Glen Campbell dies at 81

The Poojer

Once sat in during a studio session with Cambell and his pedal steel player while doing overdubs. At the time Led zep III was out Hendrix had already

re-wrote how electric guitar was played. But That night everyone in the room had their jaws on the ground. He was on fire and could not only play with anyone. He could blow them off the stage with his strat if he wanted too. . A Mind blowing guitar player, and songwriter.

RIP big guy.

Terrific song writer and guitarist...Bum Phillips said about Don Shula he can take hisins and beat urins and urins and beat hisins..Glen could take almost any country or pop or even rock song and put out a version as good or better than the orginal..

My wife took me to see him in 2011 at the CNE in Toronto. I didn't really know his music or him. The first thought I had was **** there are a lot of people here to see him. As the show rolled on I was surprised by just how many songs I knew and loved but didn't realize it had been him singing them.

I believe this was a sort of warm up show. It was very close after the Alzheimer's announcement but Glen was knocking out most of what he played with what seemed like little trouble. When he slipped up the crowd was forgiving and full of love.

I'm glad I had a chance to see him and understand just what a legend he was.

He worked his way from the bottom up. Played every hole in the wall, moved to LA, became a studio musician, and then hit the big time. He and Jim Webb were quite the team. And, he never learned to read music. RIP LaBeouf.

Once sat in during a studio session with Cambell and his pedal steel player while doing overdubs. At the time Led zep III was out Hendrix had already

re-wrote how electric guitar was played. But That night everyone in the room had their jaws on the ground. He was on fire and could not only play with anyone. He could blow them off the stage with his strat if he wanted too. . A Mind blowing guitar player, and songwriter.

RIP big guy.

100% correct - one of the most underrated shredders of all time.

Wichita lineman is amaaaaazing

Also 100% right. One of my favorite tracks.

Wichita lineman is amaaaaazin

To me, one of the most perfect pop records ever made...the "wrecking crew" at their very best. Jimmy Webbs' lyrics, Campbells nuanced vocals, soaring strings...and that amazing, completely ad-libbed bass line that opens the record...it kind of serves as a little step into the "world" of that song...

I saw Glen a few years ago, when it came out that he was suffering from the onset of Alzheimers. I was watching my mother go through it (she succumbed shortly after) and my grandmother before her. It was an unusually emotional performance for me. Campbell was perfect...hardly a dry eye in the house when he sang "These Days". I've heard that song hundreds of times, by everyone from Jackson Browne (he wrote it) and Nico...but, because of his circumstances, the song was devastating...RIP Glen

To me, one of the most perfect pop records ever made...the "wrecking crew" at their very best. Jimmy Webbs' lyrics, Campbells nuanced vocals, soaring strings...and that amazing, completely ad-libbed bass line that opens the record...it kind of serves as a little step into the "world" of that song...

I saw Glen a few years ago, when it came out that he was suffering from the onset of Alzheimers. I was watching my mother go through it (she succumbed shortly after) and my grandmother before her. It was an unusually emotional performance for me. Campbell was perfect...hardly a dry eye in the house when he sang "These Days". I've heard that song hundreds of times, by everyone from Jackson Browne (he wrote it) and Nico...but, because of his circumstances, the song was devastating...RIP Glen

I saw him on that last tour, about six months after his diagnosis. If you get a chance there's a documentary out there chronicling the tour and his battle with the illness throughout.

I saw him on that last tour, about six months after his diagnosis. If you get a chance there's a documentary out there chronicling the tour and his battle with the illness throughout.

Yes, have been meaning to check that out too... thanks for the reminder!

I'm to go out on a limb and say: Thank God he's gone. Because Alzheimer's is a stone-cold B word of a disease, and I'm relieved his suffering has ended.

edit: "B word?" Seriously? What m-word f-word c-word other-f-word h-word w-word implemented that s-word other-s-word a-word e-word for a filter? At least hyphenate it properly, you g-word d-word i-words.

Edited by DC Tom