The Tyrod Taylor Question

Taylor's single biggest flaw as a passer is not being able to make the reads and make decisions quickly. In his 15 weeks last year, he was the worst in the NFL in terms of time between snap and throw in 14 weeks. In the year before, he was the worst in 12 out of 14 weeks. Considering that statistic, he's lucky to have many of the other stats that he does. Notwithstanding everything else, that is a ridiculously high percentage. 26 out of 29 weeks that he played, he held onto the football longer than any other quarterback. I'm a big fan of Taylor, but there's no QB that's going to last long in the NFL when leading in that metric. Plenty of people have said it as well, that he doesn't know how to "throw" receivers open.

Has the offense played well enough to make the playoffs? They certainly have, but I would not expect them to go very far where they are. The defense would have to be phenomenal IMO for them to go deep in to the playoffs and we haven't seen that type of defense since Schwartz three years ago. I'm not even sure though that if you combined the offense of last year with the defense of 3 years ago that they would have very far.

At the end of the day, it's not a Tyrod Taylor question alone. The offense as a whole was average and the defense as a whole was average. It must improve on both sides of the ball, or they're not going to do anything, even if they make the playoffs.

And yet he led an offense that was #7 in scoring going into the Jets finale. So stop looking at stats and start looking at results. Taylor is not a prototype QB but his offense scores points.

If not for Wrecks & Rob's awesome defense, we'd have made the playoffs. We wasted last season thanks to those two tubs.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet he led an offense that was #7 in scoring going into the Jets finale. So stop looking at stats and start looking at results. Taylor is not a prototype QB but his offense scores points.

If not for Wrecks & Rob's awesome defense, we'd have made the playoffs. We wasted last season thanks to those two tubs.

and he doesn't turn the ball over.

So your answer is no, then. You would no longer feel "bleh."

Okay, now I'm going to ask you to do something I asked another poster to do because both of you share the same belief that what we've seen is what we've got simply because of age and number of years on an NFL roster. Throughout history, name me 10 QBs who going into year 7 in the NFL:

-Rode the bench almost exclusively for the entirety of their rookie contract (4 years)

-Given the opportunity to start in year five after earning the starting job

-After earning the starting job, plays years 5 & 6 at "NFL starting QB" level

That was the criteria I originally set forth. And I set it forward because of the arbitrary "sixth year" as some kind of watermark.

My point was simply to establish how unique Taylor's case is. But if you can find me a number of QBs who meet that criteria, maybe you're on the right track, after all.

So you set forth a pretty specific set of criteria that probably doesn't apply to anyone but Tyrod?

I'd feel better about Tyrod if this was the 1950's era of football but it's not. He's not a rookie or sophomore players. He's a 6 year veteran. You sound ridiculous really.

Lol at the excuses and just flat out delusional statements I've been subjected to reading.

Sophomore slump?!?!

Grocery baggers as WR's?

A top ten offense that he was less responsible for than nearly every other QB in the league?

Hyperbole and delusion is what the CoT is selling, and only a fool would buy such propaganda.

Stick to statements closer to reality if you still want to discuss this expired topic some more, even though I suggest other wise.

It's just all around ugly for everyone involved at this point.

Edited by Crusher

That wasn't a "yes" or a "no."

Ever heard of "sophomore slump?"

It happens.

Plus, 2015 will not be an easy year to match in terms of production and efficiency, anyway.

I've heard of a sophomore slump. Not a 7th year super senior slump.

2015 TT was the 20th best passer or so. That being hard to match for him is a bad sign.

But I literally said yes. I wouldn't be happy.

Edited by jmc12290

Another excuse for the books.

Those are not excuses....they are facts sir

The defense was the main problem in 2016. The three amigos see it as an excuse. Not worth responding to people with hate agendas. let the Mods deal with them. I'm hard on OBD at times, but come game day I am 100 percent behind every player to win. If you root against a player, might as well do something else on Sunday.

Those are not excuses....they are facts sir

They are indeed excuses. Let's just forget the pats game, Pitt game, Oakland game, and Ravens games and Miami 1 game because it's convenient.

This thread is if if if if and woulda coulda shoulda at its finest

Guess I'll duck out and let the pretenders pretend.

Adios CoT. Let's evaluate this again after week 6

They are indeed excuses. Let's just forget the pats game, Pitt game, Oakland game, and Ravens games and Miami 1 game because it's convenient.

This thread is if if if if and woulda coulda shoulda at its finest

Guess I'll duck out and let the pretenders pretend.

Adios CoT. Let's evaluate this again after week 6

The only games you're allowed to mention are the Seattle and second Miami games.

Lol at the excuses and just flat out delusional statements I've been subjected to reading.

Sophomore slump?!?!

Grocery baggers as WR's?

A top ten offense that he was less responsible for than nearly every other QB in the league?

Hyperbole and delusion is what the CoT is selling, and only a fool would buy such propaganda.

Stick to statements closer to reality if you still want to discuss this expired topic some more, even though I suggest other wise.

How do you define this, exactly? If you look at how many times per game Tyrod's number was called vs the rest of the league he ranked 21 last year. The QBs with at least 200 attempts that had their number called less were:

Matt Ryan

Brock Osweiler

Alex Smith

Case Keenum

Colin Kaepernick

Marcus Mariota

Brian Hoyer

Ryan Tannehill

Jared Goff

Dak Prescott

Matt Barkley

Ryan Fitzpatrick

So you set forth a pretty specific set of criteria that probably doesn't apply to anyone but Tyrod?

I'd feel better about Tyrod if this was the 1950's era of football but it's not. He's not a rookie or sophomore players. He's a 6 year veteran. You sound ridiculous really.

I'm sorry dude but it's not all that specific.

TONS of NFL QBs were on the bench throughout almost all of their rookie contracts. It's the next 2 criteria that separates Taylor.

I know you aren't seeing it, but you might want to reconsider the notion that Taylor can't improve just because of years of service 0:)

No, you don't just draft a QB in the first "no matter what."

I can't believe anyone actually thinks this is a smart or even reasonable approach :doh:

You're exaggerating what I'm saying, maybe you should stop hitting your head. The team is going to identify and target at least 1 highly rated QB in the upcoming draft. Depending how things shake out they may take him with either of their 1st rounders or trade up to secure him. If the prospects they have identified are gone, obviously they aren't taking one they don't like just to take one.

I'm sorry dude but it's not all that specific.

TONS of NFL QBs were on the bench throughout almost all of their rookie contracts. It's the next 2 criteria that separates Taylor.

So how many QBs match the criteria you set forth? What was even the point you were trying to make there?

I know you aren't seeing it, but you might want to reconsider the notion that Taylor can't improve just because of years of service 0:)

Is this where we start putting words in each other's mouths because I never said he couldn't improve.

Y

The defense was the main problem in 2016. The three amigos see it as an excuse. Not worth responding to people with hate agendas. let the Mods deal with them. I'm hard on OBD at times, but come game day I am 100 percent behind every player to win. If you root against a player, might as well do something else on Sunday.

Yea. Let the mods deal with those hateful agenda driven slime. That will teach them. Get em' mods. Get em'.

So you believe that after 4 years of backup duty, 35 total attempted passes, under 3 different OC's in that same period, a QB has nothing left to learn and the league also knows everything they need to know about him?

All I said was that using the sophomore slump as an excuse was a poor one.

Could the switch be flipped and he become a prolific passer? Maybe.

Could he be as exactly as we have seen thus far? IMO very possibly.

Will an improved Defense make him a better QB? Or just another QB that needs a good defense to win games?

It's Ground Hog Day for real in here. I'm waiting for Bill Murray to stroll in and smash the alarm clock playing "I got you babe" any minute now...

Seriously, don't you same people get tired of having the same fights with each other in every single Tyrod thread? I mean, really...

Edited by BillsFan4

The only games you're allowed to mention are the Seattle and second Miami games.

LOL. Ain't that the truth.

Pitt, NE, KC, Oak, naw those teams don't matter one little bit.

Defeating the Browns and the Bradyless Pats is something to applaud.

It's Ground Hog Day for real in here. I'm waiting for Bill Murray to stroll in and smash the alarm clock playing "I got you babe" any minute now...

Seriously, don't you same people get tired of having the same fights with each other in every single Tyrod thread? I mean, really...

that's the beauty of the ignore feature. I can ignore mr alternate truth.

Sophomore slump?!?!

Grocery baggers as WR's?

Pointless post. :doh:

Sophomore slump?!?!

Grocery baggers as WR's?

You are entitled to your opinion

LOL. Ain't that the truth.

Defeating the Browns and the Bradyless Pats is something to applaud. that's the beauty of the ignore feature. I can ignore mr alternate truth.

I usually just try to stay out of the Tyrod threads for the most part these days. I posted many pages ago in here and it was going pretty good at that time (especially for s Tyrod thread). Figured I'd check back in. That was a mistake... lol.

We didn't play the Chiefs, and the other three games you mentioned are examples of some of the worst defensive performances of the year by any team. Solid argument.

Another excuse for the books.

How is a success considered an excuse? Premium doublethink going on there.

Hyperbole and delusion.

There you go. Just needed a simple edit to avoid all that embarrassment.

I've heard of a sophomore slump. Not a 7th year super senior slump.

2015 TT was the 20th best passer or so. That being hard to match for him is a bad sign.

But I literally said yes. I wouldn't be happy.

If you're saying Taylor was the 20th best QB by production in the NFL in 2015, you're being ridiculous

You're exaggerating what I'm saying, maybe you should stop hitting your head. The team is going to identify and target at least 1 highly rated QB in the upcoming draft. Depending how things shake out they may take him with either of their 1st rounders or trade up to secure him. If the prospects they have identified are gone, obviously they aren't taking one they don't like just to take one.

You and I are generally on the same side with Taylor, but now you're backtracking regarding something we don't agree on.

You essentially guaranteed the Bills would take a QB in the 1st round next year... now you're saying only if the "prospect they have identified" is still there...?

Which is it?

So how many QBs match the criteria you set forth? What was even the point you were trying to make there?

Not a clue how many QBs match the criteria. I can't think of a single one off the top of my head.

I'm still waiting for someone to give me names. Thurm said that he could come up with 50 names. I'm still waiting on his list of 10. Do you even have 5?

Is this where we start putting words in each other's mouths because I never said he couldn't improve.

Maybe I'm getting you mixed up with other posters. It's late. I could be mistaken.

Did you not insinuate that I would be very unlikely for Taylor to improve and/or become a franchise QB given that he's going into his seventh here at this point? If you did not, I apologize.

If you did, that was the point of the post. Taylor is already the exception to the rule. Saying he won't do this because no other QBs ever do this is shortsighted considering that Taylor has already done things that QBs never do.

And that's not me saying he will, that's me saying this is still up in the air and anyone defining him one way or the other concretely is misguided.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

There are two picks at #1 for Buffalo upcoming. This is seriously awesome work!! and we should all be impressed at the forethought exhibited and then executed.

So Tyrod's play this year will likely be the major factor in how those two picks are used.
The experts say the prospects look very good indeed..
Taylor regresses and is unable to execute the Offense or is injured you consider trading up.strongly.

Taylor stays steadyish.. you want one to fall to you in the first but answer the phones. But you are taking one. early.
Taylor finds his groove... you still take a QB. But this gives you the freedom to wait or move up or down.

There is never a reason not to take a QB in this current NFL. Too hard to come by, especially when you wait till you need one. Just ask Nix and Whaley

Personally unless Taylor improves (ie is not just the same guy he has been) I am picking a QB with my 1st pick in 2018 and would consider trading up to do so.

The only caveat I'd add is I haven't evaluated the 2018 class yet but the consensus is there are good prospects to be had.

Not a clue how many QBs match the criteria. I can't think of a single one off the top of my head.

I'm still waiting for someone to give me names. Thurm said that he could come up with 50 names. I'm still waiting on his list of 10. Do you even have 5?

I'm with you and can't think of any and I'm still not sure what the point of compiling such a list would be. Maybe Thurm could better answer that one.

Maybe I'm getting you mixed up with other posters. It's late. I could be mistaken.

Did you not insinuate that I would be very unlikely for Taylor to improve and/or become a franchise QB given that he's going into his seventh here at this point? If you did not, I apologize.

If you did, that was the point of the post. Taylor is already the exception to the rule. Saying he won't do this because no other QBs ever do this is shortsighted considering that Taylor has already done things that QBs never do.

And that's not me saying he will, that's me saying this is still up in the air and anyone defining him one way or the other concretely is misguided.

I think that given his time in the league he's probably closer to his ceiling than he is to making massive strides into some top tier QB. There's probably still room for improvement but I question just how much room there really is.

Sophomore slump?!?!

Grocery baggers as WR's?

Yes grocery bagger receivers.

Don't want to discuss a topic then don't post in it. Nobody need a you to suggest where to post.

You and I are generally on the same side with Taylor, but now you're backtracking regarding something we don't agree on.

You essentially guaranteed the Bills would take a QB in the 1st round next year... now you're saying only if the "prospect they have identified" is still there...?

Which is it?

You misinterpreted my statement. I never guaranteed anything, and never will when it comes to the draft because it's completely unpredictable. I have had the same stance on how the Bills should approach the QB situation since March. I haven't wavered from this stance, and I haven't backtracked (except in your mind since you clearly know more about what I meant than I did.). Let me walk you through it.

If Tyrod is Tyrod again and we take a QB in the 1st I will have no complaints.

That's what needs to happen regardless. And then the pick needs to live up to the hype and take Tyrod's spot.

All I'm saying in this post is that regardless of how Tyrod does, he could break 5k yards and 40 TDs and my stance wouldn't change, the Bills need to target a prospect in the upcoming draft worthy of being taken in the 1st round. I'm not saying take a QB regardless of circumstances. That's idiotic. Especially when it comes to something as volatile as the draft process.

The 2nd thing I'm saying here is that no matter what we've spent on this QB, Tyrod will not be jettisoned from the roster unless his starter role is taken from him. The rookie, whomever it may be, will not just be given the keys and a clear path. He'll need to earn it.

Seriously?

Draft a QB in the first no matter what?!?!

Absolutely not!

Here's where you decided that what I actually meant was take whatever QB is there in the 1st because lol who scouts these days?

In a stacked QB class? Absolutely. At a minimum I would fully expect a 1st round rookie to be an upgrade to Yates/Peterman. Ideally, he's so good that he takes Tyrod's spot (easier said than done).

This upcoming draft is also ideal because we still have Tyrod on contract through '18. What I don't want to see is us pass on these QBs, Tyrod plays his contract out, and then we are forced to draft a QB who's thrust into action immediately because we have nobody else.

Here's where I clarified my stance for you, because you still are the only person in this conversation (of 2) that has said draft a QB no matter what.

This has been an ongoing discussion with several of the draft savvy folks on this board dating back to our strategy for this past draft. Gunner, the one I was responding to, thought we should draft a QB this past draft. I could be wrong, but I'd imagine that if GB was running the Bills we would have taken Watson at 10. I, on the other hand, have said that we would bring in a veteran presence behind Tyrod this year, and then we would go in on a QB high next year. I was a bigger fan of next year's QB crop than this year's. I also thought that it provided for an easy transition if the prospect turned out to be a good pick because he'd have a year to learn, if necessary, before he really needed to take over as the starter.

This is what I meant, not whatever theory you ascribed to me in your head. So, as a final statement on this from my end, just drop this. It's a stance I've established over months and you will look foolish the more you try to twist it to something it isn't. It can be proven in my post history, but quite frankly I don't feel like going through it.

Tyrod has significant holes in his game. end of story. no skewed stats will convince me that he can read the whole field, throw recievers open, or read defenses correctly. Hes a work in progress, hes not terrible, hes not a playoff QB either. Hes a running QB with little experience as a pocket QB. Can he take the next step? we shall see. Hes overpayed by a team desperate for anything that doesnt look like the next terrible Bills QB. Go Bills!

We didn't play the Chiefs, and the other three games you mentioned are examples of some of the worst defensive performances of the year by any team. Solid argument.

Did the Bills not lose to KC in 2015 when they had a lead and were tearing it up in the passing game in the first half and just like the Raiders game blew it in the 2nd half by abandoning the passing game?

it was the same guy under center TT.

BTW. Sorry if the truth hurt your feelings.

If you're saying Taylor was the 20th best QB by production in the NFL in 2015, you're being ridiculous

Which is it?

How did TT rank as a QB in 2015?

The defense was the main problem in 2016.

There were three main problems last year. Offense, defense and special teams.

Yeah, the defense was the worst. But we didn't have one really strong unit. We had a strong part of a unit, the offensive run game. But nobody was intimidated by our offense overall, or any other unit.

Kurt Warner was bagging groceries before joining the Rams.

Yeah our receivers were totally comparable to Kurt Warner.

No less pointless than any other post in this thread...including you're own.

On the contrary... a lot of posts are discussing/arguing the topic. Your post is just insults and trying to tell people what to do.