to 50 Sabres road trips, I could maybe see this working for Pegula Sports and Entertainment. (I know there will be sched. conflicts) Though, more in the format of a 737, in a 2+2 aisle formation.

LOL... put them on a C-130 with a seat pallet.

This is easy

TAX WRITE OFF

Part of this has been spurred by a recent shortage in airplanes for charter. In April, American Airlines suspended charter service to six NFL teams because it lacked sufficient aircraft. Florio reported that up to 20 NFL teams could be left high and dry after 2017. The Patriots are just getting out in front of this trend. So it may not be a money maker, but it gets them out of having to stress out over travel arrangements.

The Dolphins just finalized arrangements to be charted by Miami Air International this season. That's a real small charter company that typically charters college football teams like the UB Bulls around (and some NHL teams). The Jaguars won't even divulge the name of their charter company for this season but it's supposedly mostly a cargo carrier but not one of the big one's.