Manuel was not given the chance to grow

Weird article..the quotes from Manual are at least a couple months old..wonder if this guy wrote the original article cause there is no attribution that I saw in the article. And that is what interests me.(EDIT dummy me, just saw this article was from March 20..man we digging up some old chit here)

And I am one who would have like to seen EJ get his whole second season. EJ is one blown interference penalty against Robey as having one of the great comebacks in Bills history.

Lest we forget why he needed to orchestrate that comeback in the 1st place....

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/3/20/14988144/raiders-ej-manuel-not-given-chance-to-grow-buffalo-bills-i-know-what-kind-of-player-i-can-be

In this article, Manuel makes a good point. Take a read. Also glad to see him start Raiders camp as their number 2 ahead of Connor Cook.

Good point. Losman was also great and not allowed to grow, right?

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/3/20/14988144/raiders-ej-manuel-not-given-chance-to-grow-buffalo-bills-i-know-what-kind-of-player-i-can-be

In this article, Manuel makes a good point. Take a read. Also glad to see him start Raiders camp as their number 2 ahead of Connor Cook.

That's the line of reasoning he parlayed into a first-round draft pick and a solid rookie contract with the Bills! If it ain't broke, don't fix it EJ!

When he was coming out, all he and his agent did was blame the coaching staff at FSU for how he only read 1/2 of the field. It was the system that held me back...

The truth is that he would have lost his starting spot to Jamies and his career would have been done.

I don't begrudge the opportunity he had to perform here, but I do take exception with his complaint against Buffalo. Did he have lots of opportunities, maybe not. But did he take advantage of his opportunities - absolutely not. He had one last opportunity and he blew it big time. He didn't even give his coaches a reason to wait until the offseason. He was done before halftime of the Jets game!

Maybe if the dude didn't get worse and worse the more he played, he would have been...

He was terrible in the last few games to the point I'd rather have some undrafted rookie in there than him. At least you could justify the performance of that player instead of a first round pick.

I like this Quote:

“It was very surprising,” Manuel said of his benching. “You know, obviously being 2-2 and after losing to Houston, [former Bills Head] Coach [Doug] Marrone made the change and it was something I never dealt with as a competitor, as an athlete. So, it was definitely one of those things that I had to humble myself and understand that this could happen to anybody, you know what I mean?”

That pick 6 to Watt on the screen pass was absolutely brutal he deserved to be benched.

That pick 6 to Watt on the screen pass was absolutely brutal he deserved to be benched.

It was brutal but I remember right before that play thinking "screen to Fred is coming here" our offense was so darn predictable. Ever likely Watt read it.

He wasn't which is why I believe he will start over Carr.

Del Rio will see EJ let it rip and will know he can't keep this arm talent ride the pine.

Maybe the Bills could trade for Carr? 2 rounder?

Screen passes are designed plays and this one wasn't. EJ made the decision to the throw to Freddy coming out of the backfield. If you watch the replay, Sammy runs a slant and is WIDE open. You don't go to your best target singled up?

Even on the replay you'll see a safety sprinting towards Freddy....even if Watt doesn't pick it, Freddy doesn't make the first. He would have been crushed.

Had best comeback in recent Bills History against Panthers.

He will hang around the league for years. May even get a start here or there.

Too inaccurate too often which is on him.

Yes, strong inaccurate arm....I saw to many throws miss the wr by 10 yards..........being a nice guy and having your head on straight isn't a fix for lack of skills. The Whaley Marrone confrontation over this situation was classic, and Marrone was right.

The writer of this article tries to build his case on statistics by comparing the rookie seasons of Carr and Manuel which is infantile. Anyone watching the two play during their respective careers could see the difference between the QB's without looking at a single stat sheet. EJ is not an NFL quality QB. He fails to mention the Jacksonville game in 2015 or his final start last year both were pathetic.

By all accounts a really nice guy. He had all of the intangibles necessary to play QB in the NFL. Unfortunately he was/is severely lacking in the tangible department.

I agree with you about the nice guy and by every report the guy had a great work ethic.

I think you reversed his attributes. His tangible skills, his size, strength, arm strength were all there, it was his intangibles leadership, accuracy, decision making and ability to handle pressure were that were lacking.

I honestly would of liked to see what he could of done with a year on the bench NOT coached by marrone and Hackett who in my opinion are two of the most pathetic "offensive" side of the ball coaches I can remember. Once he got shell shocked he never recovered. I don't see why he can't be a Matt Moore kinda backup in the league though.

Matt Moore doesn't one hop wide open TEs who are 15 yards away